What's new

The Wicker Man observations (spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i am still in the minority here....i think the theatrical cut is much better. i think the setup back at the police station and the reinforcement of Howie's religious belief's is a little much - i like getting to learn his true nature gradually. It makes his personality quirks that reveal themselves on the island much more fun.

i guess if i had to keep one scene from the extended cut it would be the "gently johnny" scene...

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
one more thing:

while watching the theatrical cut last night, i noticed a strange hiccup on my panasonic rp91. in the shot that pans and tilts across the pictures of the harvest festivals (about 15 minutes into the movie) my player freezes for a second, exactly like it does during layer switches. But it seems an odd place for a layer switch - anyone else see this pause? it was 100% repeatable.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sorry to go off on this tangent, but I'm wondering how the DVDs are packaged within the wooden box. Are there keepcases inside or just cardboard sleeves or something?

I'll probably get it anyway, but I'm not crazy about novelty packaging.

Thanks.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
There's a plastic insert inside the box that holds the DVD's, which are jewel-cased. There is also a dearth of documentation that fits right on top of the discs. It's kinda hokey once you open the box, but it's effective.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The DVD's are packaged in a transparent double jewel (cd-like) case. Just like other Anchor Bay Tin Sets, like Hellraiser and Evil Dead 2.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks guys. If I can find a double keepcase, I may just use that cover art. :)

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
You can order many different types of cases from;
www.inetdvd.com
The prices for the cases are nice,
but the shipping can add up.
I don't know what the shipping
would be to Canada?
You could call 651-735-2262

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'd already seen and liked this movie, but confess that it was the packaging that was the deciding factor in buying this!

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i confirmed that the "hiccup" i'm seeing is the layer change, which is very early in the film at 13:00 and VERY distracting! it's right in the middle of a moving shot! my player (rp91) isn't the best at layer switches but this was pretty jarring.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You can print out a cover from www.dvdcoverart.com that simulates the wooden box.
And it looks really nice too. Very good scan.
I've made a double-alpha case version of the image (had to made it a little wider) and added my own edition number onto the back. I must say, I'm very impressed with how it's come out. I ran the image through Paint Shop, added some sharpness, smoothed it out a tad and it's printed beautifully on Epson Premium Photo paper.
I've got the file in Publisher (.pub) format if anyone wants a copy. Drop me a mail, let me know what your edition number is and I'll mail you the file back.
(sorry to wander off-topic a bit)
Rob

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I discovered The Wicker Man a few months ago and bought the limited edition. I watched the theatrical version first and then the extended version. I personally prefer the theatrical version as it seems tighter, better paced, and doesn't reveal quite so much. More isn't always better, and, in my opinion, the extended version mostly presents footage that hinders rather than helps the film. Still, it's nice to have both versions.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
As I mentioned previously, I was exposed to the original, longer European cut first. Many of you are saying you appreciate the shorter cut because of pacing, but I think it has more to do with the version you are used to seeing, and the longer version doesn't hold the mystique. Let's compare this scenario to a few other films that have had various versions available:

1 - Dances With Wolves

This film was released in North Americain the 3-hour version, and went to home video the same way for many years. When the previously unseen European cut was coming, with almost another hour of footage, laserphiles snapped this up in droves. When the North American came out on DVD, there were cries of "Where's the 4-hour version??" (And now MGM is working to bring the 4-hour version to DVD)

2 - The Wild Bunch

Restored to its original length after many years, the original video release was missing about 20 minutes of footage, restoring a handful of scenes. Thanks to laserdisc and DVD, this is what we are seeing today.

3 - The Abyss

When James Cameron revisted this film, having to compromise the original release due to the dreaded "2 shows a night, 135 minute running time", the restored subplot and completed tidalwave sequence changed the arc of the story where the aliens were concerned. A better film now.

4 - Brazil

What if Terry Gilliam lost and we got Sid Sheinberg's Brazil in North America?

5 - Terminator 2

Another Cameron film. The few minutes that are added don't necessarily advance the plot, but give you a different view of Dyson as a family man driven by the need to perfect the chip, and the T-1000 has more footage as it learns from it's evironment (Max the dog, scanning the bedroom).

6 - Independence Day

Does the extra footage do anything to either provide character development or advance the plot?

7 - Star Trek II:TWOK

Everybody wants to see the TV footage (Peter Preston) put in the new edition. This was inserted to make the film fit better for broadcast purposes.

8 - The Lawnmower Man

On laserdisc, this film got considerably lengthened in a special edition. On DVD, all the extra footage was taken out and put into a supplementary section.

9 - Blazing Saddles

Several gags from the cutting room floor were included to pad out the movie for a two-hour TV block. Some are hilarious (Bart's tricks to get rid of Mongo, Bart & The Wako Kid escape the mob in their Klan outfits and blend in with an outdoor baptism, and the "Gov" (Brooks) talking with a dummy on the street of the fake Rock Ridge).

10 - Apocalypse Now

Apocalypse Now is really like an extended episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus. The French Plantation is just another sketch.

Many people want to see the longer cuts so they know what they're missing when they only know one version. I again say (in my own view) that the original European cut of The Wicker Man is better, because it fleshes out characters better in the same way that Dances With Wolves, Brazil and The Wild Bunch are better served in their long form. A longer cut (be it original or revised) is better if the additional footage doesn't darw attention to itself by either being too frivoulous or by not serving to advance the characters or the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks