1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Imo, it’s the best Star Wars game yet released so I would reconsider. It’s gotten great reviews too. Just finished it today and it was a lengthy terrific campaign.

Sam Posten and Bryan^H like this.
  2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Pretty amazing.

Tino likes this.
  3. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I mostly lost interest since I heard it had a lot of gameplay similarities with Dark Souls. That's a quality franchise and I've spent a couple of hours here and there watching a friend from AtariAge playing through them, but it's a franchise that doesn't personally look like my type of game.

But it sounds like I should look into it more before selling it off and potentially regretting it later.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Let's Go!

https://kotaku.com/the-next-gen-xbox-is-called-xbox-series-x-1840401954

• Yes, the box can sit both vertically and horizontally
    • The controller is technically new. Microsoft say “Its size and shape have been refined to accommodate an even wider range of people, and it also features a new Share button to make capturing screenshots and game clips simple and an advanced d-pad derived from the Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller. The new Xbox Wireless Controller will be compatible with Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, and will be included with every Xbox Series X.
    • It’ll support 60fps at 4K, “with possibility of up to 120FPS”, and will also support 8K visuals.
    • The Xbox Series X has a “next-generation SSD will virtually eliminate load times.”
    • It’s backwards compatible! Across all previous Xboxes! “Thanks to backward compatibility, you can expect your gaming legacy, thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, all your Xbox One gaming accessories, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to be available when you power on your Xbox Series X in Holiday 2020.”
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

Tino, Bryan^H and LeoA like this.
  5. Message #205 of 223 Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    One thing is for sure, nobody will ever call the outside of it pretty. :)

The careful wording about backwards compatibility should dissuade anyone that's still hopeful that their Xbox and Xbox 360 libraries will be substantially compatible here (Something like Steel Battalion obviously was without even a glimmer of hope).

It sure would've been special though had it played all Xbox and Xbox 360 discs (And Xbox 360 downloads), but at least the backwards compatibility initiative on the Xbox One got a lot of classics going and that's all being carried forward.

Maybe someday when the teething troubles are ironed out, we'll start to see further Xbox and Xbox 360 additions to the BC list. The former in particular is very poorly represented today where the number of titles and selections are concerned (Although their implementation was top notch).

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Honestly, I found the whole announcement really underwhelming. I think the console is ugly and the name is terrible. Everything else about it was basically known (through leaks or official comments). The controller being so similar to the XBO is smart since they aren't reinventing the wheel, with the one main addition (the Share button) being just a standard industry thing now.

I think the name is supposed to actually just be "Xbox" and that particular unit is the "Series X." Meaning, they could come up with new "Series" models (like the rumored under-powered/cheap console and any future mid-gen upgrades) without having to make a new name. Microsoft previously said, like a week ago, that the console names are always supposed to invoke the idea of what the console does, with the 360 being an all-encompassing entertainment device and the One being the "all in just one input" device. (As to how the logic behind those two names significantly differs...I dunno, the HDMI pass-through that nobody used?) So what does "Series X" mean? It probably means they're going to launch a whole line of consoles in the generation at the same time, like the One, S, and X if they had all released at launch rather than over 5 years.

All of that said, this announcement was both cool to see come out of nowhere while also sort of reeking of desperation. To be fair, I think Sony's extremely-early talk about how powerful the PS5 would be is also an act of desperation. But I felt Sony talking about PS5 was to get ahead of leaks while MS naming and showing Series X was about building hype and trying to convince people that they learned their lessons with the One...which I don't think worked. The thing looks like a PC tower, not a console, even if you put it horizontally. That's not the lesson MS should have learned from the One stuff.

So...now we get to wonder what the rest of the Series will look like. I'm gonna guess they have a line of similar-looking boxes of different sizes so that you can easily differentiate them. There will be a really tiny one that acts as a streaming box so you can access xCloud, there will be a mid-sized one that will be their mid-range console, and then the massive Series X.

7. Message #207 of 223 Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Did someone just change the name of this thread? Pretty jarring to click into the Xbox Series X and immediately see a post saying 'I just ordered mine, reviews are stellar!' :D

Anyway, as a playstation owner who doesn't really follow Xbox, I'm massively confused about what this is supposed to be. Is this the next gen Xbox ala the Playstation 5 equivalent? Is this a current gen upgrade ala the Playstation Pro equivalent? Or is it just another redesign of the current gen?

The name 'Series' kind of implies there's going to be a bunch of different models, which seems like they're just turning it into a PC line. If that's the case, then what's the point? Why not just get a PC? I thought the whole point of a console is standardization so you don't need to deal with a bunch of different models or upgrades?

8. Message #208 of 223 Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    This is the next generation of Xbox gaming, just as the Playstation 5 will be for Sony. It was the Xbox One X from 2017 that was the Microsoft equivalent of the Playstation 4 Pro.

As for the series name and the potential ramifications of that, we've already seen that happen to both the Xbox and Playstation this generation. Console horsepower isn't static for the duration anymore and both companies are selling variants of their current lineup at different power/cost tiers.

Jeff Cooper likes this.
  9. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Wise idea.

I played some of Dark Souls and didn’t like it at all. I can’t stop playing Jedi. It’s awesome.

10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

The console is about as attractive as a subwoofer. But come to think about it XBox consoles have never been pleasing to the eye.

Backward compatible cherry picking with a "list", or support for every (or close to every) disc title?

I wonder what the unannounced exclusive AAA titles are. I'm intrigued.

