What's new

The winter problem (1 Viewer)

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I am hoping to get some suggestions for a problem I have in the winter time in my home theater.
My home theater is a 25x25room, half for the theater and half for a pool table.
It is in part of the basement of my home.
The other part of the basement houses our oil burner, which goes on frequently and loudly in the winter.
I have already added sound board to the wall to help knock down some of the noise but I am looking for other suggestions.
Is there some sort of quieting device I can use for the motor on the burner (which is the cause of the noise) to help reduce it?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Andy

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
My 1st thoought was to quiet the vibrations of the motor. If you have access to areas on it, you could try the Dynamat type products to stick on the unit itself. It helps cut down vibrations in car panels. Might work here too.
Best solution:
Any chance of enclosing it in a closet built around it? If you can that might be the best solution. Just make sure you don't close it so tight it starves for oxygen.
Hope that give you some good ideas.
-Rob

RichardJS

Grip
Do not underestimate the need to ensure proper ventilation for the furnace. A furnace starved for oxygen will generate carbon monoxide, which is a killer. Unfortunately to soundproof an area well generally means sealing it. If you do this, be sure to vent the area to somewhere else. I have seen systems which vent the furnace room outside, and use an electrical switch to open and close the vent when the furnace is on and off.
------------------

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I find the best way to cut out outside noise is to turn my system up louder....
biggrin.gif

------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks