What's new

The worlds most powerful Diesel Engine! (1 Viewer)

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Your truck? Skip that, with this engine, you can make this saying false (seen / heard among car racers):
You can live in your car, but you can't race your house.

sweet!

Andrej

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them.
Am I the only one who finds this scary? Twin engines/screws are extremely useful on a boat/ship for reliability and maneuverability reasons. I realize that something this big is going to have thrusters and won't exactly be a Porsche on the water, but its always nice to know that you've got a backup.

Hope they never take it to Alaska...its going to take a lot longer than 5 minutes using glow plugs to get that thing warmed up enough to start =) .

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how these engines are moved to and into the ship? I used to work for a company called American Hoist & Derrick, based in St. Paul, MN (now defunct or merged into other companies - I'm not certain which). The largest crane they ever built had a maximum 2,700 ton lift capacity and was ship mounted (built in Bay City, MI, I think); the largest land based crane they ever built had an 800 ton maximum lift capacity (a working model was made of this - I would have given nearly anything to have owned it at the time). Of course, these numbers are from over 20 years ago and are likely to have been exceeded.

Probably, the engine is taken apart and reassembled in the ship.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Alan, I bet they transport it to the place it goes, and then build the ship around it.

That being said, Hyundai has some tremendous shipbuilding capabilities; they or others may have the capabilities to lift this behemoth without too much trouble...

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Hyundai's strongest crane has a capacity of 1500 Tons, so even Hyundai would have to install this engine in at least two pieces. Interesting question, an engine is not something that you would be able to easily make modular. I'm sure there are engineers that are working on a crane that would be able to lift this in one piece.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Holy crap, that thing is so big it almost looks fake! Just amazing how much displacement and horsepower it has!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Talk about some Torque. Did you guys see how much fuel it consumes? I wonder what it cost to buy one and then maintain it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks