What's new

The Wizard of Oz 4K UHD 80th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yeah, I know. When I bought The Ultimate Oz laserdisc set, I figured THAT would be the last one I'd ever buy, but Warners keeps finding new ways to separate me from my money.
Separating us from our money, yes; but always, always bringing us closer to Oz.;)

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I don't have an UHD player or TV, so I won't be buying, just like I passed on the 3D release. 3D doesn't work for me with my eye sight.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
A 3D Wizard of Oz is like a colourised Casablanca. No matter how well it’s done, it’s a gimmick too far.

It is by far no colorized CASABLANCA. It just adds more dimension to Emerald City. Although I do have the 3D version, a 4K would be nice to add to it as well as my 70th Anniversary box set, which I treasure and still have.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
The SHOCKWAVES Podcast Epsiode # 138 March 29th available on iTunes

Featured Michael L Fink who was visual effects supervisor for many great films

He was also in charge of the Wizard of Oz 3D conversion and he discussed it! And it is a great episode! Great trivia of Blade Runner and much more. The OZ 3D info was awesome and he even hated some 3D theatrical presentations! Hear the interview to find out more.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Why not just do a 4K version of this release. This time there would be no coasters.

51NhZERf-mL.jpg

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It will be very interesting to see what additional detail (if any) can be gleaned from a 1939 Technicolor film in UHD 4K. At least the colors in HDR should be very nice.
I expect someone to post a YouTube video or screen caps before its release, showing how the picture is teal-looking.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

50th - 1989 THE BIG ONE
55th - 1994 Nothing
60th - 1999 Nothing in the US, did have a limited run in the UK though.
65th - 2004 Nothing
70th - 2009 First time on
Blu
75th - 2014 IMAX 3D release
80th - 2019 UHD

The closest thing to a 55th anniversary edition was the Ultimate Oz CAV laserdisc box set. That actually was from MGM/UA and is still something I own. Many of the extras that carried over to future disc releases originated here.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The closest thing to a 55th anniversary edition was the Ultimate Oz CAV laserdisc box set. That actually was from MGM/UA and is still something I own. Many of the extras that carried over to future disc releases originated here.

The Ultimate Oz came out in 1993 and I wanted it, but like the 50th it was very expensive. Until the 1998 Special Edition, my only VHS copy was the one that my grandmother ordered from Avon along with Journey Back To Oz (1972/1974). My first DVD just happen to be the 1998 SE. From then on I got every new edition right up to the 70th Anniversary which was one of my very first Blu-rays.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Not quite on topic (count me in for the UHD release!), I just wanted to say that I really liked the distinctive artwork that Criterion had for its laserdisc releases. The one for Oz as posted earlier is particular favorite alongside likes of Blade Runner and The Third Man!
upload_2019-5-7_9-41-58.jpeg

Can’t explain but thanks for posting it folks. Back to the topic on hand:)

Regards

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Not quite on topic (count me in for the UHD release!), I just wanted to say that I really liked the distinctive artwork that Criterion had for its laserdisc releases. The one for Oz as posted earlier is particular favorite alongside likes of Blade Runner and The Third Man!
View attachment 58245

Can’t explain but thanks for posting it folks. Back to the topic on hand:)

Regards

Have to say I have a fond spot for Criterion's art design, although I thought many of their laserdisc jackets weren't all that super. The Wizard Of Oz laserdisc jacket I've always liked though. The master used 30 years ago on their Wizard Of Oz laserdisc was terrible, compared to the high standards we now expect. The 8K master used for the previous 2013 blu-ray release is so pristine, it reveals all the wires and make-up! I expect we'll get an 8K release for the 100th anniversary. By which time I'll have lost both my sight and hearing and will probably be completely gaga!

Last edited:

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
And the audio will probably still be botched: part of one of Judy's lines deleted, sound effects drowning out dialogue in the opening scene, and several scenes out of sync. Ned Price of WB promised that the changes would only be for the 1998 theatrical release, but we've been stuck with them ever since. Judy's line is in the script and was in the film from the premiere-1998. It was read with tremendous grief...now, she is simply whimpering.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The 3D conversion of Wizard is masterful. I’ll never watch it flat again. You honestly feel as if you are on the soundstage. It made me addicted to the movie again. I had grown tired of it having seen it
at least once a year since it premiered on TV since 1956.

My parents in fact saw it in 1939 (they were 7) and had also become a bit weary of the film over the years, but they were enchanted by the 3D version and said they felt like they saw it again for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks