What's new

THE WONDER YEARS (Consolidated Thread; No New Ones, Please!) (1 Viewer)

ManuelIP

Grip
Hi guys

does anyone know which company holds the rights for a DVD release of the TV show "The Wonder Years" (starring i.e. Fred Savage, Dan Lauria)?

are there already plans to release the show? I could imagine that music clearance could slow down a relase, but is there any hope?

thanks
Manuel

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
We thought it was Warner, but apparently according to the chat, it's not.

Laserlight released two discs with a few episodes on each, with a different recording of the theme song and a few other music changes. Generally, the quality of the Laserlight DVDs sucked.

I'd really love for season sets, as it's such an excellent show. But like you say, music clearance is probably a hurdle.

Nonetheless, a hurdle that would be worth leaping over, in my opinion. If it all depends on the bottom line, I'm sure the show would sell well, with its wide, cross-generational appeal.

ManuelIP

Grip
what about Anchor Bay Entertainment? Could they have the rights for TWY? Some years ago the released the first 4 episodes on VHS (with the original music).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Since the show was on ABC, I'm going to guess Disney may hold the rights now.

The music clearances on this show are HORRIFICLY expensive. Frankly I believe we'll be lucky to see best-ofs

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
New World Pictures and Warner Brothers worked on the television show (I'm guessing New World produced, Warner distributed).

Warner has mentioned previous times that they don't own the property, which would mean New World Pictures would own it.

That would mean whoever owns New World Pictures now would own the property (Anchor Bay). But would Anchor Bay pay the expensive music rights to distribute the show on DVD?

Are we definately sure that anchor bay own the rights?

If so, maybe we should let them know how many people want this classic show on DVD.

I know I do....

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's possible Anchor Bay has it now. If I were them I would have to endorse a "best-of" set to see how it sells. Wonder Years is one of those shows that will either sell nothing or sell very well. Given how much money is going to be involved, it would be prudent to test the waters, and include some sort of feedback form inside the disc case that asks "Do you want season sets, how much would you pay etc etc"

Thats a good idea, Jeff but the thing is, I think most people wouldn't buy best-of releases. They would prefer to buy season by season sets. Testing the waters with the first season is a great idea.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If Anchor Bay does indeed own the rights to the show, they could release the entire first season on one disc (six episodes). Screw best-of, one could have the entire first season on one dual layer disc. Throw a few extras on it and release it with an SRP of $14.99 - 29.99 (depending on how much the music rights cost).

Season 1: 6 episodes (1 disc)
Season 2: 17 episodes (2 - 3 discs)
Season 3: 23 episodes (3 - 4 discs)
Season 4: 23 episodes (3 - 4 discs)
Season 5: 24 episodes (3 - 4 discs)
Season 6: 22 episodes (3 - 4 discs)
Overall: 115 episodes (15 - 20 discs)

:)

EDIT: Or they could release the first two seasons together in a box set. Then release every other season in it's own box set. ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't aware Season 1 was only 6 eps, then it would be logical to do that as a test, however I bet it would be preferable to do Season 1 and 2 in 1 package

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Why not do a cheap S1 release, ramp up to a more expensive (~3x price) S2 release, and then if that sells they can plan for the rest of the seasons (each ~4x the price of S1).

If folks have bought S1 and S2, then they surely would go all the way through the others.

Im with you on that one, David.

I would pay $70 each for the season box sets. Thats how much i really do want The Wonder Years released on DVD.

The question is, What can we do now to get these released?

Jo_C

Second Unit
For the record, folk,

All Warners owns of the show is the syndication rights, and only that...nothing else. Twentieth Century Fox (the successor to New World/Genesis) holds all other rights...however, the video rights are a different story. LaserLight released "unofficial" video/DVD releases of "The Wonder Years" (with some of the music replaced, obviously), so it's possible the video rights are tied up in knots. It also could very well be the series is in public domain, even though it was produced a short time ago in the 1980s. All ABC figured in all of this is that they originally aired the show, and that's it.

Still, since Anchor Bay does hold the video rights to New World's property, it would be nice if AB would indeed do a definitve "official" release.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
The music clearances on this show are HORRIFICLY expensive. Frankly I believe we'll be lucky to see best-ofs
I'd love to have this whole series on DVD as much as anyone, but I have to agree with Jeff. I've been TIVO-ing eps every day from ABC Family and most shows had at least two pop tunes from the period, not counting the Joe Cocker version of the theme song (which was replaced on the Laserlight DVDs, which oddly had the gorgeous Joni Mitchell song "River" on the Christmas one... I'd've thought they would have to replace that one, too). It would cost a small fortune to get music rights, and music was part of what made this show special. I don't think, for instance, the Christmas ep where Winnie and Kevin exchange gifts would have been near as impactful without Joni Mitchell.

I think we can expect to pay $50+ for these sets (and the earlier suggestion of $70 isn't out of the question), which may affect sales and make it unfeasible for Anchor Bay.

I'm anxious to see what they say in the chat.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
You can all shoot me down for this, but I would fork out the bucks for this show before I would "Seinfeld"...

Even toward the end, when the characters were older and the stories weren't as "good", it was still better than most of what is on TV today.

Cleverly disguised as a kids show, "The Wonder Years" was for adults. The first two seasons go down as some of the best TV I think we have seen in primetime.

The finale of that show still sticks in my mind. We find out as viewers that Kevin and Winnie don't end up together. That still ticks me off. At the very end of the episode, we hear narrator Daniel Stern tell his son "I'll be right there" in answer to a request to go play catch.

A fantastic series.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the final episode, I hated how Laserlight didn't get clearance for the music from Randy Newman's "The Natural" score. It really worked well, and it sucked when it wasn't there.

But as someone else mentioned, "River" was an essential inclusion and it's good it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks