What's new

The Who Tommy/Quadrophenia Live 3 DVD Set (1 Viewer)

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
I got this yesterday and watched all of Quad and some of Tommy.

I just have one question for anyone else who got this. Is the white bullseye that flashes behind the picture every four or five seconds intentional? Why did they do this? I've never seen anything like it before. I noticed it on Quad and thought it was on purpose because that was the logo on the box for that concert. But why is it also on the Tommy Disc?

Am I losing my mind or is this really happening?

Dan

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The only time I see the white bullseye is when I press enter to toggle the video commentary on & off (and yes, it's on both disks). Otherwise it's not there.

Sounds like you may have a player incompatability with the way they've authored the disks for the video commentary.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
there is a note about player incompatibility with hitting the enter button to get the video commentary. it seems the incompatibility is 'resolved' if you choose video commentary from the menu.

i just started the tommy disc, i could have done without the large white text explaining the background ot the story :angry:

CJ

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
I have no trouble on my Liteon player at home but PowerDVD on two separate PC's has audio-sync issues with the discs and the picture seems to jitter every 10 seconds or so... I haven't checked out the Quad disc yet so that's a bummer that it's not 16x9 -- we are in 2005 right?

Still, I've got a well-used VHS copy of this and saw the Tommy show at the Albert Hall in London so I've been waiting for this for ages.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Philip, I too, have the Tommy LD. Did you purchase the DVD? If so, how does it compare to the sound of the LD. I think the LD sounds great but am tempted to get this DVD if the sound does it justice. If anyone has the Tommy LD, please do a comparison and post your thoughts. Thanks.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just got my review copy, and will try to have something up this weekend. Yes, I had the laserdisc, but two copies rotted away.

First impressions echo Craig's. I am really surprised that Quadrophenia is not enhanced for 16x9 televisions, especially since the commentary is included in the picture, and not in the 4x3 part of the frame.

Same as the laserdisc... similar to the B'way show...

- Steve

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's 2005 now, but this concert is from 1996: are the original elements anamorphic? Without knowing the details of the source it's unfair to slag Rhino for this technical detail.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm sorry to hear those who have rotted LDs of the Tommy concert. Fortunately, mine is still in pristine shape and you all have the new DVD.

Having loved the LD for many years and listened to it quite often, I had to get the newly released DVD. While not an official HTF review, I would like to give my thoughts.

This "review" covers the Tommy concert and not Quadraphenia, as I have not watched it yet (nor commentaries).

Video

The video is full frame. The quality of the video is good. Flesh tones are realistic, blacks good and no bleeding colors. Definitely not reference but adequate. When compared to the LD, the picture quality is marginally better on the DVD. Slightly more color noise on the LD, but not distracting. It actually looks rather excellent on the LD so not surprised by the comparison here.

Sound

Well the 5.1 mix is close to excellent. On my system, it was a solid wall of sound coming at me. The bass that many are commenting on is not strong in the sense of a sub-woofer thump or work-out but I still hear the notes being played by Entwistle. I would say a "C.H." stronger on the bass if I was to nitpick but the overall mix is faithful to the original stereo mix as far as the blending of the intruments. I had this puppy cranked close to concert levels in my house. Man it was cool.

Comparison to LD.

While it is inappropriate to compare the 5.1 mix to the LD, I did compare the 2.0 stereo mix. For this comparison, I used a direct stereo signal from both players to amp, feeding a pair of Infinity tower speakers. No sub-woofer (the towers have their own). I used the track Behind Blue Eyes for comparison.

DVD.

Stereo imaging was very good. Daltry's voice was front and center, very clear. As was Townsend's guitar playing on the right. Curiously absent was indeed Entwistle's bass. I didn't even really hear any notes. In addition, the sound stage was limited. Another words closing my eyes gave me good stereo imaging but the "stage" was narrow, limited to the width of my speakers. But again, very clear (what I did hear).

LD.

Again stereo imaging good, not quite the clarity of the DVD (surprising for me) but the difference is marginal. However two things:

1. the sound stage was far more open, extending out side the speakers. This gave it a more "live" feel to it.
2. I could hear Entwistle plucking those strings. Again, not a thumping bass of any sort but the clarity of his playing was there.

Final thoughts.

I loved the Tommy LD so for me, the purchase of the DVD was well worth it just for that. Well, I get SO much more with this DVD, that it became a no brainer for me.

I did see the Who right after Keith Moon died with the new dummer (stepped in a few years later, name escapes me ... Kenny... ?). It was good but you could tell that they were all not quite there yet. The next time I saw them was the same tour as the Tommy DVD minus the special guest stars as they were only performing in a couple of select cities. Well the DVD does capture the show and sound very well.

If you like the Who, this is worthy of the collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks