What's new

THE WIRE - Some questions (S1 spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
1- I have heard the expression "Novel for TV" used to describe this series, does that mean the entire season is planned out before it starts?

2- In season 1, I understand that the judge stopped championing McNulty at some point because it was costing him some election. My question is, did he start helping him for political reasons as well or did he actually believe in the cause?

3- Any news of Season 3 on DVD?

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
And also:

4- What makes Barksdale the man? Why doesn't a sharp and much more charismatic mofo like Stringer Bell take over the operation?

--
H

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

It's the old story of 'book smart' vs. 'street smart'. But, really, you should put that question aside for now, and save it for Season 3. It's very hard to discuss it without leading you into spoiler territory.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I see. I kinda run into a S3 spoiler from reading around on Idris Elba.

Man, the biggest shocker was learning that this dude is british! :eek:.

I hope his career takes off some day in a big way.

--
H

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator
I do think that this a novel of pictures. I haven't seen S3 yet, so I won't spoil you by saying anything.

As far as the judge goes, he does withdraw some support to McNulty because of political pressure. He was left off of an election flyer. Of course, it turned out to be an 'administrative oversight'.

But that plot point ends up helping McNulty and crew a tremendous amount by reformulating their position.

As far as why Avon, I can only refer you to my favorite speech of the series: (and quite possibily one of the most brilliant moments in HBO history!)

- D'Angelo in episode 3 of Season 1 "the buys".

I loved watching S1 and S2 of The wire on DVD. Can't wait for S3 to come out!

cheers, Michael :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You're right , the chess lesson was one excellent moment, right up there with:

- The raid.

- Omar's whistling, trench coat and shotgun walk into the pit, with every hood rat scattering on his path.

- The expletive investigation.

- "Are we still cops?"

- Officer down.

- "Where don't you want to go?"

And many others.

About book vs street smarts, it's apparent that Stringer Bell has both in spades. I guess I'll just have to be patient :).

Please note that I only watched 2 eps in S2.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A little of the latter, but mostly because he got furious after watching a witness change her story after being coerced. That's a direct invasion of his turf. (As a general rule, judges hate it when witnesses lie.)

M.

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator
My second favorite scene of the series (although not nearly as good as the Chess analogy) is from season 1. McNulty and Buck are trying to piece together a 6 month old crime scene (the tap tap tap murder)

All they say to each other the entire time is "FUCK
" over and over, as the put the pieces together. "Fuck, Fuck, Fuck! Oh FUCK!
" I don't generally like profanity but that scene is just priceless and captures both characters so well and their friendship. It's about as far from Law & Order as you can get, but still amazingly good police work.

But still, the best of the series has to be "the king is the king".

Can't wait for S3 to come out!

- cheers, Michael

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I hope that HBO doesn't make us wait until next year for the release of season three. I'm really jonesin' for an all day "The Wire" marathon. :D

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Just my $.02, but The Wire is the best drama on TV, at least when it's on. With that said, season 3 will probably hit once the air date for 4 is established. I could have sworn I read they were filming over the summer. If that's the case, they may put it on once Rome is done in November and prior to the Sopranos return in the spring. Or just wait until Sopranos is over. HBO.com has a pretty good message board for the show, and the writers, especially David Simon, show up quite a bit. Beware the S3 spoilers though.

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know who will be doing the theme song this time for season 4? I also can't wait for S3 to come out! Damn, I love this show.

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
Season 4 began filming on August 1st. My bet is that season 4 will come on right after the first of the year and wrap up right before the sopranos and deadwood come back.

I don't know for sure that deadwood and sopranos will air around the same time, but that sure would be a great way to spend your Sunday night.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I must apologize for having dissapeared from this thread for so long, that is rude to those who took the time to answer my questions.

I started several responses that I never did finish, and therefore never sent. As I watch the show, I keep revising my thoughts and characters and situations.

In any case, just a heads up, I watched episode 3x11, second to last of Season 3. The rooftop scene and the conclusion of the episode was some sad stuff.

--
H

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just pray they get S3 out before S4 starts. I never watched it in broadcast, but got hooked and spoiled by the relatively close release of S1 and S2. And it look slike I just missed it recently in replay.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, this is the first show that has prompted me to go through alternative routes to acquire yet to be released seasons (a habit which I have since extended to Deadwood S2 and 24 S4...)

At the end of S2, althought I prefered S1 (and subsequently S3), I was so thoroughly engrossed in that universe that there was no way I could wait for S3 to be released god only knows when.

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I had the same order of preference, until I watched season 2 a second time. Every season of The Wire has been excellent, but season 2 was notable for branching out beyond the world of law enforcement and offering an incisive portrait of the decline of the American city as a center of industry. It's the essential social underpinning for the meditations on the drug war that dominate season 1 and 3.

I was aware of these layers when I first watched season 2, but I was too busy sorting out the plotlines to focus on them. Knowing how the story plays out the second time around, I was able to pay more attention to the details of the union and its members and on Frank Sobotka's destruction of what he loved best through the best of intentions. At the end, when I got to the scene of Nick walking down the road and pausing to look through the fence, that montage of blighted facilities hit me like a sledgehammer.

M.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Boy am I late to the party -- again!

Just as I only discovered Homicide: Life On The Street on DVD, so it goes with The Wire -- I've only just reached Kima's shooting, so that's nearly the end of S1.

Reading the comments above about Barksdale vis-a-vis Stringer, after Omar's attempted hit on Avon and Stringer's comment about building a wall around Avon, it was pretty obvious to me that in future Bell might try a coup against Avon. That is after all the way of the underworld, is it not?

I really look forward to getting further into this. So many DVDs, so little time...

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
The Wire is the best TV show ever made. I saw S1 in November last year. I started S2 in February and just went straight through all the way to the end, finishing about a week ago. I had downloaded the show (no other way to check it out) but since I finished, in the last two weeks I have bought seasons 1, 2 and 4, and will be picking up S3 later today, then patiently waiting until August for S5, which I'll be getting on release day if I can.

Twin Peaks was my favourite TV show of all time. The Wire has replaced it. Just a flat out astonishing show on so many levels. The fact it was ignored by the public at large and the Emmy idiots is far more an indictment of them than the show.

And yes, I was shocked to learn Idris was a Brit. I knew McNulty and Carcetti are played by Brits (or Irish in the case of Carcetti) but was amazed to learn Stringer was a Brit!

I always loved the line about the war on drugs in the first episode and Carver say it's not a war. When asked why he says "wars end".

If this show was a woman, I'd marry it. Hell, if it was a man I'd turn gay and marry it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks