What's new

The Wizard On DVD (1 Viewer)

Stu King

Auditioning
I used to luv this movie, i'd buy it straight away. I see Little Monsters another fred savage film has been released on DVD maybe there is hope yet for The Wizard.

Stu :)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Exactly Stu. I haven't bought Little Monsters because it's in full screen. I can (have) record/encode a full screen version off cable. I will give them my cash once the OAR version comes out.

I would buy the wizard too.

John*P

Second Unit
This is my most wanted DVD. This movie was a huge part of many 80s kids childhoods, myself included. I'm totally confused as to why it hasn't been released yet. I had to buy a used VHS copy off eBay a few years ago. :-/ A Special Edition would rock, with an audio commentary, (the 3 kids and director Todd Holland...or at least just Todd, he gives interesting commentaries) theatrical trailer, featurettes, etc. Oh, and it should be widescreen, of course.

I wonder if Universal and/or Nintendo are embarrassed by this movie? Its alot of fun to watch for kids who grew up with it, but I wonder if some of the people involved in the making of the film are now ashamed by the blatant product placement? Even so, many people are dying for this movie to be released on region 1 DVD. C'mon Universal, we've waited long enough! :) Bring The Wizard to DVD!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I purchased a used VHS copy about 3 years ago for about 4 bucks, so that'll suffice in the meantime. I was a child of the 80's as well, so this movie was definitely a big part of my youth. Watching it today, I will admit that it's cheesy as hell, but it's still a lot of fun to watch, as well as see some of the old games I hadn't played in well over a decade.

It would be great if this came out on DVD with an audio commentary by Fred Savage, as well as Jenny Lewis. I'd love to hear their great comments (or lack thereof) of this movie. lol.

Brian F

Agent
The Wizard is one of the greatest bad films ever made! A Universal Ultimate Edition is definitely in order!:)

"You make money off of kids you miserable jerk! You oughtta be shot!"

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Wow, I haven't thought about this film in ages. This was one seriously bad movie. It takes guts to make a 90 minute theatrical ad for "Super Mario Bros. 3".

BarryS

Second Unit
This was one seriously bad movie.
Bad movie?? With the brilliant performances of Beau Bridges, Christian Slater and Fred Savage? And a beautiful heartfelt story about a lonely little boy who's hurting inside and finds solace only in his video games? Surely, you're joking. What about the scene where Corey (Fred Savage) tells the story of how Jimmy's sister drowned years earlier? Not a dry eye in the house. The Wizard was seriously snubbed at the '90 Oscars.

I'd buy The Wizard, heck yeah. This movie is screaming for a special edition. It should have renewed interested now that Jenny Lewis is famous in the world of music as well.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just keep your power gloves off HER, all right??>>>

I really hope that Fred Savage was home schooled. If he went back to School after the movie was released, and his fellow classmates saw him speak that line... :)

Then again, it was the 80's, they might just have said, 'too cool! What was it like to actually use the Power Glove dude?' :)

I'd LOVE a commentary by Fred Savage to see what he thinks of this now that it's 20 years later... Does he generally do entertaining commentaries?

Oh, and I am ashamed to admit that if memory is serving me, I did feel giddy with excitment at the reveal of SMB3 at the end. That's the only part I vaugley remember seeing in the theater :). And just to get off topic, does anyone remember around this time when Nintendo had a mall contest where 15 or so kids where lined up to play the original SMB? I took part in this, only to loose, because when I was ahead, I kept on trying to glance at the other screens to see how high there score was :)..

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
This really needs to be a Special Edition. They could call it The Wizard "You got 50,000 on Double Dragon?!" Edition.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Hopefully we'll get the original theaterical version. I'm hoping they won't have to do something stupid like take out various video game soundtracks or effects because of liscensing issues.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
As a former nintendoholic I must say I worshipped this movie as a kid. It is definitely on my must have list...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks