What's new

The X Files is coming back! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was disappointed Agent T-1000 wasn't appearing in season 10, until I saw the way Carter utterly ruined Reyes in the stupidest, flimsiest way possible in the season finale.

Carter's new mythology is just bizarre. It makes the entire show unbelievable to me. The problem then becomes, if all of the episodes take place in a world where this mythology exists, that means even the stand-alones aren't built on a good foundation. Mulder and Scully are together again because... aliens aren't real?

I lived for the X-Files mythology during the original run of the show, and what he's done to the mythology is so awful.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I will always love the original series, particularly the first six seasons. And I will always smile when I see Mulder and Scully together. But I think the new X-FILES ship has sailed for me. So much of the last series was hard to watch...when it could have easily been so good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I will say that there was one moment in the new season that was uniquely and profoundly beautiful to me.

I think in the second episode, Mulder has a dream of what his life would have been like if he had raised his son. And there's a brief scene of Mulder and William watching "2001: A Space Odyssey" and them talking about it. That's my all time favorite movie, and it's a moment I've imagined having with a potential future child ever since I was a teenager. To see that rendered onscreen was an incredibly moving experience for me. I never thought of Mulder as being my avatar but the sentiment was perfect.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Try watching the entire series with your son or future progeny as I did this past year (though Netflix cut out on us in the middle of season 9); that was so rewarding to see him getting hooked on it, as well. (His girlfriend, not so much, lol).

And we did 2001: A Space Odyssey, as well, but that required a lot of explanation on my part and patience on his part. Just go with the visuals, I had to emphasize. But when you're waiting 20 minutes going through the entire procedure for a pod to re-dock, I had to explain how this was so mind-blowing in 1967 (and realistically detailed).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
And we did 2001: A Space Odyssey, as well, but that required a lot of explanation on my part and patience on his part. Just go with the visuals, I had to emphasize. But when you're waiting 20 minutes going through the entire procedure for a pod to re-dock, I had to explain how this was so mind-blowing in 1967 (and realistically detailed).

I watched 2001 with my wife many years ago when the film came out on blu-ray. She'd never seen it. She was engrossed in the movie, and then the end happens with the images of the starchild and then... credits. And without pausing, she said "Wait, what the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
8 of the 10 episodes will be monster of the week next season. I'm sure most people will say that's good but I'd rather see them make 10 mythology episodes that told a 10 episode long tale with a beginning, middle and end. Unlike doing 2 episodes, 10 episodes allows you to establish, build on and pay off a 'big' story. Last season is evidence that doing 2 mythology episodes is not enough time to give scope to what should be an important story.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/08/x-files-largely-ditching-mythology-episodes-next-season/

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They don't seem to know where to go with the mythology, so the less of it the better, IMO.

Plus with MOW, if you miss an episode you're not lost for the rest of the season, possibly why the network may have encouraged them to go in that direction. If it's all serialized mythology, a viewer misses an episode and they may not bother to watch the rest of the season, affecting the ratings.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I completely agree with Malcolm about the mythology episodes. In the last series of episodes, they were undoubtedly the weakest episodes of the run. At this point, I find the mythology confused and rambling anyway.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They don't seem to know where to go with the mythology, so the less of it the better, IMO.

Plus with MOW, if you miss an episode you're not lost for the rest of the season, possibly why the network may have encouraged them to go in that direction. If it's all serialized mythology, a viewer misses an episode and they may not bother to watch the rest of the season, affecting the ratings.
You're right that some viewers might miss an episode and drop the show but if they came up with a really cool 10 episode serialized story, they might pull off something great that attracts viewers. Last season didn't really use much of the mythology from the original run anyway so doing a self-contained alien conspiracy story isn't impossible.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You're right that some viewers might miss an episode and drop the show but if they came up with a really cool 10 episode serialized story, they might pull off something great that attracts viewers.

Agreed.

Also, the television landscape is quite different than it was when The X-Files originally aired. If you missed a mythology episode during the first run in the 1990s, that was pretty much that. Maybe they'd re-run it over the summer, or maybe you could catch it in syndication years later, but there wasn't really an option if you missed the first airing. I remember that I often watched the show with one of my friends on Friday nights, alternating whose house we'd have the sleepover at, and if one of us missed one, the little bits we'd hear from other people would make it sound legendary.

But in 2017, there are plenty of options if you miss a first airing of a serialized story. These will air at least once on Fox. They'll be on Fox's official website for free streaming the day after they air. They'll also be on Hulu for both free and paid subscription streaming the day after they air. And they'll also be available for purchase for $1.99 an episode on services like iTunes and Vudu the morning after the air date.

Twenty-five years ago, if you missed it, you were probably screwed. Nowadays, it's not an issue for the majority of TV viewers.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm in the minority on this I guess. I really was crushed when they destroyed the mythology, I loved the twists and turns of the original alien conspiracy. Sure it got somewhat convoluted, but the anticipation was always there for me, week after week. Monster of the week was a nice break, but the underlying conspiracy was always the strength of the show for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the minority on this I guess. I really was crushed when they destroyed the mythology, I loved the twists and turns of the original alien conspiracy. Sure it got somewhat convoluted, but the anticipation was always there for me, week after week. Monster of the week was a nice break, but the underlying conspiracy was always the strength of the show for me.
Same here. The mythology is the spine of the series (and one of the elements of the series that set the template for the serialized storytelling that is commonplace today) and the monster of the weeks hung off of that. That being said, I certainly enjoy many of the monster episodes so I can understand how someone prefers those episodes to the mythology.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If for nothing else, the revival was worth it for the "reverse werewolf" episode. That was pretty clever. Kind of like how I shudder to think if Rob Halford hadn't returned to Judas Priest, we'd not have had "Worth Fighting For," the prequel song to the great "Desert Plains."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks