What's new

The X-Files Season One in HD on Netflix (1 Viewer)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Looking at the screencaps on the "other site", it appears that X-Files was fully protected for 16:9 after seasons 1 and 2. There was hardly any top or bottom cropping for the HD remastered episodes from season 3 onward.

Unfortunately, at least for season 1 anyways, there are quite a few very short SD upscaled sequences. And I'm not talking about special effects shots or b-roll stock footage either. Some of it just Mulder and Scully walking the office corridor. Apparently they weren't able to find the HD material they needed for those scenes. They can be a bit jarring at times since they are so obviously not HD. This may be why a blu-ray release hasn't been done yet and why Netflix hasn't publicized the new HD episodes.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The new 1080 HD/5.1 DD+ X-Files on Netflix look and sound fantastic for the most part. A major upgrade! I had just started re-watching the series last week and only got up to episode 3 and kept thinking, Hmmmm, these are difficult to watch knowing there are HD versions out there. Thus, last night once I found out about this, I re-watched episodes one and two and will now cruise through the rest of season one with a slow burn instead of a binge. Hopefully this is only the beginning and Netflix will keep adding seasons in HD.

TravisR said:
Kevin Smith named his dogs Mulder and Scully. He says that he'll be watching The X-Files and someone on the show says "Mulder" and the dog looks around confused trying to figure out who is talking to him.
Christian T Lee said:
That is a cute story in regards to Kevin Smiths dogs, thanks for sharing it :)
Thanks!

Sadly, Kevin Smith's dog Mulder recently passed away. :(

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/kevin-smith-offers-touching-tribute-dog-passes-article-1.2112415

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevinSmith/photos/a.77596326929.88348.6985046929/10152573595716930/?type=1

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Hi All.

Looks like various episodes of Season Two have started to appear in HD on Netflix US now.

Not the entire season but a good amount. I am sure it will only be a few days before the entire season will be in HD judging from the Season One HD roll out.

Take care

Chris

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Never having seen this show at all, I watched the HD version of episode 1 last night. My initial impression when the girl was running through the woods was that it looked no better than DVD-quality with the woods lacking detail, but by the time there was a closeup on the girl's face, it looked pretty sharp and clear. I didn't have any issues with the cropping.

The night before, I watched the first episode of Mad Men on Netflix, and it was probably the best-looking show I've ever seen. Measured against that, X-Files looked soft. But, that's not a fair comparison by any stretch. A more appropriate comparison? I enjoyed the first episodes of both shows, but didn't love them. I'll have to watch more to hopefully see what the fuss is about in both cases.

So, what's the story with X-Files on Netflix? Is it HD for all of seasons 1 and 2 now, and nothing else? Are seasons 3 and 4 in 4x3 or were those already cropped to widescreen? Are 5 and up already HD, or were they originally broadcast letterboxed and in standard def? If I like the show, I'm going to try to jam it all in before the new series starts up. With 201 to go, plus movies, I don't have a lot of time to wait around for Netflix to add HD versions if they are needed!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Basic infö is this

X Files Season 1-4 were broadcast in OAR 4x3 and released on DVD in the same way. There seems to be evidence that the show was protected for 16:9 but framed for 4:3.

X Files Season 5-9 were released in 16:9 DVD and shown on TV in some countries this way but some also broadcast 4:3. Again it seems likely the show was framed for 4:3 and protected for 16:9 judging by screenshots but this isn't as clear as the DVD release was 16:9 from Season 5 onwards.

Fox have been remastering the show in HD but completely 16:9. Whether its cropping or opening up the frame depends on the shot, and its unclear who is doing the reframing. I think most effects shot have simply been left alone and not remastered in HD like TNG, thought some who have seen it claim it depends on the effect. Show started being released on TV in Europe in HD which is where most of the screenshots come from

Netflix have been adding some seasons in HD but no clear timetable as been set as to when the whole show will be released. I assume it will just be done as they go along as there doesn't seem to be any promotional push from Fox about the HD versions. I think there was originally a plan to release a Bluray set but this seems to have cooled like most TV on Bluray. However now the new series has been announced I suppose there is hope a Bluray release might be done either before or possible based on any potential success of the new show being released on Bluray and selling well.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I think some of the effects shots have been redone in HD, but some have not. There are also plenty of non-effects shots that are still upscaled from analog broadcast masters and not from film sources.

My guess is that Fox is syndicating the show on TV and streaming outlets to bring in additional funds to complete the remastering project for home video release.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
It would be nice if this was the case and Im really hoping for a 4:3 release of at least 1-4 on Bluray, though not expecting it unfortunately. To be honest they should probably do what Galactica did - release a complete 4x3 version and a complete 16:9 version

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
As of today (June 1, 2015), here are the episodes that are available on Netflix

Season One

All 24 episodes are in HD.

Season Two

1) Little Green Men - SD

2) The Host - HD

3) Blood - SD

4) Sleepless - HD

5) Duane Barry - HD

6) Ascension - HD

7) 3 - HD

8) One Breath - HD

9) Firewalker - HD

10) Red Museum - HD

11) Excelsis Dei - HD

12) Aubrey - HD

13) Irresistible - HD

14) Die Hand Die Verletzt - HD

15) Fresh Bones - HD

16) Colony - HD

17) End Game - HD

18) Fearful Symmetry - HD

19) Død Kalm - HD

20) Humbug - HD

21) The Calusari - HD

22) F. Emasculata - HD

23) Soft Light - HD

24) Our Town - SD

25) Anasazi - HD

Season Three

All 24 episodes are in SD.

Season Four

Season Five

1) Redux - SD

2) Redux II - SD

3) Unusual Suspects - SD

4) Detour - SD

5) The Post-Modern Prometheus - SD

6) Christmas Carol - SD

7) Emily - SD

8) Kitsunegari - SD

9) Schizogeny - SD

10) Chinga - SD

11) Kill Switch - SD

12) Bad Blood - SD

13) Patient X - SD

14) The Red and Black - SD

15) Travelers - SD

16) Mind's Eye - SD

17) All Souls - HD

18) The Pine Bluff Varient - HD

19) Folie à Deux - HD

20) The End - HD

Season Six

All 22 episodes are in HD.

Season Seven

1) The Sixth Extinction - HD

2) The Sixth Extinction II: Armor Fati - HD

3) Hungry - HD

4) Millenium - HD

5) Rush - HD

6) The Goldberg Variation - HD

7) Orison - SD

8) The Amazing Maleeni - SD

9) Signs and Wonders - SD

10) Sein Und Zeit - SD

11) Closure - HD

12) X-Cops - SD

13) First Person Shooter - HD

14) Theef - HD

15) En Ami - SD

16) Chimera - SD

17) All Things - SD

18) Brand X - SD

19) Hollywood A.D. - SD

20) Fight Club - SD

21) Je Souhaite - SD

22) Requime - SD

Season Eight

All 21 episodes are in SD.

Season Nine

1) Nothing Important Happened Today - HD

2) Nothing Important Happened Today II - HD

3) Dæmonicus - HD

4) 4-D - HD

5) Lord of the Flies - HD

6) Trust No 1 - HD

7) John Doe - HD

8) Hellbound - SD

9) Provenance - HD

10) Providence - HD

11) Audrey Pauley - HD

12) Underneath - HD

13) Improbable - HD

14) Scary Monsters - HD

15) Jump the Shark - HD

16) William - HD

17) Release - HD

18) Sunshine Days - HD

19) The Truth - SD

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
revgen said:

Season One

Season Two

1) Little Green Men - SD

2) The Host - HD

3) Blood - SD

4) Sleepless - HD

5) Duane Barry - HD

6) Ascension - HD

7) 3 - HD

8) One Breath - HD

9) Firewalker - HD

10) Red Museum - HD

11) Excelsis Dei - HD

12) Aubrey - HD

13) Irresistible - HD

15) Fresh Bones - HD

16) Colony - HD

17) End Game - HD

19) Død Kalm - HD

20) Humbug - HD

21) The Calusari - HD

22) F. Emasculata - HD

23) Soft Light - HD

24) Our Town - SD

25) Anasazi - HD

Season Three

Season Four

Season Five

1) Redux - SD

2) Redux II - SD

3) Unusual Suspects - SD

4) Detour - SD

6) Christmas Carol - SD

7) Emily - SD

8) Kitsunegari - SD

9) Schizogeny - SD

10) Chinga - SD

11) Kill Switch - SD

12) Bad Blood - SD

13) Patient X - SD

15) Travelers - SD

16) Mind's Eye - SD

17) All Souls - HD

19) Folie à Deux - HD

20) The End - HD

Season Six

Season Seven

3) Hungry - HD

4) Millenium - HD

5) Rush - HD

7) Orison - SD

10) Sein Und Zeit - SD

11) Closure - HD

12) X-Cops - SD

14) Theef - HD

15) En Ami - SD

16) Chimera - SD

17) All Things - SD

18) Brand X - SD

19) Hollywood A.D. - SD

20) Fight Club - SD

21) Je Souhaite - SD

22) Requime - SD

Season Eight

Season Nine

3) Dæmonicus - HD

4) 4-D - HD

6) Trust No 1 - HD

7) John Doe - HD

8) Hellbound - SD

9) Provenance - HD

10) Providence - HD

11) Audrey Pauley - HD

12) Underneath - HD

13) Improbable - HD

14) Scary Monsters - HD

15) Jump the Shark - HD

16) William - HD

17) Release - HD

18) Sunshine Days - HD

19) The Truth - SD
Thank you for all your research Dan, very much appreciated. Looking forward to Triangle in HD from S06 as I always found the DVD was lacking in picture quality.

Thanks again,

Christian

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I watched Ghost in the Machine a couple of nights ago and it was definitely no better than DVD quality. I was watching off-peak, but maybe I was being throttled. I watched Ice last night, also off-peak, and I would say it looked HD.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
So as of today only season 1 is still in HD on Netflix. Weird how they rolled almost all of it out and then reverted back to the 480p 4:3 masters. They look horrible too. Almost like VHS with that video broadcast noise to them.

Strange thing though is I checked Amazon Prime Instant Video (as I was finished with season 1 and was wanting to move on to season 2) and what they have are the 16:9 HD masters but not in HD as they will only stream at 480p. You can tell they're the new ones because they're 16:9 and the font used in the opening credits is the new one from the HD masters.

revgen said:

Season One

Season Two

1) Little Green Men - SD

2) The Host - HD

3) Blood - SD

4) Sleepless - HD

5) Duane Barry - HD

6) Ascension - HD

7) 3 - HD

8) One Breath - HD

9) Firewalker - HD

10) Red Museum - HD

11) Excelsis Dei - HD

12) Aubrey - HD

13) Irresistible - HD

15) Fresh Bones - HD

16) Colony - HD

17) End Game - HD

19) Død Kalm - HD

20) Humbug - HD

21) The Calusari - HD

22) F. Emasculata - HD

23) Soft Light - HD

24) Our Town - SD

25) Anasazi - HD

Season Three

Season Four

Season Five

1) Redux - SD

2) Redux II - SD

3) Unusual Suspects - SD

4) Detour - SD

6) Christmas Carol - SD

7) Emily - SD

8) Kitsunegari - SD

9) Schizogeny - SD

10) Chinga - SD

11) Kill Switch - SD

12) Bad Blood - SD

13) Patient X - SD

15) Travelers - SD

16) Mind's Eye - SD

17) All Souls - HD

19) Folie à Deux - HD

20) The End - HD

Season Six

Season Seven

3) Hungry - HD

4) Millenium - HD

5) Rush - HD

7) Orison - SD

10) Sein Und Zeit - SD

11) Closure - HD

12) X-Cops - SD

14) Theef - HD

15) En Ami - SD

16) Chimera - SD

17) All Things - SD

18) Brand X - SD

19) Hollywood A.D. - SD

20) Fight Club - SD

21) Je Souhaite - SD

22) Requime - SD

Season Eight

Season Nine

3) Dæmonicus - HD

4) 4-D - HD

6) Trust No 1 - HD

7) John Doe - HD

8) Hellbound - SD

9) Provenance - HD

10) Providence - HD

11) Audrey Pauley - HD

12) Underneath - HD

13) Improbable - HD

14) Scary Monsters - HD

15) Jump the Shark - HD

16) William - HD

17) Release - HD

18) Sunshine Days - HD

19) The Truth - SD

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The close-ups in this or any TV show of its era are always tight - that's the way they do it and have done it from the beginning, usually framing from just below the chin up to the hairline. From what I've read this show was shot in Super 35 - so if you compare the 16x9 to the 4.3 you'll see the headroom is very similar - just a teeny bit looser on top. Where the difference is is on the sides, where there is much more information - and that framing, I hate to tell you, looks MUCH better in widescreen - much more balanced compositions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
Where the difference is is on the sides, where there is much more information - and that framing, I hate to tell you, looks MUCH better in widescreen - much more balanced compositions.
It's subjective but it doesn't look better to me. The empty space on the sides doesn't ruin the show or its photography by any stretch but generally speaking, it's easy to see that all pertinent info is in the 4x3 frame and the extra space on the sides adds nothing to the shot but extra space.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
TravisR said:
It's subjective but it doesn't look better to me. The empty space on the sides doesn't ruin the show or its photography by any stretch but generally speaking, it's easy to see that all pertinent info is in the 4x3 frame and the extra space on the sides adds nothing to the shot but extra space.
Yes, it is subjective. If this were a Mario Bava film someone would be complaining about all that side info cut in half in 4.3. You know they would because according to those folks no cameraman would ever cut anything off on the sides. By that logic, the original broadcast ratio commits that sin in just about every shot. That is, of course, nonsense and show just how silly those Bava comments are. But I found in many of the shots the extra side information made for a pleasing composition.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The DoP is on record as saying the show initially was composed 4x3,so not sure what your point is. The only reason the 16x9 shots look any good is because it seems they were protecting for it, but all it does is mean they won't be many mistakes on the sides and the occasional wide shot may look better. But the show was shot for 4x3 - isn't one reason for tight shots often to help increase the claustrophobic feel and tension of a scene, something inherent to many scenes in the X Files ??

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Simon Massey said:
The DoP is on record as saying the show initially was composed 4x3,so not sure what your point is. The only reason the 16x9 shots look any good is because it seems they were protecting for it, but all it does is mean they won't be many mistakes on the sides and the occasional wide shot may look better. But the show was shot for 4x3 - isn't one reason for tight shots often to help increase the claustrophobic feel and tension of a scene, something inherent to many scenes in the X Files ??
I get it. I'm just saying because it was shot on Super 35, the top and bottom of the frame stay relatively the same in both ratios. Tight close-ups on TV are not peculiar to this show, however. That's they way they've always been composed since the beginning of the medium.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
As I moved into season 2, I was initially disappointed in going to 4x3 (I know, I know . . . OAR). I've quickly adjusted and, though not HD, the composition is very appealing with nice contrast and blacks. And, I'm hooked in now. I wanted to watch Falling Skies last night, but I said, "No way. Not when this is promising to be the wrap up of the Duane Barry storyline (One Breath)!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks