What's new

THE WONDER YEARS (Consolidated Thread; No New Ones, Please!) (1 Viewer)

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Well, some songs just can't be licensed.

I don't think it could be profitable, it would be pretty funny though if the original music DVD cost in the regions of $100s you could tell that to the people who moan about music replacement.

I would like any possible original music, but I'd rather the episodes, I can't even remember half of it and I do not think 20 seconds of background noise is more important than 22 minutes of the show.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like those of us who recognized what a quality series it was and taped and archived the original broadcasts have a lot of transferring to do.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
With a "period" show like THE WONDER YEARS, and especially one in which the music was so intricately tied into the "mood" or "feel" of the show, it's a tough call.

Here's a list of some of the songs which were used in the show, all of which would have to be licensed, as well as references to how they were incorporated into the show:

http://mytwyyearbook.tripod.com/jukebox.html

Some are mere background, but there are many cases where the music is used as necessary "puctuation" for a scene.

I know some might disagree, but, for me at least, this particular show just wouldn't -- COULDN'T -- be the same without the original music.

Ditto WKRP.

Ditto Quantum Leap. Which is why I only own S1 of QL. I may end up buying a multi-region player just so I can have this series unbutchered, since the licensing issues only affected the R1 releases.

Ditto La Femme Nikita...which is why I don't flinch one bit at the high price on this one...it is WELL worth it, IMO.

Just my own priorities, of course.

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
Watching that without music is like watching Beavis & Butthead without the videos. Its just not even close to the same. I would not buy it if less than 90% of the original music were there.
Chad

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
How did the UK release of this handle the music?

I know some music in the show might be more essential than other music but if they must replace some incidental music in the background, they should still go with something proper from the period.

Music labels should be made aware that putting their music in these shows on DVD serves as advertisement for music that sometimes no longer get airtime on radio. Some of this music is out of mind, some people have forgotten it. If I hear something on boxsets of Wonder Years, China Beach, and WKRP that I have not heard in years, I might be inclined to purchase an album. If I have never heard a song before in my life and heard it on these shows I would probably be inclined to investigate them further. By not allowing classic songs to appear in classic television on DVD, those who own the rights are destroying the music's cultural significance and longevity of life. They are stabbing themselves in the foot by making this matter more complicated than it has to be.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
The UK release is a no go, its delayed and delayed.

The UK couldn't even be uncut, they had to replace some songs just to broadcast it here. The Pilot sounds completely different.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
That's good for two seasons, but the newly-released S4 has the same music replacement in R2.
Thanks for the heads up! I honestly hadn't been paying close attention, since I don't yet have a multi-region player. After the whole R1 music replacement issue, I just sorta put the show on a back burner, but I knew that S2 and S3 had been issued unbutchered in R2. I just assumed the rest would be...

I guess that puts this one off my radar for good...and it was one of my favorite shows. :frowning:

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
Music Studios are so stupid. Don't they realize that by including their songs in tv episodes and movies it puts a visual context with the song and promotes the music at the same time? I have bought a lot of cassettes, cds and mp3 downloads over the years based on hearing a song in a movie or tv show. The music studio should PAY to have their music featured in such prominence.

Josh_LaF

Agent
Real Name
Josh
I completely agree. Some of my favorite bands are bands I heard of through TV shows, mostly "Scrubs."

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, there's a fresh angle on this whole music-rights mess. I've never heard anyone bring it up before buts it's so true. I don't keep up with the music scene so most of the cds and songs I wind up buying are those I hear in movies or TV shows. And the association a particular song has with a show makes me like it even more. I bet this has never even crossed their greedy little minds.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I just saw on amazon.uk that wonder years is coming out on dvd tomorrow august 7th ? Ill believe it when i hear someone recieved it, anyway thats what it says on their site.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The Wonder Years is headed to the I Network (formerly PAX) later this year. Since I didn't tape the original run of the show and I doubt that the entire series will ever see the light of DVD, I'll be Tivo'ing these. I hate syndicated cuts but at least the show will be back on in some form.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I wanted to let fans know that those who don't always go over on the "Studio and Manufacturer Feedback" forum here, that I've left Fox Home Entertainment an open feedback thread on "The Wonder Years". I hope other fans will follow on over and reply to that thread. With "WKRP in Cincinnati" coming next year, and with music substitutions, I hope the same fate will not happen to "The Wonder Years". I do have one question though. Refresh my memory, but was there an article with a Fox rep who said that this series was being worked on, but it's taking longer because they have to "replace some of the music in this series" and "that it’s not an overnight process”? I could be wrong.

Here's the direct link to that thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...01#post3038301

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks