The Wonder Years DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Sadler, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Frank Sadler

Frank Sadler Agent

Hello,

Does anyone of you wonderful people, Know who owns the rights to The Wonder Years TV series on DVD ?

I know Laserlight or somebody released a DVD, But who definately owns the rights to release season by season boxsets on DVD ?

Maybe Ron or someone could help our dreams come true

Thank You.

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I don't know who owns the rights to the entire series, but I would absolutely love a box set. Especially considering that the reruns are just about never on TV nowadays. The Laserlight DVDs are really pretty awful, so I hope whoever has the rights would do them right (at least broadcast quality video and time-coding, for example). I think a hurdle might be clearing all the music used on the show for DVD release. It would be so great if they released season sets, though!

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was at the Licensing show in NYC last month. While, there I met Fred Savage. He was at the show promoting the kids cartoon show he does the voice for. Anyway, he was very nice and I asked him if he knew anything about the Wonder Years show on dvd. He said he had not heard anything. When I also mentioned how a lot of older shows are starting to come to dvd. He was surprised and said he might ask around. So who knows. I would assume the music rights for the show would be a big obstacle.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Actually, there are two LaserLight releases. To me, they are not nearly as bad as folks say they are.
    However, I too would love season-by-season box sets. I agree that music clearances will be the big problem, perhaps almost as much as WKRP. [​IMG]
    I definately haven't heard anything going on this, or I would have already spread the happy news right here!

5. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, the audio and video quality on the Laserlight discs is waht you'd expect from Laserlight, but the quality of the show easily outweighs that for me. These can be had so cheaply, I just couldn't pass them up. Couple that with the fact that the Christmas disc has my all-time favorite Wonder Years episode, and that makes it an easy purchase.

I'm telling you, I'm a grown man that never cries at movies, and that Christmas episode about the TV and Kevin trying to find a gift for Winnie always gets to me.

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

The only thing I have ever heard about season box sets of this show was from Dark Horizons, a long, long time ago. They posted a rumor about "August of 2002" I believe. Too bad ;(

7. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

That would be great to get on DVD! That and Homefront! Two great series from ABC in the late 80s-early 90s about two great eras in American history!

8. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

9. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

I think either Fox or Warner owns the show...so you'd have to talk to one of them about a DVD release of The Wonder Years.

10. ManuelIP

ManuelIP Extra

I have to disagree, David

while the video/audio quality of both Laserlight DVDs isn't that bad, they changed the music: it's not the version that was on TV - and for me the music is an important part of the show

so if anyone plans to release TWY, hopefully they will clear the music rights...

11. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

Well, for what it's worth, TV Land has rerun "The Wonder Years" quite consistently over the last few years either on the base channel or occasionally on Nick at Nite. ABC Family is actually rerunning them around noon ET in the US right now, and TNN (owned by Viacom like TV Land and Nick) reran it a while ago. I have no idea what that has to do with who holds the rights to the show, but that might give a point in the right direction for someone who knows how to research these types of things. [​IMG]
    And now for the point and laugh portion of our show: I was a huge fan of "The Wonder Years" growing up; I actually saw the first episode on the very first night it aired, so I go all the way back to the beginning with it. And it holds the distinction for being the only television show to ever bring me to tears. I'm of course referring to the final episode, particularly the end where Kevin tells about what happened to his friends and family. When he talks about his father dying
    I just lose it. Every time I see it, even in reruns, it still brings me to tears, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
    So, long story short, count me among those who would readily buy seasonal box sets of "The Wonder Years" on DVD.

12. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Season sets of The Wonder Years? Show me where to swipe my card.

13. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I've still got $$$ waiting to buy these sets...

14. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

15. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Michael,

I missed the finale. Can you tell me what happened to his friends and family?

Thanks!

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

One thing you have to remember, Wonder Years is a music rights NIGHTMARE. I'm not hopeful

17. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I'm pissed (but not surprised) that the Laserlight DVD loses the Randy Newman "Natural" music from the finale. The closing sequence plays less effectively without it.