The Windows VISTA Poll

Rob Gardiner

Cinematographer
Reaction score
I will wait until a must-have game that requires DirectX 10 (which is Vista-only) is released.

I predict that Will Wright's SPORE and Perpetual Entertainment's STAR TREK ONLINE will work just fine with DirectX 9 and Windows 2000.

RobertR

Executive Producer
Reaction score
All the DRM nonsense I've been reading about Vista makes me think I'll never bother with it. Can anyone tell me what the point is, given that my computer does what I want with XP and Firefox?

Dave Scarpa

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll be sticking with XP MCE for the Immediate Future, let them workout the inevitable Problems and Security issues

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
Robert - I think that is the point. There isn't any issue with DRM unless you want to do something that is illegal.
If I want to view a DVD on my PC, there won't be any problem unless I try to copy it over to my hard drive, which is what the studios don't want you to do!
Likewise with TV; if the studio/network/station decides that they don't want you to record it, even if it is just for viewing it later, they can do that. That happened to me with a few episodes of 'Veronica Mars.' Only they 'turned it on' halfway into the show and turned it off 5 or so minutes later.

Where the mess will be is when the stations start this up in full force, and don't tell us. Whatever show you expected to Tivo for later viewing just won't be there. Of course, this will result in a lot of really angry people calling the station up and complaining.

What I hope wil happen is that the DVR's will 'know' that you are trying to record something that has been flagged with DRM, and it will let you know that you can't record it before you pick that show, instead of finding out later.

On the PC side, this would only concern those with TV cards. Sooner or later, the software that is running the card won't work anymore, and when you upgrade it, it will install DRM if it isn't there already.

That's the way that I see it, for what it is worth.

Glenn

DeathStar1

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil

Which is one reason why I hope people start raising their voices now before it gets any worse. The pirates will still have a field day, and the average consumer will be screwed

There's only one or two shows I would watch anyway now...24 looks interesting, but have not gotten around to it yet...Smallville will be over in a few years, and a few animated programs.

Will_B

Producer
Reaction score

Since when has what companies "don't want you to do" been the same as laws?

(Oh yeah, since companies started writing our legislation, never mind.)

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
I fail to see why the software running the card (I have four running just fine under Windows2000) would ever stop working unless the card physically breaks or I install something that interferes, which would then be removed. As long as they build motherboards with PCI slots, I'm good to go.

If a tuner card and PVR software works correctly, you never upgrade drivers/applications. A software change is not going to add capabilities to the tuner. If it "ain't broke" don't "fix it", etc. As long as I do video capture and editing, I won't even touch XP.

All but one of my cards will even run under Win98. 98 just does a poor job of disk drive management, so I prefer 2000.

RobertR

Executive Producer
Reaction score
This casts severe doubt on the idea that the "only" problems will be caused by "illegal" activities, not to mention the fact that the definition of "illegal" is broadened so much.

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
Steve, I am going on the premise that your system is not isolated from the rest of the world. If your software interacts with other programs, then all of those programs have to work together. What if (and this is just an example), the next version of DirectX had a marker in it - where it will not work at all unless DRM is installed?
If a piece of you hardware breaks down and you can't get that make and model anymore, the replacement software could/wll probably have DRM install.

What I don't know is if the TV program itself will tell your software that it is marked and stop the whole process from there. The networks want to get control back over the airwaves.

I'm all for a protest. It would be great to get everyone not to watch any primetime network stations for one night. Crap, even one hour would do it. Can you see the ratings for 'LOST' being ZERO? They'd freak!

Maybe just the threat of a boycott would do it...

Glenn

DeathStar1

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil
I doubt a threat would do it. These companies have idiocy as a backbone and it probably won't scare 'em.

And Neilsons are so far behind the technology curve, they are not really reliable anyway. Only 10% of people in the nation even participate at any given time, don't they?

As soon as things get worse, I'm just going to cancel all but broadcast basic. Especially if Cartoon Network and GSN start streaming online
. I don't watch anything on Cable anymore except these two networks anyway. Weather can always be gotten online...news as well. The only thing I would miss are the Hi-Def movie channels.

Heh, I'm down the Shore on Vacation, and without my HTPC, as it's being rebuilt to new standards. I've been without TV for four days, and I hardly miss it now as is

Christ Reynolds

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
CJ
has any kind of boycott worked...ever? the idea is nice, but no kind of boycott is going to work against a company so large, if only for the simple fact that the majority of users wouldn't even know about said boycott.

CJ

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
A VISTA thread is probably not the place to go into great detail on HTPCs and tuner cards. Currently the "Broadcast Flag" is not in use so hardware does not have to respond to it. MCE versions of XP have been incorrectly flagging programs already but none of the software or drivers that ship with tuner cards will do so. HTPCs do tend to be somewhat isolated because the intense disk access and video rendering make it a little difficult to multitask or do general computing. The standards for broadcast and cable are pretty well established so equipment currently in use should not need many changes for many years. If they mandate hardware to comply with DRM, then most people would purchase parts prior to the change. Software is not a usefull method of enforcing DRM. That's why VISTA along with specific hardware will be required for cablecard tuners. The FCC's basic stance has always been that if you put something into the airwaves, then I am allowed to do anything I want with it as long as I don't redistribute it to others. Most DRM is based on ignoring this premise. Until they overturn the "BetaMax" ruling, we have some rights to record.

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
The original idea was that Vista was 'fixed' with DRM, but I don't see this as a Vista issue. (Call it a sub-hijack for a thread). Since Vista "Basic" doesn't have any video/audio software, I think that you wouldn't have a program of any kind for DRM included in it.

That Betamax ruling was more of a time-shift issue, rather than a recording issue. The networks could make the show available online, with a built in "destroy me in 2 days".

I don't expect any of this to happen until after the new broadcast frequencies are out and running. At that time, all of your VCR's and DVR's won't work, except through your cable company (and this is a maybe too, because they could require you to get a box, so you couldn't split an incoming signal). I'll bet you that all existing HDTV tuner cards for PC's have DRM!

Sorry about the world coming to and end!
Hey, I'll be getting screwed too, big time! There are going to be a lot of really pissed off people, especially those getting HDTV ready DVR's that think that this won't be a problem!

Glenn

Lee Scoggins

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
I don't see the big deal. First versions from Microsoft are always problematic.

Carl Johnson

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Carl III
I've been in the market for a computer for a while and I was debating which OS to get. After spending a few months researching the merits of XP vs Vista I voted for none of the above and bought a Mac

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
my dad bought a laptop with vista.
seems fine but since i'm his tech guy i have to help him with this.

i'm no tech guy though.
so i cant figure out how to turn off the auto magnifier and the keypad that pops
up everytime he turns on the laptop.

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
Try start/settings/control panel/ease of access center.

Anyone for a "How can I fix this in Vista" sticky?

Glenn

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
great idea glenn.

you know, i looked there but couldnt figure it out.
ill check again next time i'm over there

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
Yeah, they moved a lot of stuff to "new" sections. You might have to go through every item there to make sure that you clear it all out.

Sort of like rats at KFC's.

Glenn

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I hadn't planned on upgrading to Vista from XP Pro, but my computer took a crap, and I bought a new one from Dell (didn't feel like building my own this time around) with Vista Ultimate.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgasingh307