The X-Files: 9th Season a 7-disc set

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Adam T, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Adam T

Adam T Agent

Fox released the cover art for The X-Files 9th and final season. Which was rumored to be coming out in November but looks like it will in fact (I hope) be released in May.

But look at this picture....

[​IMG]

I think I may be seeing things but this box set has 7-discs, not 6. How many extras do you think they have that they needed 2-discs? Maybe one for the season and one for the series. Im just hoping for bloopers to be on any of them.

2. Matt`L

Matt`L Stunt Coordinator

Yep, doesn't look like there are any episodes on the last two discs. Just 'bonus features'. I think they may be trying to reel in people who liked the earlier seasons but not the later ones. That's assuming that some of the features will relate to the earlier seasons as well.

I've never really watched seasons eight and nine, but I *might* give them another chance through the dvds..

3. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

I noticed this too....and all I can say is AWESOME! 2 Bonus discs!! Looks like Fox is ending this collection in style.

(Please let the wrap party blooper reels be included....some of the funniest bloopers I've ever seen)

4. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Aagghhh! I swore I'd never buy either the 8th season or 9th season of this show. Now, I'm becoming tempted to buy the 8th season used because I disliked having my collection end on a cliffhanger like the 7th seasons. And now I'm faced with the possibility that the special features in the 9th season (which I considered to be an abomination in terms of that show's quality) could end up forcing me to buy it. So I have seriously mixed feeling: whether to refuse to buy the final season of one of my favorite shows as a result of the total lack of quality, or buy the set for the sole purpose of seeing bonus features that cover the entire 9 years of the show.

If only we could get a press release.

5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I'm sure a press-release isn't too far behind. And Fox probably realizes that the 9th season wasn't very popular (I loved it, being the X-Files fanatic that I am), and they're filling up two full discs of extras. The bloopers for all nine seasons should definitely be included, to pursuade those who wouldn't have bought the 9th season otherwise to purchase it. I'd include them, if I were Fox. I don't see much of any other extras they could include that would require an extra disc, since all past extras have fit on a single disc with either an episode or two, or space to spare.

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Just out of curiosity, have they ever dropped the price on these sets? I know that they were the first ones out there, but $100+ (CDN) per set is a little steep. For $50 or less (which is getting to be more and more common for non-HBO stuff) then I might actually start buying these...

7. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

The one possible special feature that could explain this second disc is a full documentary on the history of The X-Files. If they somehow got the cast and crew to participate, we could perhaps see a doc that covered not only the making of the show and history of the show, but maybe also an full and detailed explanation of the show's mythology. I, for one, would be really interested in seeing a doc that covered the evolution of the mythology from the pilot to the finale.

8. Adam T

Adam T Agent

Here are some of the details and specs from Tvshowsondvd.com

The X-Files: Season 9 Specs and Extras

Tons of extras on this release. Fox is really going all out but not with everything. The two FOX specials are here but I see no Bloopers on here. I think I speak for everyone when I say "what the he--!!".

The "Making of 'The Truth'" documentary looks really good to be 90 minutes. Im hoping that it's like the documentary from 24's second season release. Where they show the production of an episode from beginning to end.

9. Matt`L

Matt`L Stunt Coordinator

I'm just wondering about 'The Making of the Truth'. If it's a retrospective on all the shows seasons, it could be very interesting. But the name makes me think that it's about the making of the 'Truth about season x' documentaries. But I guess the running time doesn're really support this belief.

I hope the bloopers are on there, possibly as extra features. Also, I looked at the imdb and the only 'documentary' we're now missing is 'Inside the X-Files'. Anyone know if this is available anywhere?

Fox definitely seem to realise that they need to go all-out to get respectable sales for this season. Many will be happy to hear that the RRP has dropped by $50USD!. Not too shabby [​IMG]. Although, by comparison, Fox Australia recently reduced the price a few months ago to the equivelant of $50USD per season. Finally caused me to pick up season six [​IMG].

10. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Agent

Since the title of the 2-hour series finale was "The Truth", I'm guessing that "The Making of The Truth" would be a behind-the-scenes look at this one episode alone.

I'm glad to see that they're including "Secrets of The X-Files" and "More Secrets of The X-Files". I was quite disappointed to discover that these weren't on the season two and three sets, respectively.

11. Matt`L

Matt`L Stunt Coordinator

Ahh.. thanks for the clarification. I didn't really follow the last two seasons so the episode names haven't stuck with me. I guess that would be interesting, but it would have been cool to geta retrospective. But I guess, ultimately, that's what 'The Truth About Season...' were doing anyway.

So the extras end up sounding pretty thorough. About a full disc's work of content which talks about the show in general/the early years, and another for season nine specific features.

Let's just hope the bloopers are tucked in somewhere. That would really make the season sets utterly complete, imo.

But then again, they're really only intended for the cast and crew, so it's probably unlikely they'll be there.

I wonder what the tribute will be like? I never thought I'd say it, but I'm probably going to watch the last two seasons in their entirety. I kind-of want to know what happened...

12. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Agent

If I'm not mistaken, 'Inside the X-Files' was the infomercial for the movie that Fox ran towards the end of the 5th season. It's included on the Season Five DVD.

13. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Jim's right, it's on the Season Five set. There were a few bloopers on "Inside the X-Files" but I'd really love to see more on the S9 set.

14. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I just can't understand why none of the season sets included bloopers. I can kind of see what some of the people involved might be embarrased by some of the bloopers in the reels that have been leaked on the internet. But why there was never a seperate compilation of bloopers is something I can't figure out. I mean, there's probably about 60-90 minutes of bloopers from the reels alone, so why not at least produce 20 minutes of the best bloopers? It's the one thing that could have pushed me to be the 9th season.

15. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I have said bloopers, but in crappy RealPlayer format. Anyone have or know where to download better quality ones?

16. Adam T

Adam T Agent

I would assume that Chris Carter had a big hand in producing these sets. So it was probably his decision not to put them in. I can probably see that putting in bloopers could take something out of the set in terms of the show itself. But who knows. Maybe there will be an easter egg with the bloopers.

17. Jari

Jari Stunt Coordinator

I think the real reason for the missing bloopers is that they would have to pay royalties to actors and some background music would have to be licensed also. That's probably why B5 sets' bloopers are edited and shorter versions than those you can find from the internet.

18. PaulP

PaulP Producer

According to DavisDVD, the other eight sets will be repriced on 5/11 to coincide with the ninth set.

19. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Man, what a price drop! I only have Season 9 to get now, if I only would have waited.

20. Seth G

Seth G Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know why Season 9 is priced so cheap relative to the other seasons? Amazon has season 9 listed at ~$70 right now while any other season is $100+. Is Fox's intention to lower all the seasons to the $70 price range on 5/11? If so, I gotta agree with Zen, I got totally burned spending the $100+ for the other seasons.