What's new

The X Files is coming back! (1 Viewer)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I don't care much for contagion episodes but that part was watchable, I did like how they figured out the cure. The big problem was I saw how much time was left in the episode when they found said cure and I knew it were going to end with a cliffhanger. I rolled my eyes and groaned when they did. Reyes was out of character and pretty much a waste, except to pass vital information off to Scully.

I'll watch more new episodes because I love the characters. The best episode was the Were-lizard and 4th and 5th ones were good. The others were weak. The show needs to go back be more consistent and make scary, creepy episodes and give a better resolution to the mythology ones.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The continued survival of the Smoking Man is way beyond any reasonable suspension of disbelief at this point.
I agree. His presence really irritated me though I don't fault the actor. He got the end he deserved in the series finale back in 2002. To resurrect him is just wrong. (But obviously, he'll be back when the show comes back.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The continued survival of the Smoking Man is way beyond any reasonable suspension of disbelief at this point.
I basically agree but at the same time, I'm glad they brought him back since he is the iconic villain of the series. A few years ago, they did a The X-Files: Season 10 comic book series (which, due to the new episodes, is now out of continuity) and brought back many of the dead characters by way of cloning. Since cloning is an established practice on the show, I found that a much better way to resurrect the CSM than having him survive his very clear and obvious death at the end of the series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My goodness, the writing in this episode was incredibly bad. Incomprehensible jargon, implausible dialogue from characters we've known for 23 years, and lots of "We're in danger!" proclamations without any real sense of why or how.

That now-infamous ending also changes the show. You can't continue to pretend the world is skeptical about alien life now that an alien ship has hovered above hundreds of cars like that with many more hundreds of cell phones taking pictures and video for all the world to see.

The actors did their best with what they were given, but that wasn't much. If the show comes back (and I hope it does - it sure sounds like it will), they desperately need new writers to make sense of the mythology.

It pains me to say so but this episode was the X-Files at its worst.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Definitely a more typical X-Files season finale than series finale with the ridiculous cliff-hanger. And slogging through all that mumbo jumbo for a half hour was excruciating. There were doctor co-writers credited with Chris Carter, and I think he paid WAY too much deference to trying to appease their sense of science to make it all sound plausible. It's a sci-fi series for pete's sakes! You don't need to go to those lengths to make us buy the premise. Just deliver a provocative one and get on with the STORY. Ugh.

A total waste of Duchovny for this, as well. He's basically on the bench for the finale.

Does anyone else get the feeling this was Carter's third feature script he tried to pigeon-hole into basically the two-parter first and last episodes of this season? The worldwide scale of the plague suggests that to me. But scriptwriting 101 says that you always get a more intense, personal and effective story keeping the arena tighter and affecting just a few characters you actually care about. No need to swing for the fences as they did here, which just doesn't come off without a ridiculous-sized World War Z type budget.

So disappointed in this. Just thankful I can go back to watching the original run (currently in Season 2) to get the bad taste of this finale out of my senses.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I tended to believe they were going to go the cloning route to explain CSM's presence. But, sadly, no. Just another example of the poor writing. And even the acting seemed phoned in compared to the original series. While I got a certain nostalgic kick out of seeing the show after all these years, it was poorly done overall and disappointing to me. Even the best ep, "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster," was a pale imitation of the best of the original series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Also most of those cliffhangers (Anasazi and The End being exceptions) were just as awful as this one.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
The only thing I didn't like about the finale was Mulder doing an MMA fight with the bad guy. Mulder never did MMA fighting even when he was in his 30's. He's 50-something now and they have him putting MMA moves on a villain.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
The only thing I didn't like about the finale was Mulder doing an MMA fight with the bad guy. Mulder never did MMA fighting even when he was in his 30's. He's 50-something now and they have him putting MMA moves on a villain.
Well, that kind of fighting seems to be obligatory on TV nowadays.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Its seems plausible to me that he'd pick up some moves in the years he's been away.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Like the first episode this had massive problems, but then I kind of expected it given they were tied together. I expected CSM would be a shapeshifter or something like that and we would end up with a cameo from Brian Thompson or even others from the past. Definitely think they should have left the character dead, not matter how much they wanted him back

It was certainly less clunky than the first episode, even though there was a ton of exposition, but had there been a further episode to conclude it that would presumably have been mapped out, I probably would have given it 3 out of 5. As such I would have to rate this a 2 out of 5.

And they will still explain that alien ship as an experimental aircraft no matter how many people were there :)

To me the whole series has been stronger when they have focused on the individual episodes and whenever the mythology came up it just didnt work as well - kind of how the whole show developed in the latter half of the original series. 1 fantastic eps, 2 pretty good, 1 ok and 2 not too good.

Ep 1 : 2 out of 5
Ep 2 : 2 1/2 out of 5
Ep 3 : 4 out of 5
Ep 4 : 3 out of 5
Ep 5 : 3 out of 5
Ep 6 : 2 out of 5

Carter should stop writing and let others do that :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As I mentioned earlier, the show desperately needs new writers to make sense of the mythology.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the problem with the mythology this time around (and I say that as someone who loved the mythology episodes of the original series and didn't much care for the monster of the weeks) is that it tried to undo nine seasons plus two movies of story. Too many things happened in the original series that were shown to the audience from a neutral perspective (rather than Mulder's POV) that make it a definitive conclusion that in the world of the X-Files, aliens are here and they've been here in some form or another since before we even evolved into mankind.

So for the new mythology to basically say "all the alien stuff is bogus, there was no conspiracy, and it's all been mankind creating the illusion of aliens" goes too far in my book. If we hadn't seen those things it would be one thing, but we have seen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks