What's new

THE WILD BUNCH on DVD (MERGED THREAD including current disc and possible SE) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As Richard stated, the current release is non-anamorphic and a flipper (i.e. the film is split across both sides of the disc). The current transfer is not bad, considering the above limitations. However, this is one of my favorite westerns, so I'm hoping this classic gets revisited soon.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As Richard stated, the current release is non-anamorphic and a flipper (i.e. the film is split across both sides of the disc). The current transfer is not bad, considering the above limitations. However, this is one of my favorite westerns, so I'm hoping this classic gets revisited soon.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On this side of the pond, it is anamorphic at least, but it's a flipper and the transfer, while not bad, could do with a little cleaning. Warners are alledgedly working on a Peckinpah box and if this doesn't get the two-disc SE treatment I'll eat my stetson.

One of the best westerns - one of the best films - ever made IMHO.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On this side of the pond, it is anamorphic at least, but it's a flipper and the transfer, while not bad, could do with a little cleaning. Warners are alledgedly working on a Peckinpah box and if this doesn't get the two-disc SE treatment I'll eat my stetson.

One of the best westerns - one of the best films - ever made IMHO.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yup, watched WB just this weekend.Love this film too.

A 16x9 version cant come soon enough.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yup, watched WB just this weekend.Love this film too.

A 16x9 version cant come soon enough.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If you love The Wild Bunch and have the DVD - sell it. If you haven't bought it yet - DON'T!

2-Disc SE by this time next year.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If you love The Wild Bunch and have the DVD - sell it. If you haven't bought it yet - DON'T!

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Although the details of the new dvd are great, I think KenRen is more interested in his cuurent disc, and if his picture appears screwed up chances are it's affecting any non-anamorphic dvd's he may watch - and possibly others...first question to ascertain the correct answer - is your tv/projector etc a 16:9 or 4:3 model..?

M

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Although the details of the new dvd are great, I think KenRen is more interested in his cuurent disc, and if his picture appears screwed up chances are it's affecting any non-anamorphic dvd's he may watch - and possibly others...first question to ascertain the correct answer - is your tv/projector etc a 16:9 or 4:3 model..?

M

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member

That's sound advice, but I'd hate for someone who'd never seen this masterpiece to wait. The version available now looks quite good, though non-anamorphic, and is available real cheap... like for only a bit more than a Blockbuster rental. I you've never seen this film, you're missing out on one of the great American films ever made!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member

That's sound advice, but I'd hate for someone who'd never seen this masterpiece to wait. The version available now looks quite good, though non-anamorphic, and is available real cheap... like for only a bit more than a Blockbuster rental. I you've never seen this film, you're missing out on one of the great American films ever made!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So has there been any updates on the proposed Special Edition of possibly my favorite movie of all time from Warner Bros?

It's been a long time since the rumors started surfacing, it'd be nice to have a solid date to look forward to... Is this still coming out this year, what happened to early 2005?

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
From someone I know on the other side of the map, it's coming somewhere around summer - two DVDs, and a lot of extras, including some never-before-seen outtakes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Warner never stated during our chat that it was coming out this year or early 2005. What they said, is that a SE is in the works for a release in 2005.

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Odds are that this will appear in the Peckinpah box set (supposedly in the works). I'd lay money on Warner releasing this (if all is ready) in May-June since this seems to be the traditional calender time to release catalog Westerns. I don't know why, Father's Day maybe?

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I can only say that I have it on good authority from a pal on the west coast that the set will be out by summer (the Peckinpah box) and that everyone who loves Wild Bunch will be dancing in the streets. New transfer, loads of extras. I cannot wait - not only for The Wild Bunch, but for Ride the High Country, one of my favorite films of all-time.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Best news yet...STARZ/ENCORE made a magificent feature length bio-doc about Peckinpah earlier this year, and I am told that WB purchased the home video rights as a centerpiece or the 2nd disc for their upcoming 2 disc version of THE WILD BUNCH. It will also have that WB-made "featurette" about the making of the film that got an Oscar nom nearly ten years ago, but which has never been on DVD, just on VHS.

What a great item to look forward to!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks