What's new

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hate to bring up something as crass as money but Walmart is offering a pre-order for this title at $19.96. I'd buy it at $30 but I can still use the ten or something else!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Wiza...ScqLOY6Z6ojYwpOlSX59H_PLBVZhhCARoCWccQAvD_BwE
Thanks for this. I went ahead and asked for a refund on my recent iTunes purchase, since it's no longer in 4K/DV like when I purchased it, and placed an order here. Twenty dollars is my upper limit for UHD disc purchases, so I decided to splurge.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
No mono track on the UHD. Same stereo track with Garland's line missing. Looks like my favorite movie will never be truly complete from now on. It is a shame.
Where are you getting that information? The press release hasn’t yet established soundtrack specs on the 4K disc.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The UHD disc contains neither a mono track nor Atmos. No new toy for people who want to hear it with a brand new fancy soundtrack and no original track those who want to hear it as it was originally presented. The same old dtsma 5.1 soundtrack as the old Blu-ray.
In other words they didn't care about people who wanted the original soundtrack and they thought the fancy UHD label slapped on the package would be enough for the people who want the latest most advanced thing.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • BRAND NEW 8K 16-BIT SCAN OF THE ORIGINAL TECHNICOLOR CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • DOLBY VISION HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • Optional English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, Brazilian Portuguese, Complex Chinese, Castilian Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German SDH, Italian SDH, Japanese, Norwegian, and Swedish subtitles for the main feature
4K BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Commentary by John Fricke with Barbara Freed-Saltzman, Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, John Lahr, Jane Lahr, Hamilton Meserve, Dona Massin, William Tuttle, Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy and Jerry Maren.
  • 1990 CBS Special "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic."
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Commentary- Commentary by John Fricke with Barbara Freed-Saltzman, Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, John Lahr, Jane Lahr, Hamilton Meserve, Dona Massin, William Tuttle, Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy and Jerry Maren
  • The Making of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Storybook (narrated by Angela Lansbury)
  • We Haven't Really Met Properly…
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Frank Morgan"
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Ray Bolger"
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Bert Lahr"
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Jack Haley"
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Billie Burke"
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Margaret Hamilton"
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Charley Grapewin"
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Clara Blandick"
    • We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Terry"
  • Music & Effects Track
  • Original Mono Track
  • Sing Along Tracks
  • Audio Jukebox
  • Leo is on the Air Radio Promo
  • Good News of 1939 Radio Show
  • 12/25/1950 Lux Radio Broadcast
  • Stills Galleries
    • Oz on Broadway
    • Pre-MGM
    • Sketches and Storyboards
    • Richard Thorpe's Oz
    • Buddy Ebsen
    • Oz Comes to Life
    • Behind the Scenes
    • Portraits
    • Special Effects
    • Post Production
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Original Publicity
    • 8/15/1939 Hollywood Premiere
    • 8/17/1939 New York Premiere
    • 2/29/1940 Academy Awards® Ceremony
    • Oz Abroad
    • Oz Revivals
    • Trailers

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No mention of any soundtrack specs for the UHD. But at least the Blu Ray has the original mono track.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
And who would buy it be buying this particular release for the Blu-ray presentation? The old Blu-ray already had a mono soundtrack.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
upload_2019-9-3_18-7-45.jpeg

Probably not final as there is no mention of the mono track on the Blu which IS listed on the specs.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The reason they are not showing the mono on the Blu-ray disc art is because it is listed as a bonus feature in a lossy format in the press release.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The reason they are not showing the mono on the Blu-ray disc art is because it is listed as a bonus feature in a lossy format in the press release.
Huh? We’re talking about mono being included on the UHD. And not being listed on the image above for the Blu Ray audio specs. Or am I missing your meaning?

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I was stating that mono is not mentioned at all on the disc art because in the press release it's only shown as a bonus feature on the Blu-ray disc. It's not being shown even as a bonus feature on the UHD disc there's no chance in my opinion that the UHD will contain the mono soundtrack or they would have mentioned it just as they mentioned the mono soundtrack was a bonus feature on the Blu-ray. If somehow magically the mono appears on the UHD disc that's great but I seriously doubt it's going to -- hope I'm wrong.
My larger point was that UHD format is supposed to appeal to both purists and traditionalist who want original soundtracks and conversely to people who like all the new bells and whistles like Atmos. And if they turn out not to have either Atmos or mono then at least in the soundtrack Department they are delivering for neither one of those two groups.
Instead of trying to appeal to all groups it appears sometimes they only want to cater to one or neither when they come up with things like soundtracks and Alternate cuts. Instead of the Watchmen having all three cuts of the movie they only have one. which is great if you like the ultimate cut but if you like the director's cut or theatrical you don't get your preferred version. The only reason they do this is out of cheapness and laziness and it looks like this trend is going to be continuing. And as a fan of physical media the best way to keep the format alive is to give as many options on the discs we get rather than the least.
There are already a handful of titles did I have refrained from buying on UHD because they didn't contain my preferred cut of the movie. But a lot of times I see people who by chance by the luck of the draw their preferred version of a movie is the one that get released on UHD they do a happy dance and basically have an in-your-face attitude to the people who like the other/alternate versions. I wanted to hear a new Atmos soundtrack but I also very much wanted to see a mono soundtrack because I want all the fans of the format and the movie to be happy with the new release.
In this case the UHD contains what I suppose Warner believes is the most popular soundtrack they could offer which is DTS Master audio 5.1 so I'm really happy for all the people who have that as their preferred soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks