What's new

The Who (1 Viewer)

JoeJohnson

Auditioning
A few great Who items I found online:

The Who are back with their first new songs since the 1982 album "It's Hard.” The two new songs on the upcoming best-of collection “Then and Now- 1964-2004” are titled "Real Good Looking Boy" and "Old Red Wine.” If you’re a huge fan like me, it will be great to hear some newly recorded stuff. The cd comes out March 30.

Pete Townshend wrote on his official web site that he and vocalist Roger Daltrey recorded "Real Good Looking Boy" with assistance from drummer Zak Starkey, keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick, bassist Greg Lake and Townshend's brother Simon.

The Who will play "Tommy" live March 29 at London's Royal Albert Hall, as part of a benefit concert series for the Teenage Cancer Trust. The group is also confirmed to play March 22 and 24-25 at the London Forum and to co-headline the U.K.'s Isle of Wight Festival in June.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I personally think it's good news they are continuing to try to do "Who" stuff even without Keith and John.

I watched the newly remastered Kids are Alright DVD last weekend. For about 100 minutes, I was as close to heaven as you can get on earth.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
same here. i had never seen it before, i was blown away. you guys think they will release that benefit version of tommy on dvd/cd? check out this article on rolling stone, eddie vedder talks about the new songs.

CJ

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't paid too much attention to them since Keith died, so what's that, 25 years now. I always believed they should have broken up the band like Zeppelin did when Bonzo died. I was a real big Who fan saw them three times, '71,72, and the last time was '75 in MSG. But after Keith died I thought they would do the right thing but I was wrong. I think if they did give it up as the Who they would have attained the same status that Zeppelin still gets.(Don't get me wrong I liked them better than Zep, and I saw Zep in '70 and '71)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Those 'shot for the movie' tracks on TKAA are outstanding. Baba O' just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. And the studio scene for Who Are You with Keith messing around is just priceless. For me, TKAA really captures the spirit of the old Who.

It's a close call to me but The Who is my favorite artist. I've spent countless hours trying to emulate Pete on guitar.

N

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I also go back and forth over whether they should have called it quits in '79. (I saw them on the Who are You tour. Incredible.)

But. I also really like It's Hard, so I'm glad they did continue.

Neil- I got Young Man Blues from Live at Leeds down pretty good myself. :) ('79 Cherry Sunburst Les Paul.)

Pete was never the best guitarist out there, but man, did (does) he ever play with *soul*.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Hey there KCB!

If this is what I think you are talking about, I spun a side of this on my Rega P2 TT last night. A two LP set, the LP jackets are printed like film reels, and there is a great LP sized booklet.

And its in mint condition.

Take that, Cee-Dee!

BGL

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Kevin, '99 Standard Strat myself :b (but I have put in Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups) plus an Ovation acoustic. Les Paul hopefully sometime this year if I could just get these darn bills paid off.

I have mastered about 25% of the Live at Leeds album. Man I love that stuff. I totally agree that Townshend is not the best guitarist out there but he is the king of power chords IMHO. Plus we have him to thank for the 100watt Marshalls ...

Rock on Pete and Roger and RIP Keith and John...

N

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for TKAA LP record double set with book. Absolutely fantastic "LP Experience", and great music. Mine's in mint condition also.

Dan B

Screenwriter
The new Who tunes are available for download now on iTunes:
EDIT: They are no longer available until the end of the month apparently...

"Old Red Wine" & "Real Good Looking Boy" from the upcoming Then & Now album.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks