What's new

The Wind and the Lion (1 Viewer)

Rand

Supporting Actor
Of course I can enjoy this film any time by popping in my laser disc but I'd gladly replace it for an anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 sound disc.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
"Milius has the ability to describe the nobility of BOTH sides of a conflict. That's why his films are so great."
Precisely! Sadly, it's also why his films are not popular with Hollywood and the masses, as most only wish to recognize their limited point of view. :D
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, by the way. A letter writing campaign might be in order, although I doubt Milius has much clout with the studio executives.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
A superb movie, its a crime that so much crap is on dvd but not The Wind and the Lion.
I've had the fantastic Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack LP since the 70's and now have it on CD.
I would love to have this classic adventure on DVD with or without extras (commentary by Milius would be great though).:emoji_thumbsup:

Joel Turpin

Agent
Put me on the "buy-it-in-a-heartbeat" list.

Also quite excited that the quirky, same era Connery vehicle "Robin and Marian" is soon to be released...

Joel

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in!

I'm a HUGE fan of the madman Milius and like Milius, Teddy Roosevelt as well. So I'd like to see the Rough Riders mini-series he did as well.

BTW, count me in for a Flight Of The Intruder DVD so I can go "downtown!"

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've had the fantastic Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack LP since the 70's and now have it on CD.
Oh, Steve of the Greek heritage but still positively British, I love that Jerry goldsmith score. I too have the vinyl edition. Despite the gain riding and the spot microphoning, the sound is remarkably good. I love the main theme.

Again, wonderful, wonderful film. Why it isn't more popular is a mystery. But I have a theory: In 1975, U.S. film audiences were still caught up in "realism" cinema (Panic in Needle Park, Dog Day Afternoon). Adventure movies were not in vogue.

Of course, the Spielberg entry from that year ushered in, um, a sea change--for the worse, in my view. A byproduct of that sea change, however, was a return to adventure-oriented movies. Only audiences wanted their adventure dumbed down into live-action comic books.

Two years later, and a certain fantasy movie kind of cemented the change over.

The Wind and the Lion and The Man Who Would Be King were simply victims of bad timing. Had they been released ten years before or maybe even ten years later, they might have etched themselves into the public psyche.

Unfortunately, they are now the objects of the committed cinephile's eye. And that's it. Too bad. Way too bad.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm also anxiously anticipating the also very underrated Robin and Marian. Milius' Rough Riders and an improved version of Huston's The Man Who Would Be King would also be welcome,

The Wind and the Lion is certainly among Goldsmith's best scores, and possibly his very best. I'm truly glad this excellent film and its superb score have a following. Perhaps someone at MGM will see this thread (assuming they hold the rights).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Did we ever decide who owns the rights to W&L? My VHS box is labeled "MGM/UA". How does it go again, the UA titles are to be released (or more likely, not released) by Warners? :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Vintage MGM titles are now, unfortunately, under the control of Warner--including one of the greatest films ever made, something by a Stanley Kubrick.

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
TWATL can have the same effect on a viewer as the great David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia. It is a wonderful action adventure with some real notion of history, like the Lean epic. And it has heartfelt, tender moments that do not get maudlin or syrupy.
All tied together by the absolute genius of Jerry Goldsmith. It is another proof of his position as standard bearer in filmscore art. The widescreen LD and soundtrack CD are among my most treasured possessions.
A DVD issue with the score isolated...with Milius/Connery comentary, Goldsmith too, what a perfect way to cap a DVD collection.
CD soundtrack producer Doug Fake has astutely summarized this beautiful music:
"Rarely is a film score able to encompass such dimensions, from the incredible power and majesty of the main theme, the delicate transparency of the variations, through the warm feelings of love, and into the most ferocious action writing, all in one single score. It is a major score, full of complexities, layers of material, and wrapped in a cloak of almost overwhelming power. Just what you would expect from Jerry Goldsmith."
7005.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks