What's new

The worst insult I've ever gotton! (1 Viewer)

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
That sounds like a buddy of mine who's all psyched about his new DTS progressive scan DVD player. Except he refuses to listen to me when I explain that he's not actually listening to DTS through the L/R analong RCA connections, nor is he able to appreciate progressive scan video through the composite connection! arghh, he keeps talking about how he can 'outdo' me. It's getting hard to even smile and nod anymore.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell

NathanP

Supporting Actor
hehehheh...
A friend is always asking me about those "Subwoofers in plasic boxes"
He always tells me "I want one of those" " I want one of those, a girl I go to school with has one"
I tell him: "Steven, those are called powered subwoofers, they are very expensive for someone in your financial condition"
He replies: "Shutup man, I bet I can get one on ebay for 25 cents"
I reply: "Sure man,sure"
Ohh and there are the people who think they know everything about sound yet they have only read 10 pages of 1 sound book...
Always telling me " I know what a tweeter is, its something that plays the high sounds"
"Oh, I love my shelf system (2 speakers) It has Dolby Surround sound, it's like the movies"
hmm...
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Reminds me of the idiot cable salesmen that have been going door to door in my neighborhood trying to sell digital cable at $60 to $80 a month. (A year and a half ago my neighborhood was a giant field. Now there are a few hundred homes here with a total of 600 being put in. Everyone and their dog targets new neighborhoods! We get multiple people per day coming by trying to sell goods or services, dropping off fliers, trying to convert us to their religion, etc. Can't work in your yard on the weekend without being harassed.)
Anyway, so this cable guy comes by trying to get me to drop my "wireless cable connection" and switch to their digital cable.
Me: "What wireless cable connection?"
Him: (pointing to my broadband antenna, which looks NOTHING like a wireless cable antenna and has lettering on the front that gives it away as a wireless LAN connection) "That wireless cable connection."
Me: (chuckle) "Oh, that's right. I forgot I had that up there." (for the record, I don't subscribe to any cable or satellite services. Just local over-the-air channels and lots of DVDs.)
Anyway, he looks through my bay window (we're in the front yard trying to get some work done), notices my 65" widescreen, and proceeds to tell me how much better his digital cable will look on my TV. I tell him I'm waiting for a real HD signal and will probably buy a dish 6000 one of these days, but for now I only watch DVDs.
He then proceeds to rip into my DVD player! He tells me that digital cable looks many times better than a DVD and I should subscribe to his premium movie channels! I explained that I use a progressive scan DVD player and there was no way in hell digital cable looked that good, and besides, I only watch movies in their original aspect ratios. He says "It's 100% digital. Your DVD player is analog. There's no comparison." (no reply on aspect ratios. I don't think he knew what I was talking about.) I called BS and told him that digital cable is not digital to your TV and that he should know better. He insisted that it was. Already knowing the answer, I asked him how the digital cable receiver hooked up to the TV:
Him: "Three RCA connections. One for video and two for audio."
Me: "What about S-Video?"
Him: "Not yet, the new receivers might have that though."
Me: "Uh huh. So the signal is converted to analog before it goes into your TV."
Him: "No, it's digital!"
Nevermind the fact that "digital" and "analog" mean jack shit when it comes to quality, but I wasn't about to try to argue that point. I was stuck on his blatent misunderstanding of the system he was selling and his claims that HBO over digital cable would "blow (my) DVD player away." I sat him down and explained progressive scanning, OAR, and the fact that his receiver converts all signals back to analog before outputting them to the TV. I asked him how he thought digital cable worked on all TVs (big selling point for them) if the TV was 20 years old. He figured the receiver was smart enough to send different signals based on the TV it was plugged into. The guy had no clue what the hell he was doing.
He left half an hour later thanking me for the lesson, but I got the impression he didn't believe a word I said. I'm sure he went right to the next house and told them the same lies. I've since had 2 other people with the same level of cluelessness come by trying to sell me digital cable for my digital TV and wean me off my "wireless cable". Damnit. I need to get blinds on that bay window and disguise my broadband antenna.
EDIT: Forgot to add, when I told him I was waiting for a good HD feed, he tried to tell me that digital cable was high definition. When I called him on it he claimed to have misunderstood me. Yeah, right.
------------------
-Ryan ( http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

