What's new

The "Wow, those 80s guys really were musicians!" thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I say, that you guys don't remember Hear'N Aid!!!

I never said that Dokken didn't have the hair of a hair band. . .

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Some things are best left un-remembered. ;)

I was a pretty big metal head in the 80's (Twisted Sister was my fave, and despite not listening to them since "Stay Hungry" came out, I still catch myself singing their songs), and I remember not being too impressed with Hearing Aid. Out of Live aid, USA For Africa, Northern lights, etc, the only song I thought was decent was the "Sun City" one by Little Steven. That song was catchy as hell.

And for metal, THOR ruled the day! No one else would rock ut on the satge, tear a phone book in half and than blow up a hot water bottle until it popped. THAT'S Metal!

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw Erasure last night, and even though I've never looked at them as an 80's band (even though the rest of the world seems to think so), They had some hits in the US back then, so they sorta belong in this thread.

They just did an acoustic tour to promote their new album "Union Street", and let me tell ya, it was truly fantastic. They've been around for over 20 years now, and they just keep getting better. I was amazed how some of their hits translated so well to an acoustic performance. It just goes to show that they are excellent songwriters in their own right.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
yea I agree. Erasure actually has gotten better and better long after the status quo dismissed them as an 80's act (and even worse, a "f*g band" because some people cannot handle the fact that Andy Bell is gay). I don't really have much interest in Union Square, but I loved the Nightbird album from last year, and I also really enjoyed Andy's solo album Electric Blue.

Speaking of Erasure contemporaries, Pet Shop Boys are also coming back with a new album, which is heralded to be their best since 1993's Very.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Aztec Camera's Roddy Frame is stille making great music. His Surf album was a great acoustic effort a couple of years ago. His new album Western Skies is purr-dy durn good, IMO.

Brent T

Second Unit
I got back into Colin May again after I picked up the Scrubs Soundtrack. His current albums are great and deserve a listening to.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I have Union Street on right now and have almost everything since Innocents. Their later material blows away what they were doing in the 80's.

Didn't know they were touring already. I've never seen them live and would love to.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Look to the Western Skies, then Phil and walk out to winter and get oblivious till the bugle sounds again. Western Skies is mostly a three piece affair with a few extra instuments here and there. It's an analog tape recording. He's part of a mini movement of folks opting for annie log. For Roddy it has made for superb sonics. I have the CD. It's now being released on vinyl in Europe. The acoustic tour de force, Surf, is about as good a me and my acoustic get-tar album as I've ever heard. Unlike many musicans we've all watched fade away. He's not getting older, he's getting better. His strong songwriting goes on and on.

On Western Skies is a tribute to Bowie. It had blown past me but a buddy on another forum pointed it out to me. All I had noticed on the song was the album's best electric guitar solo.

Me think-ey U need album numero seis by Roddy...and if you missed Surf -ing without aliens to the beach'es edge.... that 'un 2. Roddy, Roddy! Please, never, don't stop!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have "High Land, Hard Rain", "Knife" (the record that got me into the band in the first place), "Love", "Stray", "Dreamland", and "Frestonia", and I like them all! Maybe I need to pick up some newer stuff, eh Rachael?

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator

This was the 4th time I've seen them live. They did a pretty short tour this time around, as Union Street was kindof a one-off thing. They toured for Nightbird last year, and it was also fantastic. They are simply amazing on stage. I totally expected this latest concert for Union Street to be sorta ho-hum, and was totally blown away!

They have said that their next album will be as electronic sounding as possible. I can't wait for that one. :D

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I was just talking with the gf the other nite about this. We are 36 and 38 so MAJOR 80's going on. I mentioned that the 80's was a time when bands tried to really have a new sound. the 90's bands as good as some were just sounded like Led Zeppelin or other 70's bands. Nowadays I have no clue. The metal/rap fusion thing is ridiculous. Hip hop is way too big IMHO and boring now. Gwen Stefani sold out. When you listen to 80's bands like The Cure, Depeche, Flock, early U2, Big Country, The Police, INXS, Oingo Boingo, New Order, Ultravox, Modern English, Split Enz, Duran Duran, Ultravox (the list goes on forever) they really went for their own sound. And there WERE some very good musicians in there. Nowadays, there are "artists" with pre-packaged hipster looking players who all play and sound the same or bands who are completely uninspired creatively and wear their Hot Topic Punk pop influences on their sleeve and play like crap and "it's cool" because supposedly it's more "legit" that way. Every now and then we hear one of these newer acts on SNL and are shocked at how mediocre they are.

grrrrrr.........

btw, I played CBGB's back in the 80's, sing, play drums and guitar myself so I know a bit about musicianship.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I haven't noticed any comments about Dire Straits. Important because of very early use of digital recording and they made fun of 80's rock/MTV. I also like some of their music.

Chris

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if this is meant to be ironic or funny, but it certainly is both (Note: This is coming from someone who has been to CBGB about a dozen times, mostly in the 80's). :D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I just put DIre Straits, Love Over Gold and Making Movies on my iPod. I'd forgotten how good Knopfler was, amazing picking style. Making Movies is definitely a top 10 in my rotation now.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I had grown tired of "Brothers in Arms" but bought the 5.1 DVD-A and just love it. I know the vocals are not great but I find his singing easy to listen to. I agree he is an accomplished guitar player.

Chris

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Totally agree with Dave (I was going to make the exact same wisecrack about repeating Ultravox!) about mainstream acts, but I think there are plenty of bands outside the mainstream these days who are unique and original. Thank god we have the Internet to help us discover them!

I think part of it (the new '80s sounds) was the invention and proliferation of digital synthesizers, which let bands come up with lots of different sounds. Then keyboards became uncool somehow, and nowadays they seem to mostly be used for sampling and imitating other instruments instead of functioning as instruments in their own right. (Except by underground prog-rock bands.)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I actually was not being funny. I also plaed China Club, The Bank, Under Acme, Space at Chase, Symphony Space and had gigs in Tokyo.
I consider myself quite a good musician actually and have the demos to prove it.

d

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Dave, I knew you weren't and I'm sure you are a fine musician. It is just ironic that someone giving an example of "musicianship" lists the place that is historically linked with the Punk movement; which glorified lack of chops above all else. No insult intended, just my dry wit coming through. Sort of like me giving an example of my driving skill by listing the demolition derbies I've entered over the years (skills which actually came in handy during Boston's 'Big Dig' years;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks