What's new

The Wire season two. (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
my order just arrived from Amazon today, and with it i got a pleasant surprise. included with my copy was a promotional disc featuring the first episode of Deadwood. anyone else get this included with their copy? or is this maybe something only with Amazon?

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
Mine came from Amazon.ca and didn't include a promo DVD unfortunately :frowning:
But since Deadwood is included in my next order anyway it doesn't matter that much. Still would've been nice.

Also while I like the box art of the show why couldn't they have picked a better color for the letters on the side of the box? You can hardly read the metallic white/silver font on the light green metallic surface. I don't know who gave the OK on that box?!

RobertW

Supporting Actor
just noticed that. odd, since it's black on the front cover.

i wonder what the story is with the Deadwood promo then. i picked up this set in a couple stores to look it over before i finally ordered it, and didn't notice any promo disc included with them either. but maybe they just stuck the Deadwood discs in a certain number at random. i thought it was pretty cool though, when i saw it.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Hrmmm, I rather enjoyed Season 2 and I still haven't viewed a single episode of Season 1. Amazing, I can never find it in myself to put the $70 down for Season 1. Either way, I'll prolly end up purchising Seasons 1 and 2 along with 'The Corner'.

Side Note: Am I the only one who wants to see a DVD release of the Series "Roc", which stars Charles Dutton and a number of notable african-american actors. I bring it up because Dutton is I believe the Director of 'The Corner' which is what spawned 'The Wire'.

Point is, I grew attached to Frank, Nick, Ziggy, Beadie, The Greek (or the myth of the Greek). Even if the plot line seems a bit far fetched at times, the show still remains stellar. The constant theme of 'cops wanting to do good dispite pressure from street corners to politics'. It's great...HBO does it again...

BTW, I need to watch that Deadwood.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm finally getting around to watching season 2 on DVD. It's even better than I remembered. Even more than season 1, this one benefits from multiple viewings, because it tells two parallel stories that brush against each other but never quite meet.

A mistake I just noticed: The "previously on" segments for eps. 4 and 5 are reversed.

M.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I just watched S2. Whilst for me it would be going too far to say I got attached to Frank or Nick, it was certainly interesting in that with Frank, you could understand that everything he did, was solely for the benefit of his union, to improve the lot of his members. He never benefited personally from his dealings with The Greek, as was confirmed by the police investigations into his personal finances. So whilst notionally 'the bad guy', I felt a lot of sympathy for him.

In contrast, the cop that started the entire investigation, Major Velchek, was a petty little man stroking his own ego, to the extent that he belittled his own son-in-law, who was turning into a fine investigator, before his professional colleagues.

With Nick, less so, since it was all for personal profit, but again at least you could see he was at the end a stand-up guy, trying to save Horseface as well.

The Greek and the rest of his people, I suppose they were the cardboard villains.

I have to say, Stringer conducting a de facto management/business seminar with his boys had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen -- sorry, just realised that's in S3 Ep 1, which I watched half of last night. But even in S2, when Stringer was applying all his economics and business classes to his 'product', was really funny. All that stuff about when the product is inferior, change the name, and then his boys coming up with the idea of two different names for the same thing, just to give the appearance of competition.

At the end of S2, I was hoping that Beadie would join with the 'real' po-lice, rather than the port cops, since she had been showing so much interest in the investigative techniques of the actual cops. But she went back to her port beat. Oh well. And what's more heart-breaking was the end montage, when Nick was glumly clutching the fence looking in at the port, showing that despite the unit's work, it was business as usual again, Proposition Joe getting supplied via a new connection, new girls being shipped in, and drugs still being dealt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks