What's new

Pre-Order The Woody Allen Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Except Sweet And Lowdown may not be part of this set.

The original mockup box had 'Sweet And Lockdown' on the cover. There were also varying accounts of the number of titles - 10, 8, 9. The art also showed 'instructing Harry', hinting that Deconstructing Harry was included

The current listings have new artwork (shown in the OP) with neither of those titles. And the information in the Retailer Listing is 8 films (with those two missing).

I might pick this up for a domestic copy of Everyone Says I Love You, but ideally I'd welcome a stand-alone to replace my import
Interesting well I would not buy this set in that case, certainly not for $80 for a bunch of Woody’s lesser works. Maybe at a bargain basement price but otherwise this is a hard pass.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Deconstructing Harry was Warner Bros., wasn't it? I have it on DVD and like it (despite the most profane language Woody had used in a film to that point).
Yes, New Line Cinema.

This set is every Woody Paramount owns (IE: the Miramax and all Dreamworks save for Match Point).

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I could be interested in this set at a good price, if the reviews are good, but guessing that could be a big IF under the circumstance...

_Man_

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Initially this was a must-buy for me and it still may be, but the variations of artwork and included films, after the preorder is announced is just messy. I am waiting for the reviews before purchasing as well.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I do need BULLETS and APHRODITY, and I’d like to see SWEET AND LOWDOWN. I hope it’s included. I hope they release these separately, too.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Knowing Woody there will be no supplements at all and the sound will be mono as all these films predate Cassandra's Dream.

Basically you're just here for transfer quality.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The bad news is that Sweet And Lowdown is no longer going to be included.

The good news is that it's only $46.40 at importcds.com. I've never ordered from them, so I don't know how reliable they are. I'll bite at that price just because there are three true gems in there (Everyone Says I Love You, Mighty Aphrodite, and Bullets Over Broadway).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

The good news is that it's only $46.40 at importcds.com. I've never ordered from them, so I don't know how reliable they are. I'll bite at that price just because there are three true gems in there (Everyone Says I Love You, Mighty Aphrodite, and Bullets Over Broadway).
I've used importcds a number of times over the years, most recently just a couple weeks ago. They're usually quite fast and I've never had any issues. I think they're a sister company of sorts to Deep Discount.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I've used importcds a number of times over the years, most recently just a couple weeks ago. They're usually quite fast and I've never had any issues. I think they're a sister company of sorts to Deep Discount.

Pretty sure I've ordered (indirectly) from them a few times before as well, but usually thru eBay and maybe Amazon marketplace... Don't recall if I ever ordered directly from them.

_Man_

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Well, that stinks. :(

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I bought a number of these films on bluray from Europe a few years ago - Hollywood Ending, Celebrity, Everyone Says I Love You, Bullets Over Broadway, Mighty Aphrodite. They were quite cheap.

I think the other films were available in other markets on bluray, with the exception of Sweet and Lowdown. Now that one has been dropped, I'm less inclined to purchase.

I suspect the set will just be the same transfers that have been released previously - but who knows?

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
I just got the set today, and it's nicely put together in a shiny box that looks up to the price. A small sampling of the discs tells me that the films are HD with good detail but a slightly softer look and perhaps a bit lighter than the DVDs. They're not dazzling, as one might expect from a blu-ray from Twilight Time or Criterion, but they do look better.

Some more information, following this thread:

> Sweet and Lowdown is not here, probably because, like Deconstructing Harry, it was not originally released by Miramax or DreamWorks. Sweet and Lowdown was from Sony and, as noted, Deconstructing Harry was from Warner. (If you want those DVDs, you'll have to go hunting. Be aware that Sony released Sweet and Lowdown twice, once on WS & 4x3 double-sided disc, and once at just 4x3.)

> Anything Else is reframed to 1.85:1. It's mostly cropped at the sides, but with a bit more headroom. That's also disappointing. According to IMDB, the movie was intended to be 2.35, and that's how the American DVD has it. Someone here mentioned a European BD set at 1.85, and I suspect that's what Arrow used as the West End Films logo that appears on some European BDs appears here, too.

> All of the films have English closed captioning available.

> I don't know anything about Arrow Distribution, but they replaced the Miramax or DreamWorks logo on each title with their own logo. The Sweetland logo appears as before, however. Logo replacement irks me, but just a little. There is no information about Arrow on the packaging, other than their logo, a copyright notice, and a stock number.

The disc holders are hard clear plastic, making the discs a little more difficult to remove than the softer material of standard Blu-ray cases.

I'll post updates if anything of interest pops up.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Initially this was a must-buy for me and it still may be, but the variations of artwork and included films, after the preorder is announced is just messy. I am waiting for the reviews before purchasing as well.
I'd wait until the smoke cleared so we can just what IS included in the boxset!!

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
I just got the set today....

My apologies; I forgot to list what's in the set, and for some reason I can't edit my post today, so here goes.

Bullets Over Broadway
Mighty Aphrodite
Everyone Says I Love You
Celebrity
Small Time Crooks
Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Hollywood Ending
Anything Else

That's 8 movies at $6.25 each, which is actually a pretty good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks