The "Will you buy the Reservoir Dogs 10th ann. DVD?" thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Man, I *was* gonna order the new "Reservoir Dogs" DVD the other day, the 'Mr. Blonde' cover (cuz he's the coolest.)

The darn thing would've shipped already but...I had to cancel it.

Sometimes reviews of DVD's vary from one site to the other but EVERY review mentions the bright, washed out transfer. Having seen the screen comparisons, I was too nervous to order it. I sure didn't wanna buy it in case it *was* a goof and Artisan re-releases a new one, then I'd have to exchange it and blah, too much hassle.

Could the transfer be an artistic choice? Well since Artisan or Tarantino have made no mention of it, nobody can know for sure.

Soooo I thought I'd call Artisan Entertainment to find out once and for all.

Their number: 310-449-9200

I ended up getting the run-a-round, from secretaries to customer service, etc. "Well, we just own the rights to it, we have nothing to do with the actual production of it." What malarky. Finally they put me through to someone (have no idea what position he holds) but he wasn't in so I left a message. I *strongly* encourage every HTF member to call Artisan and bring up their "Reservoir Dogs" DVD. They need to know how concerned we all are and maybe they'll get around to issuing a press release concerning the transfer.

I had bought the new "Pulp Fiction" & "Jackie Brown" discs and was REALLY wanting to complete the holy Tarantino trilogy with "..Dogs" but I just can't until I know what's what.

Is anyone buying the DVD regardless of it's problems? I know all those special features are really tempting (I came *this* close to buying it anyway.)

2. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

I was planning on purchasing a copy, since I never picked up the original DVD release. Unsure now...may just rent it instead.
    Too bad that Artisan dropped the ball on this one. [​IMG]

3. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Will I guy the new Reservoir Dogs SE? Yes, without hesitation. That one and Return of the Living Dead I'll pick up Tues morning and be a very happy person.

4. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I'm undecided. I don't see how a brand-new remastered 16:9 transfer could be worse than the at-least five-year old non-anamorphic transfer on the old DVD. I doubt I would be too disappointed with it, I'm afraid that I'll buy it and they release a new transfer or something after I bought it. Perhaps if no word comes from Artisan concerning a re-release I'll buy it, but for now I'm hanging on to my old disc (which sucks donkey compared to the new Pulp and Jackie Brown discs!! [​IMG]).

5. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

All I remember about this movie was a bunch of people lying on a floor dying. Bored me to tears. No, I won't buy it.

6. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

It's on its way [​IMG].
    If I really think the colors are 'wrong' when I see it, I can always sell or trade it without much loss. So I really don't see much risk in buying it.

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

what the heck, I have ordered mine anyway
    [​IMG]

8. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

When Obi posted the 3 comparison pictures on the AVS in this thread, i responded with the quoted post below:

9. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't sure if I was going to buy it before I read some of the reviews and I'm still not sure whether I will. Maybe if I saw it fot the right price.

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

For me, Rolling Stones > Reservoir Dogs
    So I'll concentrate my funds there.

11. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

I have to say that the reviews made me reconsider picking this up. I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but with the transfer being as washed out as it is, and with the limited budget of a grad student contributing heavily, I think I'm going to have to pass on this one for the time being. If Artisan does "correct" this pressing of the disc (and if indeed it can be classified as a mistake), I'll more than likely pick it up sometime down the road when I've got a little more cash. I still need to pick up the "Jackie Brown" disc as it is (and about fifteen other discs on my want list).
    So, more or less, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach, dictated by current finances. [​IMG]

12. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

I've ordered it - it'll probably ship on Monday from CDNow. I also asked Harry Knowles to ask QT about the transfer while he's on the Kill Bill set in China.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13082
    (check out the talkback)

13. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Yes! Mr Pink is on the way from DVD Empire. BTW Jackie Brown SE was excellent.

I never picked up the first Res Dogs, so I'm not gonna miss out again!

Pilp Fiction SE next week.

Can't wait for Dawn of the Dead SE next summer!

14. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I might purchase it eventually but I am in wait and see mode now. I am holding off until I am sure that a new pressing and corrected disc don't come along in a few months.

-Keith

15. KimK

KimK Stunt Coordinator

My copy is also on its way (Mr. Pink Cover). I read the reviews but decided that I wanted to check it out for myself.

16. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Yes, I've ordered the Mr Pink cover from CD-Wow (I couldn't care less that Mr Brown is limited - it's a ghastly colour and Tarantino's smug grin is not a pretty sight).

I think the transfer's going to be a lot better than we all imagine. To me, the muted look sounds entirely appropriate and exactly like what I remember from seeing it at the cinema. If the colours are too bright and the blacks deep, it will look far too pretty, and not as grimy and industrial as I remember it.

17. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I will have to hold off on this one. There are just too many negative reviews about the transfer to warrant a purchase. And Artisan should not benefit from releasing a sub par DVD transfer. From the screen shots I have seen, the previous non-anamorphic DVD looks quite a bit better than the new release!

18. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    My local Sam Goody set aside a Mr. Brown cover for me. Cant wait for tuesday!

19. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Jussi, I e-mailed Harry Knowles about this as well... when the reviews and comparisons first popped up. No response, but hopefully he'll comment when he gets back. And here's hoping he didn't have to fly southwest.

20. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

According to Artisan, it stands by the picture quality of the new Reservoir Dogs SE. There will be no recall because, the studio says, nothing is wrong. The executive I talked to expressed the wish that people would actually see for themselves rather than going by what others say. Regarding the more-open framing, the previous DVD was cropped on all sides, he said. The new DVD restores the film to its original framing as shown in theaters. I'll have a more-detailed account in Tuesday's newspaper.