What's new

The Wicker Man - running time confusion??? (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
Hi!

I'm interested in buying the DVD of The Wicker Man but I'm rather confused about the running time. According to the Leonard Maltin Guide (and other sources), the original running time is 103 minutes, and the Guide advises one to avoid the 88 and 95 minute versions.

Anchor Bay's Limited Edition contains the original theatrical version (88 minutes) and an extended version (99 minutes). From what I've read, AB's release is essentially the definitive DVD release, yet it does not contain the 103 minute version.

Does anyone know if such a version exists and if it will be turning up on DVD? I'd hate to spring for the LE and then find out that there is a longer version on its way.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The Wicker Man can never be restored beyond the two AB versions, since the original 368 cans of raw location footage had been destroyed (according to the famous rumour it was used as landfill in England's M3 motorway; more likely it was thrown away as a standard review-of-holdings procedure)

The various versions of The Wicker Man

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the shorter version played better, very sensibly cutting information that is damaging to the drama near the beginning

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Very interesting articles you guys linked to, if a bit confusing to me because of who said or did what to the prints, and even contradicted theirselves.

Anyway, I do prefer the shorter theatrical cut, more suspenseful and enigmatic to me, because the reasons for some events are just not accounted for. The extended cut does that pretty well, but IMO the theatrical cut should be viewed once or twice before the extended cut. This is one of those times where IMO the extended cut detracts from the film's aura. Of course, from past discussion of this, I know it's kinda even as to which cut members prefer, but I have no problem with a film ending with no answers, something to think and talk about.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
There's a listing on Amazon for a seperate release of the extended cut of Wicker Man, with a MSRP of $14.98 and a street date of 9-14-04.

Hopefully, it will include the Edward Woodward/Christopher Lee/Robin Hardy commentary track for the UK release. (Which was, I believe, recorded after the R1 Anchor Bay release.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks