What's new

The X Files is coming back! (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
OTOH, I have in the past bought entire series of shows based on my good memories of them and found my memories of them to be grossly exagerated. *cough*ManFromUNCLE*cough*[/QUOTE]

I had that same experience. Sometimes Thomas Wolfe is right, you can't go home (to UNCLE) again. But if you can blot out certain revelations since, the series I Spy also holds up beautifully and is worth a revisiting. It was a sophisticated show with grown up characters and plots, and that didn't depend on gimmicks or gadgetry. And the exotic location scenery doesn't hurt, either.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No cliffhanger this time!

I didn't see that in the article - or are you saying that's your wish?

That run of X-Files episodes last year was such a weird thing for me. For the entire run of the original series, I loved the mythology episodes and was at best indifferent to the monster-of-the-week episodes. Yet for this revival, I absolutely hated their mythology episodes (which bizarrely tried to claim that everything we saw in the original series was a hoax) but enjoyed their monsters-of-the-week this time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree completely about the last revival. The monsters-of-the-week were entertaining stories; the mythology was confused, at odds with what had gone before, and deeply irritating.

Honestly, I wish they would do ONLY monster stories.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The last episode of the season killed what enthusiasm I had for new X-Files.

Sure, I'll watch the new season, but when the best episode of the entire run was a Kolchak revival retread with the serial numbers filed off, I don't have much hope.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see that in the article - or are you saying that's your wish?
Oops, it's just a wish. Edited my previous post.

I was OK with 2/3 of the S10 episodes but unfortunately, I didn't like the last two episodes (episode 5 was awful and episode 6 went out on a friggin' cliffhanger which won't be given resolution for a couple years) so the season went out on a big down note for me.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Can't generate much enthusiasm for this next set. I was severely disappointed by the limited series (10) last year. Not sure if I will view this one or not.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Chris Carter needs to take a page from George Lucas and let a fresh group of talented people take over. His episodes were, by far, the weakest part of season 10, to the point where those episodes dragged the whole thing down.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Personally I am thrilled with this news, and maybe a 10 episode season will let it breath a bit then only 6 from last season. Seemed a little confining with only 6.

I still find that "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" to be a riot :)
Bring it on!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's too bad that Chris Carter is clinging onto this until the bitter end. I'd be more interested if they brought in a fresh new voice who was a fan of the original run.

I don't think it's necessarily bad that Carter is involved.

I think what's bad is the new mythology he came up with. By all means, take things in a new direction. But the new episodes flat out said that everything involving aliens in all nine seasons of the original show was a hoax. The thing is, the show objectively showed us footage of aliens in that time beyond Mulder's subjective perspective. The first movie showed the black oil attacking cavemen. So they just can't say that that stuff was a hoax, because the objective reality within the show has portrayed those things as true events. If we only ever saw aliens from Mulder's POV, an argument could be made that he was duped, but the show firmly came down on the side of aliens existing.

I just don't understand what the thinking was behind that plotting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think what's bad is the new mythology he came up with. By all means, take things in a new direction. But the new episodes flat out said that everything involving aliens in all nine seasons of the original show was a hoax.
I don't remember the specifics and I know they basically said that the previously established mythology was a lie but did anything prove that it was lie? I just assumed that it would eventually be revealed that that 'revelation' was a lie (like when Mulder was fed misinformation about aliens being fake in S5).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
did anything prove that it was lie?

Good point, I don't think it definitely did, so they could definitely do an about-face on that.

I don't think they ever satisfactorily explained how the Smoking Man is alive... probably because there is no satisfactory explanation possible for that one.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Bah. I'm a huge fan of the X-Files, but with the exception of the brilliant Were-Monster episode, the last set of episodes was complete trash.

I think they should just let it die with some sense of glory, instead of just running it in to the dirt. I don't have high hopes.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm still jazzed about this. It's a remarkable event that these characters will carry on again on our screens 30 years later. When has that ever happened on television before? Characters that live again and age in front of us like real people (and the actors), and what that will bring to their evolution. And we get Twin Peaks again next month.

Now if Carter will kindly hand over writing duties to some fresh or equally jazzed writers who get to play with these characters, we'll all be winners. But at least one Darin Morgan and Vince Gilligan, please. And no freakin' cliffhangers at the end of 10. As if that really is the reason any of us stuck around or would tune in. It's the characters, folks. And the chemistry.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good point, I don't think it definitely did, so they could definitely do an about-face on that.
Maybe I'm living in denial. Even if it's never brought up again, I'm sticking to it being a lie because that makes much more sense than all the events shown throughout the series not being real.

I don't think they ever satisfactorily explained how the Smoking Man is alive... probably because there is no satisfactory explanation possible for that one.
The CSM's survival is insane but somehow it's so insane that I forgive it. I'm sure I said it earlier in the thread but since the CSM is so identified with The X-Files, I understand why they did it. However, the show exists in a world where there's clones so they probably should have gone that route and said that they cloned the CSM as he was dying of cancer at the end of the series.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I was disappointed Agent T-1000 wasn't appearing in season 10, until I saw the way Carter utterly ruined Reyes in the stupidest, flimsiest way possible in the season finale.

I was then glad Robert Patrick didn't appear, and lost most of my interest in more X-Files going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks