1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The WWE™

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Mike Miskulin, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thi
    It's over on the west coast now.

Wow. That was really special. It might be the classiest thing WWF/WWE has ever done. Moments like that make me proud to be a wrestling fan. 15 years ago, you wouldn't have seen a farewell like that in wrestling. The past 3 nights could'nt have been a better farewell for Flair, except that it wasn't in NC. Really, they couldn't have devoted more time and praise to him as they did at the HOF, WM, and Raw. Sometimes you want moments like that to keep going but they end too soon, the amount of time for Flair was just perfect.

I'm surprised the McMahons didn't come out.

The 4 Horsemen wasn't that special to me because we've seen them in parts here and there. It's not like we haven't seen those guys on TV for years and they reunited.

~T

2. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

As a long time Flair fan, I have to say:
    Best.Raw.Ever.
    The only thing that could have made that any better would have been Steve Borden showing up, with or without the "Sting" name.
    The McMahons not coming out and showing respect was kinda surprising, or were they in that crowd from the back and just keeping a low profile to keep the focus where it needed to be?

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thi
    I read Stephanie, Vince and Undertaker came out after the show went off air. Vince raised Flair's arm at each ringpost. I guess they wanted to save it for the DVD.

~T

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

This would not surprise me if true.
    To sell even more copies of this DVD, you must have some exclusives.
    I read somewhere that a new Flair DVD is coming out on July 8.
    Could this be true ?

5. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Saving it for the DVD isn't really why Vince, Stephanie and Undertaker came out after the cameras went off the air.
    Yes, it could and probably will end up on a DVD at some point, the reason they came out after cameras went off the air was to not break character.
    Undertaker is seriously protective of his gimmick which is one reason the guy doesn't do mainstream interviews...ever. Taker also never attends the hall-of-fame ceremony for the same reason.
    Vince sort of feels the same way and that it wouldn't due for Mr. McMahon to pay respect on camera.
    So whether you think it unnecessary or silly, the reason they didn't come out had more to do with protecting character than anything else.

6. Casey Trowbridg

Former WCW wrestler Harrison Norris, who wrestled under the name Hardbody Harrison was sentenced to live in prison for forced labor and sex trafficking
    Norris wasn't really a wrestler of note, though there is one thing he did that I'll always remember. When WCW used to do the Spring Break Nitro and they had the ring surrounded by a pool, Hardbody became the first wrestler I can remember getting tossed in the pool and it was done by Kevin Sullivan.
    I miss those old Spring Break Nitros.

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I suppose that is one way of looking at this.
    Never thought about that actually.

8. Casey Trowbridg

9. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Finally watched this yesterday. Being as I am a HUGE NWA and GCW mark from way back when, I actually teared up a bit. While everyone was watching Hogan and the WWF in the 80's, I spent my Saturdays watching Gordon Solie on Georgia Championship Wrestling and idolizing Flair and the Horsemen.
    Flair will definitely go down as the greatest that ever laced up a pair of boots. Good to see everyone pay him the respect he so richly deserved.

10. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I missed most of 'mania (basically just saw the Taker vs. Edge match) and totally missed Raw the following night. I did catch the "Raw Rewind" that they showed on Smackdown and it looked like a very emotional Raw. I wish I could watch the whole thing just to see Flair's farewell ceremony.
    BTW, one thing that really really surprised the hell out me...Orton was in the main event at Wrestlemania with HHH and John Cena...and he managed to keep the title! I guess the WWE is not that predictable after all.

11. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thi
    I've seen Vince McMahon out of character many times. When Benoit died, he totally ignored everything that had gone before like with his death angle.
    As for Undertaker, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, I do recall him giving interviews while out of character. I must have seen somewhere where he mentions that Bret Hart was one of his best opponents. Also, it's kinda lame since he had that biker gimmick for a few years.
    Andres, I can't believe you missed Flair's farewell ceremony. You can watch it here, including what happened off air:
    YouTube - Ric Flair Farewell Address - 1/2
    YouTube - Ric Flair Farewell Address - 2/2
    YouTube - RAW 3/31/08 Ric Flair Farewell Off the Air
    ~T

12. Andres Munoz

Yeah, I know. I've been having too many problems with my DVR lately. Thanks for the links Thi.

13. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Purely speculation/theory on my part, but my guess is that some of the reasons that may have been a factor as to why the title was kept on Orton are:
    1) Stephanie is pregnant again, from what I hear--I believe she's at least four months along, if not more;
    2) Cena is in the middle of filming for his next movie.

14. Casey Trowbridg

WWE has another drug scandal on its hands.
    A Georgia home owner discovered some steroids and bottles marked HGH and more in his addic. The house was owned by a current WWE performer and among the bottles labled HGH and such was a copy of the companies dress code policy and his WWE contract.
    so if this guy loses on ECW tomorrow to Stevie Richards in 30 seconds now you'll know why.

15. Andres Munoz

So now JBL is in the main event mix along with Orton, HHH and Cena? Things get more interesting. I wonder where they're going with this.

16. Casey Trowbridg

I wouldn't call JBL being wedged in to the main event with Orton, Cena and HHH interesting but that's just my opinion. In fact with Mania over, nothing on WWE TV is captivating my interest.
    I'm still not sure how I feel about the Michaels-Batista thing. The segments have been good but...also kind of weird.

17. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

This isn't exactly WWE, but has anyone caught the "AWA Wrestling" on ESPN Classic? The few that I've watched have been from '86. It's kind of strange seeing a pre-Vader Leon White wrestling as "The Baby Bull" Leon White. You can also catch Sgt Slaughter coming out to his G.I Joe theme.

18. Andres Munoz

19. Casey Trowbridg

I need to catch the AWA stuff, I feel behind the times somehow for not DVRing this wrestling show from 20 years ago and 3 years before I became a fan.
    I don't know how long this will last, I've heard different things speculated but for tonight at least and maybe longer Joey Styles will not be announcing ECW
    This might matter more if there were still people that actually watch ECW.

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

oh my god.
    Just watched the highlights of the match between Barack Obama vs Bill & Hillary Clinton. on RAW
    Best stuff I've seen in years