[Edited last by Ryan Wright on September 18, 2001 at 01:20 PM]

NathanP

Supporting Actor
heheh...
Salesman will do anything to make a sell..
Including anything to make a HUGE Sell..
Like once,a friend of mine who uses car subs in his HT, was at the local Radio Shack buying a cheap power amplifier for his car subs and when asking the worker for info on it the worker crudely replied-
"First, you should give your subwoofers away to someone with car and knows what he's doing and go buy a HT subwoofer"
And the worker pointed at Radio Shack's HT subs..
My friend simply walked out, without punching the guy out.
Anyone here every punched a salesperson out?
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com
[Edited last by NathanP on September 18, 2001 at 02:24 PM]

chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator
....almost did once
I was buying a TV a few years ago and was happy with the price(brought him down from $900 to $700) and the salesman was being somewhat human. Everything was going OK then the b.S. started.
First he said it was the floor model. I told him to take off another $75 he did, so no problem.
Second he told me they had no box or owner's manual. I told him I wanted free delivery and a copy of the manual from a similar model. He said no problem, so still going OK.
Third he wouldn't even throw in a S-video cable for free it was only worth $25.
And finally as he was processing my credit card, he said casually "Oh by the way there is no remote control for this item, we lost it." my response "um excuse me, no remote?" him "yeah it'S no big deal you can just buy a universal remote. I make you a deal on one though." Unfortunately the look of spite and rage on face did not clue him in. I said the only way I would buy the TV was if the store ordered me a replacement immediately and called me when it came in. He said that was not possible. I told him he just lost the sale he said that he had already put my card through so the sale was final and just gave this half grin/smile. I almost gave him a mouth full of bloody chicklets for that but for some reason(which still eludes me to this day) I chose not to punch Zippy the wonder putz. and instead went to the competitor and bought a similar TV for a lower price with absolutely no hassle, in fact I now work for that company, and had it delivered the next day.
------------------
MOVIES ARE A RELIGION.
SO PRAY TO THE DVD GODS.
[Edited last by chris_sharpe on September 18, 2001 at 10:27 PM]

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I almost got into a scrap with a pushy salesman here at a local audio/video store. When I was looking into buying a speaker set up I had Energy, Paradigm, B&W, Def Techs and Mirage in mind. The store I was at carried 2 of these and so me and the salesman started talking. All he was concerned about was my current amplifier and I told him many times to "not worry about it because I'll be getting rid of it for a decent 5.1 reciever". When I told him what it was all he did was tell me it wouldn't be any good. I told him again that in the future, I would be getting a 5.1 reciever. Dumbass wouldn't let it rest.
Soon we we argueing over nothing. He was throwing all this technical mumbo-jumbo at me that didn't even have anything to do with a speaker purchase. I didn't agree with EVERYTHING he was saying and it was obvious he didn't like that. I finally looked him in the eye and said " well, you just helped me eliminate 2 possible choices so I'll be going to the next store. And by the way, I'll be telling the manager he just lost a potential $5000.00 just in the speaker purchases and I don't think he'll be too happy about that".
I then left, went to a real HiFi Store and haven't looked back since :)
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

NathanP

Supporting Actor
woooahhh...
Unbelieveable..
I'm too cowardly to punch anyone out.. but I felt like it last night when I got dissed again over this hobby...
"Ohh, real theaters are much better"
"And when you get a home theater you have to buy Dolby
Surround Sound, It'll cost you thousands of dollars"
And I've got it 2 rooms down!
Student's have Dolby Digital, Ex, Pro-Logic and none of them
have thousands..
"Oh, in those theaters you can stretch out, you can't stretch out in a HT"
know-it-alls who know nothing
Hmm..
Any of you guys get dissed alot?
It should be:
"Blessed are the HT'ers for they shall recieve lots of good stuff in heaven."