1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RICK BOND, May 6, 2019.

1. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    Yes of all the deleted scenes the Jitterbug is the ones I miss the most even more than the longer version of the Scarecrow dance.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  2. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    I didn't hear about the Jitterbug until I heard about The Wizard Of Oz on Ice back in 1996 when my grandmother went to see it for me as I had moved to Hawaii with my mother and step-father when it came to then MCI Center in Washington D.C. It was talked about on making of VHS she bough along with other souvenirs. It wasn't until the 1998 Special Edition that I learned more about this deleted sequence from the Angela Lansbury hosted documentary that was included on both the VHS and DVD.

It looked like it would of been a fun number, but I can see why MGM cut it as when lyricists E.Y. Harburg originally wrote the lyrics in 1938 the word Jitterbug meant nothing, but by the time Oz was released in 1939, the Jitterbug was a big dance craze and MGM didn't want the film to be dated cause of it. From the home video footage, it looked like everyone had fun dancing around, too bad none of that footage includes the Jitterbug itself though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PMF and Tony Bensley like this.
  3. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Is it explained somewhere how the full length version of the scarecrow dance was found in pristine condition when the other cuts apparently can’t be found in any condition?

PMF, Camper and Tony Bensley like this.
  4. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    Are you trying to say that the Jitterbug dance that they're doing in The Wizard Of Oz deleted scene is not the Jitterbug dance or similar to it than the one that became popular around the same time?

Tony Bensley likes this.
  5. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    The Jitterbug had been a dance since at least 1935 starting with a short film by Cab Calloway. It was completely well-known by 1938 and 1939. He also wrote a song called the Jitterbug in 1934. They were fully aware of the Jitterbug dance when they added it to the script they just threw in the twist that the witches bug would cause them to do a jitterbug dance.

PMF, Suzanne.S, Gary16 and 1 other person like this.
  6. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    From that footage that didn't look like The Jitterbug to me, they weren't doing what Lucy did in the classic episode.

7. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    From what I've read the Jitterbug was not a specific one type of dance move it was just a style of frenetic dancing. And I have seen some Jitterbug Dancing In old black and white movies from the 30s where some of the moves were definitely similar to The Wizard of Oz sequence.

Tony Bensley and darkrock17 like this.
  8. Message #448 of 513 Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    Here's a video of some Jitterbug Dancing that's from a later date than the Wizard of Oz.
    But a lot of the moves seem the same from when I watched the entire Jitterbug deleted scene. So either this dance was based on a deleted scene from The Wizard of Oz or The Wizard of Oz was based on an earlier dance
    At any rate I don't currently own the disc that has the Jitterbug dance from The Wizard of Oz to watch and compare. But I will on October 29th!

Tony Bensley and Gary16 like this.
  9. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    Here you go

PMF and Camper like this.
  10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    What I love about "The Jitterbug" in those Harold Arlen home movie clips is that the trees are dancing, too, and clapping along. It's so charming.

11. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

The dancing and clapping trees seem completely out of place given the apple tree behavior prior to the jitterbug sequence. Plus, here they are, in the Haunted Forest, and these menacing trees are going to suddenly start dancing?

Cutting the jitterbug scene was the right call. I'm sad that the original footage was destroyed but, even it had survived, its best place would be as supplemental bonus material, NOT in the actual film.

Mark

Tony Bensley, PMF, Suzanne.S and 3 others like this.
  12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I agree with you Mark.

13. Jay_Z_525

Jay_Z_525 Extra

Jason Zappolo
    Completely agree with this statement. Wouldn’t it have been great if for this 4K presentation they actually went back and rescanned the home movies? I’m not saying 4K would be the way to go but these (and most of the supplements) haven’t seen an upgrade in years. It’s been 30 years that we’ve been seeing the same Jitterbug recreation.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  14. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Yeah, the inconsistent attitude and behavior of the trees ruins the reality of the piece. :D

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yes, the trees around here don't dance nearly that well. I think they must have two left roots.

:drum:

16. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    The Apple trees I think we're brought to life by the Wicked Witch as she is seen hiding behind an apple tree right as Dorothy and Scarecrow see said trees. This picture of Wicked Witch which I've never seen until now backs up that theory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tony Bensley and PMF like this.
  17. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    What should not have been cut was the Triumphal Procession after the Witch is melted. It was a one minute spectacular through the streets of Oz, with hundreds of Emerald City's finest, decked out to the nines. The parade through the streets with a reprise of DING DONG, THE WITCH IS DEAD would have given the musical a much needed number, as the last third of the film is now without one. It looked to be Art Deco amazing! What a waste of all those intricate costumes by Adrian.

18. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
  19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think that's usually their standard price for many 4K catalog titles.

Camper likes this.
  20. Message #460 of 513 Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    It would of been a nice sequence, but it makes senses it was cut as it's just the foursome being welcomed back; they most likely didn't have any dialogue and it was just them smiling and prancing around. The dissolve from Dorothy getting the broomstick from the Winkie guard to already being back in Wizard's throne room just moved the story along easier without needing a parade.

Emerald City's design was all Art Deco, as that was the style of the 1930's and 1940's. Adrian's costumes weren't wasted as we got to see a lot of them in Merry Old Land Of Oz number. The return parade would of just been a quick reprise to see all Emerald City citizens again before we saw them when The Wizard get's ready to depart in his balloon.

[​IMG]

Tony Bensley likes this.