What's new

The Who's "Tommy" in 5.1 -- DVD-A or SACD (or both)? (1 Viewer)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Pete Townshend's site had a diary posting last week indicating that the artist has become quite a fan of multi-channel surround thanks to DVD. He gives a thumbs-up to the restored DVD release of Ken Russell's film version of Tommy (I do too) and also made a surprising comment: that he's currently working on a 5.1 re-mix of The Who's seminal rock opera recording of Tommy.

No definite release date or format was listed, but the article is an interesting read for what can be read between the lines. Townshend goes on at great length about how much DVD has made him appreciate the possibilities of multi-channel mixes. He also points out the extra capabilities (video content, etc.) in DVD-A and speaks of how easy it is to output music at the 192Khz level.

But while it would seem from the tone of the posting that a DVD-A release is a slam dunk, Townshend doesn't rule out a SACD release. Could it be that Tommy will actually be released by Universal in both SACD and DVD-A versions? Sounds to me like we could see the start of dual releases: a "bare bones" SACD disc (hybrid to maximize sales potential through regular CD purchasers), and a "deluxe collector's edition" DVD-A with supplemental material.

Here's the link to the diary entry (click on "27 Mar 2003 Scarlatti"): http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary...cfm?zone=diary

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this will be one of Universal's first DVD-A? I don't think Universal will do releases of the same title on both formats at this point, but you never know.

If he is mixing in 192kHz PCM, thats how I want the material presented. No PCM to DSD for me please.

J

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen

You know Justin, I think that could be cool - then we finally can see why universalplayer are waste of money. :D

DVD Auido will show the way! :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Townshend loves audio/video multimedia stuff. Just listen to "Psychoderelict" or watch the fantastic "Pete Townshend Live" video (a fantastic LD) with that story in total.

DVD-A is a natural for a Townshend project. But I'd buy either version.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
But Pete Townshend is not personally doing the remixing, is he? I mean, bad idea generally IMO, but especially if one, you know, doesn't exactly hear so good.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Okayyyyy....

The diary post on Townshend's site regarding m/c audio and his mention of the Tommy 5.1 remix has been... deleted.

Makes me wonder if some corporate honcho with nothing better to do asked Townshend to remove the article because nothing official has been announced, re Tommy.

And yes, I seem to recall that Townshend said or implied that he himself was doing the m/c mix.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting news Alan. I guess Pete let the cat out of the bag a bit too soon.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks