What's new

The "Wow, those 80s guys really were musicians!" thread (1 Viewer)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
you all can say what you want..... hair metal..metal...etc I love it all.

Hair Bands(as someone already said)= more har and make-up than talent. warrant, poisons...etc etc. and I still like those bands!!!

if you want to go that route and bunch alot of the bands you are together, then GNR when they first came out was a hair band..come one guy! lol

Dokken a hair band ? I dont think so!!!! Tooth and Nail will put that to rest. listen to "Without Warning" play right into "Tooth And Nail" tracks and that puts all that to rest. hair band...please!!!!

I tell you this.....

nirvana and pearl jam have collected alot of dust and all that 80's music still gets played on a weekly basis. hair was the time in the 80's, the 90's were bland and depressing. not many people I know pull out those grunge albums today. they just dont have a place in taste and the mood of music your into at a given time today. 80's pop and metal always has a place. it was fun!!!!! grunge was not fun. it was cool at the time but never fun.

the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's were the best music. the 90's so so and ok for the time. todays music ? what music ? rap, atleast in the 80's you could move to or even dance to. rap today is a joke and I dont see the talent. in the 80's the two could exist together. instead, today, rock has been buried. someday I do believe it will hit the tops again.

there is alot of forgetable music from the 90's and 00's and most isnt even played after its time. all the 80's music still hits the airwaves. its funny cause ragging on the 80's was out years ago but people still wanted to do it. although kids were wearing the band shirts and rock stars promoting how great those bands were people still made fun of it. but you know they own it!

artists do not sell today like they did in the 80's. heres a tidbit.....

al the top 10 artists today I cant name one. but they hold the tops spots. but who , every single year..... are the tops grossing concerts ? 80's bands!!!!! its a fact! check billboard. not one of todays artists in the top 10 of yearly grossing concerts. also..... stats show rock cd's still outsell rap cd's by a huge margin. rock still rules sales. go figure!!!! I think rock holds 63% of sales. it might shock you but its true.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ralph, I think you're taking your personal experience and extrapolating it to the general populace/state of music. I can think of many people I know who are exactly opposite of your experience (playing 90s music now, and hardly 80s at all except for a fun party experience where most people get nostalgic about it but aren't really taking it seriously).

And in L.A., every genre gets airtime, it's just a matter of what station you're listening to. Maybe you hear 80s and very little 90s and 00s because you're listening to an 80s station? I have a hard time that normal contemporary radio stations would play 80s over what's "hot" today (and believe me, I don't like today's "hot" music at all).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't like Nirvana and I'm indifferent towards Pearl Jam but I find that hard to believe.

I think the reality of the situation is closer to something Chris Rock said. I'm paraphrasing but he said when you first started getting laid, you think the music from that time is the best music ever made.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
actually there are no "set" 80's stations anymore, not here in boston anyway. they are the new stations that play everything....but still 80's and todays music is played way more than 90's.

just partys ? maybe... ask the kids today. I know my kids and my nephew and niece and their friends all listen to 80's, 70's even. they love Queen, Ac/Dc, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Crue...etc they love it. has nothing to do with my personal experience, the numbers speak for themselves. explain why kids are making 80's bands today the top grossing concerts every year ? lol

try again....

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
who said anything about bands who started in the 80's. I am talking 80's bands, bands who were big in the 80's.

1. The Rolling Stones $162.0 / $133.98

2. U2 $138.9 / $96.92

3. Celine Dion $81.3 / $136.04

4. Paul McCartney $77.3 / $135.46

5. Eagles $76.8 / $104.17

6. Elton John $65.8 / $102.46

7. Kenny Chesney $61.8 / $54.63

8. Dave Matthews Band $57.0 / $47.09

9. Neil Diamond $47.3 / $63.02

10. Jimmy Buffett $41.0 / $76.49

11. Mötley Crüe $39.9 / $46.48

12. Green Day $34.8 / $38.07

13. Toby Keith $31.6 / $46.11

14. Rascal Flatts $28.2 / $34.92

15. Bruce Springsteen $26.3 / $81.00

16. Gwen Stefani $24.2 / $54.46

17. Coldplay $24.1 / $40.80

18. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers $23.6 / $38.05

19. Barry Manilow $22.7 / $153.93

20. "Anger Management Tour" $21.6 / $64.03

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There're plenty of awesome bands from the '90s and '00s -- if you can find 'em!

Spock's Beard?

Dream Theater?

Pain of Salvation?

The Flower Kings?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Ralph but you've just changed the discussion to suit your statement. This thread was originally talking about 80s bands: meaning those that are associated as being in the 80s genres, not just "big in the 80s" because by your logic, if they're big now, they're not 80s bands, they're 00 bands!

From your "top list" only Crue would qualify as an 80s band, and their touring success is probably more attributable to their "reunion" with Vince and Tommy's ability to put his big drumstick in seemingly every hot celeb blonde he wants to, and not a product of Crue music being so fantastic that today's kids just can't get enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks