What's new

The Worlds Greatest Lover!!!! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this is a terrible way to open a new thread.

in the title you could have said i wish worlds greatest lover was on dvd.

the way it is now it looks like you are making an announcement, and your not.

you didnt say why you must have it on dvd.
at least tell us what you like about the movie.

i see that your a recent new member.
please in the future try to make the titles less ambiguous.

i saw this in the movies, my parents took me tosee it and i havent seenit since then.
i remember it being funny, was it?
this is a gene wilder movie right?

does he play casanova or something?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

a big yes to both of those.
i saw SHSB when i was just a kid and only once, but for some reason the film stuck with me.
i can't remember anything specific about it, just a an impressionistic rush of images, but i would love to have the chance to see it again in its OAR.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is Gene Wilder. It is hard to pick his best film, some have a fanatic love for Young Frankenstien, some for Blazing Saddles, but this movie has a lot of heart to it and also speaks to fans of Hollywood. Since TWGL takes place during the Silent Movie erra we get to see a comic insiders view of 1920's movie making. This film has all the hysterical screaming that Gene is known for and also his tender, honest moments. I can not even find this movie on VHS so I hope Fox would consider it and I am intriged by this Sherlock movie since I have never seen it.

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

"Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother" was Gene Wilder's directorial debut, if I recall correctly. He also wrote the film and starred in it along with Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman, Dom DeLuise, and Leo McKern.

Peter Scarfe

Auditioning
Would also love to see World's Greatest Lover on dvd. I guess all we can hope for is a bare bones release. Gene Wilder to the best of my knowledge hasn't had a lot of involvement with the dvds of his movies which is shame.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

THE WORLD'S GREATEST LOVER is a film that I've been championing ever since I saw it for the first time about 8 years ago (taped it uncut off cable). Pure, unadulterated Gene Wilder, this is his Citizen Kane, and it's gut-bustingly hilarious throughout, with plenty of heart and sentiment to go along. They just don't make 'em like this anymore. Carol Kane is perfect as the offbeat Wilder's likewise offbeat love interest, and Dom DeLuise is a riot as the nutball studio head. I think this film is far, FAR superior to the much-lauded BLAZING SADDLES, and I even prefer it to the classic YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. Even the theme song, written by Gene and sung by Harry Nilsson, is great. I simply cannot understand why this film isn't heralded as one of the best comedies of the last 35 years. Brilliant. And Vincent Canby liked it too:

Vincent Canby's 1977 review of THE WORLD'S GREATEST LOVER for The New York Times

THE ADVENTURE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES' SMARTER BROTHER I didn't find to be nearly as good, though it does have its wonderful moments.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Both of these films air semi-regularly on Fox Movie Channel, in both widescreen and pan-and-scam...I don't think they're restored, though.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Too bad FOX did not do these 2 titles on a DOUBLE FEATURE disc like they did with the PORKY'S and REVENGE OF THE NERDS movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks