What's new

The Wind and the Lion (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I need to pay attention. One of my all time favorites has finally made it to DVD!. I see tonight Ron E. last weeks review of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir Which has set me off to beg Ron to use his influence to push for a transfer to DVD of a movie with a similar ‘feel’ and romance (though not so classically rendered as G&MM. The Wind and the Lion
I posted on G&Mrs Muir, once in HTF a long time ago recommending the guys rent it (the VHS) on a stormy Autumn night to watch with their significant others. I felt it was one of the ‘sexiest’ movies (without sex) I had ever seen. Mayhap due to my age when I first viewed it and how that viewing stuck with me.

In Ron’s review the last still, just under the title “Final thoughts” as Rex Harrison moves in on GT- to this day sends a shiver down my back. And when the Captain speaks his desire from the casement window in that same scene, I want to run away to the sea every time I hear it.

Someone asked for a similar recommend from that era. This one is not to the caliber of “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir” and filmed in 1975 color. But it has the SAME effect on me as "The Captain" so if you enjoyed the feel of TG&MM you might enjoy this one.

The “Wind and the Lion” including Brian Keith, who plays a whimsical and gruff interpretation of President Teddy Roosevelt. Keith in this role, physically and incrediably evocativly captures the look and manerism
as seen in old footage of the great "Outdoorsman" President. Sean Connery with Candice Bergen. It features one of my all time favorite ‘horse and rider shots’. And a score which did stay with me (as did the haunting score from G&MM) so that I can still hum its main refrain. Hokey but throat catching (at moments), Or it was when I was younger, and loosely based on a historical political kidnapping ‘incident’.

Adding two lines into my husbands and myself ‘quip’ dictionary:

"Gentlemen, I'd like to be alone with my bear." -- Theodore Roosevelt (BRIAN KEITH)
“Mrs. Pedecaris,…YOU …are a lot of trouble” -- The Raisuli (Shawn Connery).

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I reiterate: “I need to pay attention” :b

Whoops I need to learn to research SEARCH better, but could not find a thread on this when I first entered HTF!. (plus search is down due to server load whenever I go for it). Sooo excited to see G&MM available!

If Adm. wants to close this. I’ll paste to the other thread. Wonderful to see that others have my same deepest darkest desires! :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mary, we're glad to see you on the boat for this John Milius film. Several threads about have appeared over the years. And many pleas have been made in Studio Feedback to get Warner to commit this state-of-the-art adventure film to DVD. I've started a few of those threads, in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks