1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

THE WONDER YEARS (Consolidated Thread; No New Ones, Please!)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ManuelIP, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Although not 100% confirmed, I am slightly confident.

I guess we will have to wait for the early reviews before we can be sure, but its a nice little slice of hope to know something is being done.

2. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

According to Amazon UK 'The Wonder Years' DVD is set for March 2007?

3. Alan Lee UK

Alan Lee UK Stunt Coordinator

I've just looked at the list of upcoming UK releases, and listed for March 13th is "The Wonder Years - Season 1". The RRP is £39.99 (about $80) so I can't believe it's the actual 6-episode season 1. Whether it is seasons 1 & 2 combined, or a "best-of" I don't know, as I can't find an episode listing anywhere yet. I would also need to know the extent of any music editing before I splashed out for it.

Very strange how this (and St Elsewhere) are getting a UK release before a US release.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Don't many British releases of American shows have music intact where the Region 1 counterparts do not?

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    What I don't understand is that one month before release there's stil no official announcement, and it's not listed on FOX's UK site either. Interestingly, this was also to be released in Germany sometime in the first quarter of 2006. But after there was no announcement somebody on a German DVD forum emailed FOX Germany and they replied that the release has been put on hold due to rights issues for the time being.

Obviously, "rights issues" screams "music" so I'd like to point out that music that is intact in the UK is generally also intact in Germany... and even more so (e.g. the music on Dawson's Creek is completely intact on the German dub track, but replaced on the English language track).

Chris

6. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

I have a great fear that with no official information it will be taken off at the last minute.

It certainly does not seem to be happening with less than a month left.

I don't understand why sites would put it up for pre-order before it was officially announced - it has been online for 2 weeks now.

7. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

I noticed that this was slated to come out as well in the UK. I was wondering the same things. If this is, say S1/S2 and intact, then I might have to finally look at a region free player.

8. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

Here is the latest from Amazon Support,

9. Ben King

Ben King Stunt Coordinator

The Region 2 release of The Wonder Years has been put back to 26th December.

10. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

Amazon.co.uk still say August 7th, it ain't happening.

11. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was Fox, TVShowsonDVD lists Fox along with an article mentioning Fox releasing it.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...rner-bros.html

Lists The Wonder Years as one of the new shows going to iTV - so Warner Bros. owns it?

I can't see how it could go from New World -> Fox -> WB?

12. Ben King

Ben King Stunt Coordinator

This doesn't answer your question, but The Wonder Years is currently scheduled for a December release here in the UK. No idea which company is bringing this out however - or indeed whether it will actually come out at all.

St. Elsewhere is also meant to be coming out on DVD here in Britain too - but the release keeps being postponed. Current scheduled date is 7th August for the first season.

13. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

Warner Bros. owns the TV broadcast rights. Fox owns the home entertainment rights, and possibly the cable TV broadcast rights (although that might be Warner now, too).

14. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Pavan.

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It always pays to ask the right question - didn't you mean to ask why this isn't out on DVD yet?

Fox only partially owns it. The majority of its real ownership is tied up with the license holders of all of the music in it.

Glenn

16. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

17. Bernard O'Neill

My understanding was the main inhibitor to a "Wonder Years" release was sorting out the rights to all the songs used throughout the series.

18. Bernard O'Neill

Sorry Glenn, I just noticed that you already mentioned that. My eyes must have skipped over your post.

19. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

That's ok, he didn't want to hear it!

Glenn

20. Josh_LaF

Josh_LaF Agent

Josh
    After reading this news item on TVShowsonDVD.com, I got to thinking. Do you think studios could benefit from putting two versions of a season out? One with the original music for die hard fans of the show, that they could charge an excessive amount more for, and one with replacement music, that they could charge a more reasonable price. I for one would possibly buy the more expensive one to hear the original music. Do you think that this is a possible solution, not only for The Wonder Years, but for other shows that have been plagued by music replacement, or do you think that the studios would lose too much money?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6045