What's new

The worst casting decision IN HISTORY! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Sunday night was a kick-ass night for movie watching for me. First it occured to me that, even though I had had the video for quite some time, I'd never seen Schindler's List - so I decided to set aside 3 hours. Wow! I have never seen a film SO powerful! After A.I. two weeks ago, (which was absolutely unbelievably awesome), and now this: Spielberg IS a genius. This is his best film ever! I wasn't planning to watch anything else, but the moment I stopped the tape to rewind it, the default TV station popped back onto the screen to show me the title The Ice Storm, which was just starting, and I had also never seen. And... DAMN, is that an interesting movie. Every performance was incredible - it was such a simple story, but allowed for so much complex emotion.Easily one of the most thought provoking movies I've seen (aside from the earlier film!).
After this one I had more than enough to think about, but I remembered that Alien: Resurrection was showing on Channel 4, and I'd ALSO never seen that one. So I missed the first 35 or so minutes, but from what I'd heard it was a pile of crap anyway. My recollection wasn't wrong! Boy that movie is lame! And one of the main problems is that Winona Ryder is SOOOOOOOO wrong for this movie. It took a long time to get to that didn't it!
Anyway, another thing that occured to me, is that Alien 3 was considered as inferior to the films that preceeded it, as Godfather Part 3. Now, in the light of Alien: Resurrection, Alien 3 is (to my knowledge) much more highly regarded (which I realise in part is due to the fact that Fincher is now an established film-maker and not a Hollywood rookie as he was then). So, if Coppola wanted to increase the standing of Part 3, all he has to do is make an even worse Part 4!
biggrin.gif
Interesting theory, no?
------------------
pdalmaine.jpg

"The Kid is HOT!" Vincent Gallo, Buffalo '66
"K-Mart Sucks Ray" Tom Cruise, Rain Man
“The London Underground is not a political movement!” Jaime Lee Curtis, A Fish Called Wanda
Join the fight against crap British Films. click here!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Michael Keaton as Batman
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Ok! I win! No one, absolutely no one can top this. Sofia Coppola in Godfather Part III.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Worst casting decision?
Kevin Costner - Robin Hood, Prince Of Thieves.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Keanau Reeves in...
...well...
...okay, everything except Bill and Ted.
wink.gif

------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, come on, he atoned for Johnny Mnemonic with The Matrix.
I don't disagree with the choices here...they are all examples of bad casting. I'd toss in Matthew McConaughey (sp?) for his role in Contact. He's a good actor, but he was terrible for the role of a religious icon.
And, although I haven't seen it, what about Lazenby as Bond? :)

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Michael Keaton as Batman
I thought Keaton was the best Batman. Kilmer was too cold and emotionaless for me and Clooney, who I like, just isn't Batman.
I always wondered about Wesley Snipes cast in Red Sun. It just didn't make any sense to me after reading the book.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Patrick Swayze in every film except, Dirty Dancing. That piece of crap sums him up quite well. :)
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Adam Sandler as Adam Sandler and a host of other SNL people who haven't been able to make the transition to the "big screen"

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Worst casting decision...how about the American voice cast for Princess Mononoke?
Why don't we do a thread on perfect casting? My vote would be whats-her-name from Sophie's Choice.

jane blinked

Auditioning
My eyes nearly popped out of my head in surprise to see that someone agrees with me about the American voice cast of Mononoke Hime being the *worst*. Ever.
On a side note, I think Clare Dane was miscast as a legitimate actress in a Hollywood role.
Somebody explain the appeal?!

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Actually, I heard Lazenby turned down Diamonds are Forever for whatever reason. That's when they brought Connery back. Lazenby wasn't the best Bond (Connery, with Dalton coming in second place) but he fit the role well enough to pull it off, I thought.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
We type cast many of the actors and have preconceived notions about who should play what. Comic Book characters, most notably, Batman. Keaton did an admirable job even though his previous roles were more comedic. He is arguably the best actor to play the role. Jake Lloyd's performance in TPM was an example of poor directing by Lucas. From what I understand, all of the actors were left to their own devises. They were never given the entire script and hardly had any idea of the context of the scene that they were acting out. Not only was Lloyd's performace terrible, but the rest of the A-List talent definitely lacked direction in terms of varied performance. The new "palette" directing method that Lucas employed allowed him to constantly make adjustments to the story but it sacrificed the quality of the performances. Other than HOFFMAN in "Hero", I think that most actors can, to large and small degrees, "step into their roles"

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I know many, if not most will disagree with my sentiments, and that's OK. They're based on my own preconceptions.
As I watched Glengarry Glen Ross, I kept saying to myself, "Shoulda' been Joe Mantegna...Shoulda' been Bob Prosky...Shoulda' been J.T. Walsh..."-IOW the original cast for the stage, which I never saw, but would have loved to have seen.
I tried to persuade myself to let it go and enjoy the film and its wonderful cast, but as good as it was, it just wasn't what I'd hoped it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks