Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yes of all the deleted scenes the Jitterbug is the ones I miss the most even more than the longer version of the Scarecrow dance.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It's a shame the Jitterbug sequence is lost. I still recall when my high school staged a production of Oz and they included the Jitterbug number. That was a huge hit with the audience.
I didn't hear about the Jitterbug until I heard about The Wizard Of Oz on Ice back in 1996 when my grandmother went to see it for me as I had moved to Hawaii with my mother and step-father when it came to then MCI Center in Washington D.C. It was talked about on making of VHS she bough along with other souvenirs. It wasn't until the 1998 Special Edition that I learned more about this deleted sequence from the Angela Lansbury hosted documentary that was included on both the VHS and DVD.

It looked like it would of been a fun number, but I can see why MGM cut it as when lyricists E.Y. Harburg originally wrote the lyrics in 1938 the word Jitterbug meant nothing, but by the time Oz was released in 1939, the Jitterbug was a big dance craze and MGM didn't want the film to be dated cause of it. From the home video footage, it looked like everyone had fun dancing around, too bad none of that footage includes the Jitterbug itself though.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Are you trying to say that the Jitterbug dance that they're doing in The Wizard Of Oz deleted scene is not the Jitterbug dance or similar to it than the one that became popular around the same time?

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The Jitterbug had been a dance since at least 1935 starting with a short film by Cab Calloway. It was completely well-known by 1938 and 1939. He also wrote a song called the Jitterbug in 1934. They were fully aware of the Jitterbug dance when they added it to the script they just threw in the twist that the witches bug would cause them to do a jitterbug dance.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The Jitterbug had been a dance since at least 1935 starting with a short film by Cab Calloway. It was completely well-known by 1938 and 1939. He also wrote a song called the Jitterbug in 1934. They were fully aware of the Jitterbug dance when they added it to the script they just threw in the twist that the witches bug would cause them to do a jitterbug dance.
From that footage that didn't look like The Jitterbug to me, they weren't doing what Lucy did in the classic episode.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
From what I've read the Jitterbug was not a specific one type of dance move it was just a style of frenetic dancing. And I have seen some Jitterbug Dancing In old black and white movies from the 30s where some of the moves were definitely similar to The Wizard of Oz sequence.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Here's a video of some Jitterbug Dancing that's from a later date than the Wizard of Oz.
But a lot of the moves seem the same from when I watched the entire Jitterbug deleted scene. So either this dance was based on a deleted scene from The Wizard of Oz or The Wizard of Oz was based on an earlier dance
At any rate I don't currently own the disc that has the Jitterbug dance from The Wizard of Oz to watch and compare. But I will on October 29th!

Last edited:

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Here's a video of some Jitterbug Dancing that's from a later than the Wizard of Oz.
But a lot of the moves seem the same from when I watch the entire Jitterbug deleted scene. So either this dance was based on a deleted scene from The Wizard of Oz or The Wizard of Oz was based on an earlier dance
At any rate I don't currently own the disc that has the Jitterbug dance from The Wizard of Oz to watch and compare. But I will on October 29th!

Here you go

Reactions: PMF and Camper

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
The dancing and clapping trees seem completely out of place given the apple tree behavior prior to the jitterbug sequence. Plus, here they are, in the Haunted Forest, and these menacing trees are going to suddenly start dancing?

Cutting the jitterbug scene was the right call. I'm sad that the original footage was destroyed but, even it had survived, its best place would be as supplemental bonus material, NOT in the actual film.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
The dancing and clapping trees seem completely out of place given the apple tree behavior prior to the jitterbug sequence. Plus, here they are, in the Haunted Forest, and these menacing trees are going to suddenly start dancing?

Cutting the jitterbug scene was the right call. I'm sad that the original footage was destroyed but, even it had survived, its best place would be as supplemental bonus material, NOT in the actual film.

Mark
I agree with you Mark.

Jay_Z_525

Agent
Real Name
Jason Zappolo

Mark
Completely agree with this statement. Wouldn’t it have been great if for this 4K presentation they actually went back and rescanned the home movies? I’m not saying 4K would be the way to go but these (and most of the supplements) haven’t seen an upgrade in years. It’s been 30 years that we’ve been seeing the same Jitterbug recreation.

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Real Name
John Moreland

Mark
Yeah, the inconsistent attitude and behavior of the trees ruins the reality of the piece. :D

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure

Mark
The Apple trees I think we're brought to life by the Wicked Witch as she is seen hiding behind an apple tree right as Dorothy and Scarecrow see said trees. This picture of Wicked Witch which I've never seen until now backs up that theory.

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
What should not have been cut was the Triumphal Procession after the Witch is melted. It was a one minute spectacular through the streets of Oz, with hundreds of Emerald City's finest, decked out to the nines. The parade through the streets with a reprise of DING DONG, THE WITCH IS DEAD would have given the musical a much needed number, as the last third of the film is now without one. It looked to be Art Deco amazing! What a waste of all those intricate costumes by Adrian.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
What should not have been cut was the Triumphal Procession after the Witch is melted. It was a one minute spectacular through the streets of Oz, with hundreds of Emerald City's finest, decked out to the nines. The parade through the streets with a reprise of DING DONG, THE WITCH IS DEAD would have given the musical a much needed number, as the last third of the film is now without one. It looked to be Art Deco amazing! What a waste of all those intricate costumes by Adrian.
It would of been a nice sequence, but it makes senses it was cut as it's just the foursome being welcomed back; they most likely didn't have any dialogue and it was just them smiling and prancing around. The dissolve from Dorothy getting the broomstick from the Winkie guard to already being back in Wizard's throne room just moved the story along easier without needing a parade.

Emerald City's design was all Art Deco, as that was the style of the 1930's and 1940's. Adrian's costumes weren't wasted as we got to see a lot of them in Merry Old Land Of Oz number. The return parade would of just been a quick reprise to see all Emerald City citizens again before we saw them when The Wizard get's ready to depart in his balloon.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
talaninja