What's new

THE WIZARD OF OZ: 2 and 3-Disc on October 25th, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Wow!! I had no idea. the current DVD has so many music cues, that it took me awhile to get through them! It would be nice if this new edition compiled everything from the laser and current editions, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
In USA Today Mr. Feltenstein is quoted as saying this new restoration allows one to see a pimple on Judy's lip.

:D

I'm very glad to hear the 1925 version is getting restored also and will be presented in its full length. Warners goes all out to makes these releases special and that is much appreciated by this consumer.

Steve

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I'm looking forward to Oct 25 so much that I might take the day off work! :b

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Personally, I'd rather Warner license Pink Floyd's 'Echoes' and include it synced to the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. IMO that pairing of Floyd and a classic movie is far more convincing and effective than the more popular DARK SIDE/ WIZARD OF OZ pairing.

Vincent

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Vincent,

You're right about the Echoes/2001 connection. I heard that Kubrick had actually commsioned Pink Floyd as sound consultants for 2001, but none of their contributions made the final cut. Echoes is supposedly the product of that collaboration. That too could be an urban legend, but the syncs seem too perfect and effective not to be intentional.

Making DSOTM an alternate track on Wizard of Oz would take away some of the fun and mystique of syncing the two up. Instead of it being some underground urban legend, making it alternate track would somehow ordain it as official and without having to make the effort to sync them, I don't think it would feel as much of a rewarding experience. Not to mention, it would send the price of the disc soaring. So no, I wouldn't want DSOTM as an alternate track.

Really, the Ultravision transfer should be enough to get anyone to buy this classic film. The extras will just be gravy, but look to be really really good gravy.

God I love Warner Brothers :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard of that one.

The frustrating thing about living in a PAL country is that the 4% speedup prevents us from actually doing the whole Pink Floyd movie pairing thing. Since I don't have Oz yet, I would certainly consider buying the r1 in order to try it, but I already own 2001 on PAL. Can I justify buying a second NTSC copy just for the Floyd? I don't know.

Anyway, back to Oz...

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

Brenton, I have both "Treasures" sets, and I can confirm that the 1910 film THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ is present on the "More Treasures..." set. If you are not familiar with the treasures sets and are interested in these sorts of films, I highly recommend them. The OZ film is from the George Eastman House library, and there are also films from the AMPAAS library, the Library of Congress, MoMA, and UCLA Film and Televison Archive. Each film is well presented and documented in the extensive liner notes (four pages on OZ alone!). For me, the "More Treasues" set is worth getting solely for Ernst Lubitsch's LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN. The fact that you get 49 other films is just a bonus!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, it's at least plausible that Pink Floyd set some of their music to go with 2001 or The Wizard of Oz.

They performed some music for Zabriskie Point, which was from MGM. Stanley Kubrick apparently asked them about using Atom Heart Mother (suite) in A Clockwork Orange.

It probably wasn't intentional, but just a nice co-incidence. Just from my experience, you can sync "Helter Skelter" to the "All I Do is Dream of You" number in Singin' in the Rain, as well as sync "Jump into the Fire" to the "pulled out heart" scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. ;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I guess it is for those with empty wallets! :D

I'm getting the three disc version, obviously. ;)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Count me in as well! I was more than happy with the ample extras on the original release, but this is just to good to pass up.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

No cover art has been made available from Warner's yet. I'm interested to see what they're going to come up with, as apparently both the 2-disc and 3-disc are getting different artwork. I'm sure either way it'll be great!

Andy

Brenton

Screenwriter
Am I the only one who is terrified of the cover art on the current DVD? I think it undermines the status of this film as such a timeless classic, and it hurts my eyes.

And the lettering they used for the title of the film just offends my eyes beyond belief.

Whatever the cover art is for these new DVDs, it had better look classy (for example, the Drew Struzan poster made for the 50th anniversary). And I'm not too picky about the logo they use for the title, as long as they do away with the horrible one on the current DVD. Maybe it would be a good idea if they use one that hearkens back to the on-screen title card.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Warners tends to use original poster art as a basis for their covers. If they choose to do that, ok by me.

You know, I'm almost to the point where I wish this is the last of the Warners goodies to be announced for 2005. Between this and Kong, Val Lewton, Garbo, etc. Warners has a pretty firm lock on my bank account for the rest of the year. Something is going to give if much more is on the table. (Yes, I know that I don't have to buy everything on release week, but the bean counter in me likes the pre-ordering pricing.)

Steve

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 disc version has the eye grabbing modern design and the 3 disc collectors version uses original artwork, I imagine both will be classy.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
At least for the three-disc one, which I will be buying, I want something classy or classic-looking. If it's similar to the style of art used for either of the 4-disc sets for GWTW or Ben-Hur, then it will be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks