The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Sam - Switch has sold more units than Xbox so far and PS4 has more than doubled Xbox sales. That's immensely disappointing.

The thing to remember is that this is only Microsoft's first-party games that are going to be cross-gen for a while. If, say, Ubisoft wants to make their new Assassin's Creed be next-gen only then there's nothing stopping them.

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
PS2 sold 155 million units. PS4 is around 100-110 million (they hit 103 last October). They are the #1 and #2 best selling consoles of all time.

When it comes to selling software, you want that install base because it's the potential customers. Launch games get a lot of sales from the fact that there's not much else available for people to buy with their shiny new boxes, but they are also bought exclusively by people who have the shiny new boxes. Making a game cross-gen means having tens of millions of potential customers in addition to the new ones buying up that shiny new box.

You're right that installed base isn't that important, but what IS important is the attach rate (games sold for each console). But that's only important if there are enough consoles sold for the attach rate to translate to a large number of game sales. As of about a year ago, the PS4 attach rate was roughly 10 games per console (no data for Xbox).

Sony may sell Spider-man to only 10% of PS4 owners, but that means over 10 million units. If Microsoft sells Halo to 10% of Xbox owners, that's only 4 million units. But if MS can get 10% of people who own an Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PC, or xCloud subscription to buy the next Halo then that means WAY more units being sold.

(Note: Sony is supposedly implementing backward compatibility into PS5 going back to PS1 games, has PS Now on PC and mobile, and will likely have something else to balance out against what MS is doing. Should be a fun generation.)

Reactions: Steve Y

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Sounds really powerful and I'm excited at the possibilities of...umm...suspending multiple games and...really short loading times.

(Note: I'm being sarcastic, but I'm actually really excited for both of those things. The Switch has spoiled me on the simplicity of booting up a game almost instantly and putting it down right when I want. If a console from Sony/MS can come closer to that then I'll be extremely happy.)

Would be nice to see some next-gen games.

Reactions: Sam Posten

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
The form factor and size of it look awkward for a living room, regardless of what one its designers said. Also, it really comes down to the games and exclusives. There was nothing in XBOX1 exclusives that I ever wanted to play, so the console has almost never been turned on since I first purchased it.

Reactions: DavidJ

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
I found it amusing how they were waxing on about how transformative this new gen XBOX was and their two "tech demos" were "Gears of War" and "Minecraft": two old dinosaur games.

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
The rumors are that Microsoft is going to announce a smaller, cheaper, weaker Xbox Series S by/around E3 that will be a budget option and probably have a more "normal" size/shape. The Series X is going to be their top-tier system that will come at a premium price, so by announcing it first and it being more powerful than the PS5 they can say they have the most powerful console right now. Rumors also say that Sony is going to announce a PS5 Pro for launch which will be more powerful than the Series X, so who knows right now.

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
I think releasing downgraded versions of new gen systems is a waste, especially with the core gamer market. Any more than casual gamer is going to gravitate to the top tier release when it comes to these new systems.

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I found it amusing how they were waxing on about how transformative this new gen XBOX was and their two "tech demos" were "Gears of War" and "Minecraft": two old dinosaur games.
Yes but to Minecraft addicts like me, that is enough to get me to buy the system.

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Edwin - I think there's a good argument for having a lower-price and higher-price model both available at the same time, even if the end result is to sort of drive consumers towards the more expensive option while being able to say the "entry level" model is a more acceptable/standard price, but I agree that Microsoft's approach of announcing a super-powerful console that is going to eventually price most people out of the market then seemingly offering a crappy model to consumers as a consolation later is weird. Sure, they get to say they're more powerful right now, but people will balk at a $500-600 price tag then lose interest in the $300-400 option.

That said, if Sony is really releasing 2 pieces of hardware but announcing them in the reverse style of Microsoft, I'm honestly not sure that strategy is significantly better. The hardcore gamers who pay attention will probably already have their minds made up either way but most consumers won't know what's happening until everything is nearly on store shelves.

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
it’s certainly an interesting premise and promise that they lay out, but the big place where Microsoft failed With XB1 is in exclusives. Great hardware, but very Limited exclusives that made use of it. Don’t get me wrong, I have a XB1X and I love it, I also have a PS4 Pro, and a Switch, but for all these systems I am not running out to adopt next gen in year one, show me the games and we’ll talk.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ekelks