No way I'm buying both this and the PS5. Exclusives will be the driving force for my purchase, now more than ever. I really want Microsoft to get some undeniable "must have" exclusives next gen. They need it to stay viable. Great time to be a gamer though, big choices, or best of both worlds if you are rich.

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Unless SONY completely shits the bed, the PS5 will probably be the only console I buy in the next gen. I have an XBOX ONE and the number of hours I have used it can be counted on one hand.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

It looks like Microsoft is just calling their next console "Xbox" and this particular model is their high-end version called "Series X." There are rumors that they're making two consoles for launch, with one being a mid-range console and the other being a high-end console, so most likely what they showed off was the high-end one.

They said the names of their console is supposed to speak to what the console is for, so I'm guessing that simply calling this "Xbox" means it's all about the brand and it's history since it has full backward compatibility to the original Xbox. That said...I mean...hopefully there's more?

13. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    My impression actually is that Xbox Series X is the family name of Microsoft's next generation Xbox platform and that each specific iteration of that system, of which the industry believes two are likely planned to be available at launch, will carry names of their own.

Beyond my backwards compatibility curiosity that I fully expect to not be satisfied on, I'm actually most curious right now about what happens to the Xbox One family. We already know that at least some next-gen Xbox games will continue to support the Xbox One S and Xbox One X, with the upcoming Halo being one such release. But what we don't know is if this last-gen support is actually a mandate for Xbox Series X software during the generation transition (It obviously wouldn't last more than a couple of years), or if it's up to each individual publisher/developer to decide what's best for their game.

Also, while I can't imagine the high end Xbox One X to have a commercial future and fully expect it to be quietly discontinued and start disappearing from store shelves this coming summer, what happens to the Xbox One S after this new platform launches? Do we see the fairly standard $200 MSRP pricing during the Christmas season be made the everyday MSRP so that Microsoft can offer consumers a budget choice alongside their expensive next-generation hardware, or do we see it just get killed off after 2020 in favor of the lower end iteration of the Xbox Series X family?

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Microsoft clarified yesterday that the next console generation is indeed simply called "Xbox" and that this particular console is "Series X." Basically, the same as the "Xbox One" generation having the S and X versions; the generation was "Xbox One" but the specific console was "Xbox One S" or "Xbox One X." They're just jumping out of the gate with "Series X" up front so people know that they are likely doing multiple consoles or mid-gen upgrades like before.

I would imagine Microsoft will want to position the One X as the "cheap" alternative to a Series X by pushing GamePass, xCloud, and forward-compatibility going into next fall. They'll probably move to get rid of the S entirely, push the S All-Digital Edition for people who want REALLY cheap gaming, and slash prices on everything. Discontinuing hardware production can probably happen at any time since...well...the Ones aren't exactly flying off the shelves and there should be plenty of inventory left for a while.

The One S All-Digital Edition has been on sale for like $150, the S for about $200-250, and the One X for about $300-350 during the holidays. I could see those becoming $100, $150, and $250 by next fall and the Series X launching at $400 (if MS is smart). Otherwise, there could be 2+ units launching at a variety of price points that puts the Series X at $500 or $600 against a lower-tier console at $300-400.

15. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Thanks, I didn't hear that news about the name.

16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

This idea about no exclusives for the X Box Series X is crazy. Why buy it at launch when you can play any of the games on any XBox One system?

New exclusive games on a freshly launched game system have always been the only reason I get excited for the launch in the first place. Very odd decision by Microsoft.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Bryan - the argument you're presenting kind of already exists: why buy an Xbox One if Game Pass will give you the same games but on PC?

The truth: MS, Sony, and Nintendo make their money on game sales, not console sales. MS is rumored to be investigating the possibility of xCloud streaming on the Switch and has already put 2 of their exclusives on it (Ori and Cuphead). Nintendo turns a slight profit on every console sold while MS and Sony traditionally lose money on the consoles and make it back on software. So if MS can guarantee that a game will sell extremely well because it's on Xbox One AND Series X at the same time, rather than having the limited brand-new install base of Series X owners, then it's a good economic strategy.

Frankly, the Xbox One sold pretty poorly. The Series X is best off by trying to be a way for non-Xbox gamers to catch up on everything they've missed out on while not alienating current Xbox One owners. I wouldn't be surprised if the Series X versions of games offer better visuals (which, let's be honest, is basically the main reason people buy new consoles) and some other minor enhancements in a way similar to One S vs. One X performance, so people who want to buy a Series X will be incentivized to buy the Series X versions of games.

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah 41 million consoles sold is fucking terrible. :rolleyes:

19. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I don't hate the idea. It is just such a different approach for a system launch.
    If anything it just made me breathe a little easier knowing I don't have to drop another $500 for a game console to play the newest games. It will be interesting to see how this strategy works for Microsoft.

LeoA likes this.
  20. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    As a new Xbox One S owner, I'm happy to hear I'll get access to Forza Motorsport 8 and hopefully Forza Horizon 5 in 2021 (Presumably skipping 2019 was just to get FM8 all polished for a launch title in 2020 to avoid a repeat of FM2 and FM5, with Forza then returning to an annual schedule again with a new Horizon game next year).

In this day and age I have my doubts it's a big problem. Hard to picture visions that can't be realized on the Xbox One family and developers are well versed these days in coding for widely varying levels of performance. So I think it's a nice move during this transition period to allow Xbox One gamers to still enjoy 1st party releases for these next couple of years, which hopefully won't cause undue harm to next-gen Xbox customers.

Enhanced performance and visual quality should still sell their platform, not to mention that 3rd party publishers aren't bound to this promise.