The Who , Tommy DVD-A won't playd on Pioneer 563A

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by James W. Johnson, Apr 26, 2004.

1. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I have heard that certain DVD-As won't play in the Pioneer 563A player , I just received my Tommy DVD-A and it won't play. This is the first one I have encountered , is their anything I can do?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

There are various threads all over the web indicating that there is an update to the player. What I read said you need to send it in, but they can fix it.

You just need to call Pioneer to make the arrangements....assuming everything I have read elsewhere is not BS.

BGL

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

You got it already??? HOW? What's on it that's not on the SACD?

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
  5. Larry Geller

Yeah, I know. My CC had GBYBR, which I got, but no Tommy.[​IMG]

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    The gbybr in DVD-A is the better bargain, feature-wise (soundwise, each will have to judge for himself). I saw the SACD in two releases, with and w/o DVD documentary. W/documentary 10$ more. DVD-A includes the documentary at same price as SACD w/o documentary. I wonder if that's how DVD-A intends to establish itself, by including extras at a lower price than SACD packages. It has the video advantage for this. Will they exploit it or will they do what Warner's did with Fleetwood Mac's Say You Will, where the redbook cd release had more bonuses than the DVD-A? Still got the DVD-A, as sound is more important to me than bonues. But still.

7. Larry Geller

Not true. I paid $28.99 for GBYBR yesterday. A few weeks ago, I could have gotten the 3 SACD set at Best Buy for $19.99. Now, My Generation is cheaper than the redbook Deluxe Edition, but, because of the forced buying of the DVD, it doesn't hold for GBYBR.[​IMG]

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    I think this has more to do with Universal's incomprehensible double-dipping than any broad, say, DVD-Audio Council strategy to establish the format.

-p

9. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Larry,

I was only going by the one store I was in this morning. Obviously, I have to become a better shopper.:b

Paul,

If others follow with Universal's double-dipping, then I guess I won't need a universal player after all. Eh, who knows, it'll all be back on vinyl anyway, so I guess I'd better get a turntable while I'm at it.

10. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Don't hold your breath. It's been about 4 years. Of the majors, it is highly unlikely that the 'Sony camp' is going to support DVD-A. It is highly unlikely that the 'Warner camp' is going to support SACD.

-p

11. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I know, just wishful thinking (wanting to avoid switch boxes for multichannel inputs). I guess I'll just ride the hi-res ride as long as it lasts.

12. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Surprised the firmware upgrade got mentioned in this mainstream, local paper:

http://www.ctnow.com/technology/hc-h...,611510.column

Except for the addition of the video interview of Townshend, the DVD-A's contents are identical to the SACD, yes?

Also, haven't gone to store to see this title's packaging yet. Is it in a doublewide Super Jewel?

-p

13. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Btw, is $24.99 at BB the least expensive that ya'll have seen the Tommy DVD-A sell for?

-p