What's new

THE WIRE season 3 (ongoing thread) (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
james, i think he saw it coming. you see his reaction when he told avon what time he was gonna be there? that minute he thought something was up. i loved the boxing then switching to avon and stringer like it was some foreshadowing. good googgamooga i love this show.

James St

Supporting Actor
The Avon/Stringer meeting started off like good ole times. When Avon asked about the meeting time it sounded so out of place coming from him and Stringer picked up on that. The demeanor of both of them changed from that point on. The hug at the end seemed like they both knew that was the end. What surprised me was that Stringer went to the meeting. Did he feel that the muscle he had with him would suffice or did not really believe Avon would give him up or order a hit?

I'm really sad to see Stringer go. I enjoyed his character and thought Idris Elba did an excellent job.

Oh well, back to square one for the Police.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I think he saw something coming - but not Omar and Mouzone. Those two don't operate in the same way as the run-of-the-mill street thugs. Perhaps Stringer thought he was safe at that moment?

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
but who was kima kissing in the preview? dang.

i know i have said this before, but this was THE best episode ever.

James St

Supporting Actor
I didn't see the previews originally, McNulty was just a guess. After watching the west coast feed it definitely was not McNulty. I believe the person Kima was kissing had large hoop earrings.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
dang. i wont have my tivo until next year. shoot. i will watch it again tonight. this is one show where you have to pay attention to every single detail.

like when brother told omar that he was going through the front door for a change. classic!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In an episode loaded with tense confrontations (Mouzone and Omar, Mouzone and Avon, Stringer and Colvin, Stringer and Avon, Mouzone/Omar and Stringer), there was also one that, in its own quiet way, was just as earth-shaking -- McNulty and D'Agostino. The expressions that passed over McNulty's face when he realized that D'Agostino was only there to pump him for information were fascinating. And when he pushed back from the table and walked away, it struck me as the beginning of some sort of redemption. OTOH, it was a good deed, and in the world of The Wire, no good deed goes unpunished.

M.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I found myself feeling sad that Stringer was finally killed. He's such a selfish heartless prick but he was my favorite character (other than McNaulty maybe), and I hope to see the actor that played him get some more good roles.

I always thought that Stringer was smarter than Avon, but it turned out that Avon's street smarts superceded Stringer's intellectual smarts.

Seemed like Omar and Mulzone really wanted to savor the moment before they killed him.

Man, this is the best show I have ever seen. I mean, it's not even close. No one I know watches it unfortunately, and it's not a show you can pick up mid way through. I sure hope they keep the show going for as many seasons as possible.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

In a way, Stringer outsmarted himself. By the end of season 2, it looked like the biggest risk to Stringer would be Avon's anger when he learned that Stringer had D'Angelo killed. That didn't happen (and I still believe that, at some level, Avon knew D'Angelo was a liability -- as Stringer says when the truth is revealed: he did what Avon couldn't do).

But what ultimately catches up with Stringer are his machinations with the drug business. He entered into certain deals ("the Proposition Joe package", as Avon mutters in the meeting with Brother Mouzone), and then to protect those deals, he tried to have Omar remove Brother Mouzone. It's taken a whole year, but that's what finally caught up with him. Avon doesn't engineer Stringer's death, but he accepts that it's both inevitable and necessary to his own survival in the business.

M.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Of course String lived long enough to throw Avon under the bus. The Wire is truly the best show in TV right now. I love ER and CSI but The Wire is on a whole different level.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Michael,

You're right about the scene with NcNulty. It was very powerful in its own right. He saw that his thing with her was never going to be anything else but a user's relationship (either for sex or info) and he did the right thing by getting out. Dominic West did a great job of showing all the emotions playing through McNulty in his face. :emoji_thumbsup:

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
the fact that she was gonna pay for the info with sex was what got mcnutty. he was like naw, i'm the player here not you. i hate the way she contorts her neck. anyhoot. i think the thing that brought the episode home for me was not when stringer got shot but the dialogue between string and avon on the terrace. all avon wanted was to have his dream and stringer shot it down by saying we dont have to dream anymore. we got shit. avon knew he had stuff but he also remembered what slim said earlier. once you in the game, you in the game. and avon knew that. he also knew that there was more than just having "shit". he wanted more but didnt see a clear way to end the cycle. he saw that stringer tried to get legit but still had that ghetto thug mentality by trying to off clay davis. that's why he told string that was his fight to fight. didnt have anything to do with the organization. i love this show so much. and sorry to all the stringerbellas (i dont think any are on this board) but string had to go. it was shocking seeing him flee up the stairs and through the building and then that cold look in his eyes when omar told him his boy gave him up. string said there is nothing left just get on with the getting on if you're gonna do it. blam!!! damn good show.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

If that was McNulty's problem, we would have seen it when D'Agostino made him wait in the hotel room while she worked a political function. She was clearly in charge, but McNulty didn't care as long as he got laid. This goes deeper.

In the previous episode, McNulty commiserated with Kima about how low and worthless D'Agostino made him feel when they had dinner together. Believeing it was over, he was surprised (and flattered) to get her call. But when he realized that she had called only because she needed information -- that, without that need, she wouldn't have thought twice about him -- you could see his interest evaporate. If he wanted to be "a player", he could have continued to play dumb and followed her upstairs. At their last dinner, McNulty saw himself through D'Agostino's eyes and didn't like it. At this dinner, he saw her -- just another operator in the machine that McNulty despises.

M.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Shanice,

I think what McNulty saw was that he was being played for an angle. He knew (and I think was resigned to) the relationship being just a sex thing, but once he saw her reaching out to use him for inside information, he realized he had to let it go.

As for Stringer, he cornered himself, both literally and figuratively. Although, were it me, I might of taken my chances leaping out of one of those windows...

RobertW

Supporting Actor
and it might be the first step in the transformation/redemption of mcnulty. in the past, he's had no qualms about bitching to whoever would listen all the problems and crap he saw going on within the department. it was always him alone(with a few other 'good police" like bunk and kima) who knew exactly what was going on, what needed to be done, and the best way to get it done. and he was never afraid of letting go a little inside info idf it would get the ball rolling the way he wanted to.

but here, he could see that all she wanted was the inside scuttlebutt about the amsterdam program, but for once, he kept quiet and didn't rat out department info. perhaps it was only his loyalty to colvin that caused him to keep what he knew to himself, but i'd like to think of it as something more. jimmy mcnulty finally realizing that a little cooperation and loyalty from him would come back to help him in the future. and that handshake with daniels looked as if it was a start to mending the rift between those two.

and boy, didn't avon just love telling stringer that the business problems he had with the state senator would have to be worked out in a business-like way, that he couldn't just go all street on him and whack him. this after weeks of hearing that same stuff from stringer about marlowe. he was enjoying that little payback.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Monday's New York Times had an interesting article on Idris Elba, who plays Stringer Bell. HBO's PR people must have been working overtime. Here's the link for anyone registered at the site:

Whacked! Another HBO Main Player Meets His End

It still cracks me up that McNulty and his archnemesis -- two guys from the streets of Baltimore -- are both played by Brits.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks