What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Taut, tense, and terrific, Ted Tetzlaff’s The Window is an unassuming little film noir that frays the nerves and chills the blood.

The Window (1949)

Released: 01 May 1949
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 73 min

Director: Ted Tetzlaff
Genre: Drama, Film-Noir, Thriller

Cast: Bobby Driscoll, Barbara Hale, Arthur Kennedy
Writer(s): Mel Dinelli, Cornell Woolrich

Plot: To avoid the heat of a sweltering summer night a 9-year-old Manhattan boy decides to sleep on the fire escape and witnesses a murder, but no one will believe him.

IMDB rating: 7.4
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Other
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1...

Continue reading...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This used to run on WOR-TV in New York periodically when I was growing up, and it imprinted itself in my memory forever back then. Good, suspenseful crime story with a young boy in peril, who of course I identified with, probably being around eight when I first saw it. Mesmerizing then, but still pretty potent. Have the WAC DVD and am really looking forward to the Blu-ray, which, according to a review here, is pretty damn fine. Another RKO favorite given a massive upgrade!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I just finished watching it. Gorgeous transfer - has never looked so good. Tetzlaff was coming off working with Hitchcock on Notorious, so he learned his lessons well, suspense-wise. This is the best of the few films he directed. His work as cameraman on Notorious, The Talk of the Town, The More the Merrier, I Married a Witch and others, was superb. This one's a winner and shows just how good a film could be made from a Woolrich story. For an example of the way to make a terrible film from a Woolrich story, look no further than another recent Archive release called I Wouldn't Be in Your Shoes - despite many people on this very forum who'd have you think it was some lost gem, it's really bad - terrible script, mediocre direction, lousy music, and as cheap as cheap can be. Like night and day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Like Dick, I was exposed to this movie as a kid watching it on WOR-TV in NYC. Just like "The Spiral Staircase" and "The Night of the Hunter", I found this movie creepy to watch as a young boy in the mid-1960's. A good movie and the WA Blu-ray is excellent.

I also watched "I Wouldn't Be in Your Shoes!" Blu-ray today. I thought the film was okay as a "B" movie from Monogram, but it's not on the same level as "The Window". The WA Blu-ray video presentation is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks