What's new

The White Van Man had commeth (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
This is actually too funny in a way. I used to work for a company that made sound reinforcement equipment. We supplied some of the top clubs, arenas and acts with full systems. Speakers, amps processors and eq’s.

Our factory was in a non marked building in an industrial area. Was not marked because of what we did build and just did not wish to invite potential trouble.

We had a “White Van” pull into the back parking area one day during a break time when everyone was standing around outside. One of the guys in the van gets out and walked over to a small group of us and starts the pitch. “ hey we got some extra speakers from the factory, they shipped us a bunch of extras and the boss says he don’t want them and gave them to us, well we don’t need them you want some speakers cheap”

A few of the people go look at them, and tell them no, don’t want them. They have better speakers. One of the guys gets real obnoxious and starts the hey these are $800.00 each speakers for $200.00 bucks a pair thing, just as the guy we used for custom painting shows up with a truck load of cabinets. So this dude tries to pitch the painter, he looks at us and starts laughing. We opened the roll up door and start unloading the cabinets.

The van disappeared.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
So, lets say tat someone gets approached by these people..

What should you do? Is there any way to help with the investigation of the ripoffs? Dial 911 with your cell phone, and then do your best, by feigning interest in their product, to keep the white van people in the area??

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure anything they're doing is illegal. Isn't it really just sales puffery, which IS entirely legal.

DanaA

Screenwriter
It may be commiting fraud in some states to represent that the speakers are so cheap due to the fact that the owner of the company overordered speakers or whatever and they're just trying to get rid of them for way less than they're worth. Not sure, but it would definitely seem to be misrepresenting things.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Unless you are best friends with the chief of police & golfing partners with the local D.A. ain't nothin gonna happen.

Curt Gilker

Agent
Many municipalities require "vendors" to be licensed to sell goods. I would wager the "White Van" scammers are not, so a call to your local constabulary is appropriate.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Well, in the Washington DC area, white vans are not looked upon very well right now, so if one approaches, RUN the other way.

Much worse than speaker scams.

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ned,

I have a pair of the floor standing nuances which I use as rear surrounds to my Tannoy D700's. With my HK320 they actually did a better job of it than the bose polk and infinity IL 40's which I had in to compare them to. The imaging is decent and tone isn't bad. They told me the speakers were 2500 at first, and they're not worth it. I got them for 1200 and setup properly they don't sound as bad as you might think. And yes I knew they wouldn't project a full surround sound from two speakers when I bought them but they do Hi Fi well enough. Just make sure you don't pay any more than half of what they tell you that they're worth. I went in recently though and they don't sound nearly as good as my older model. I was kind of shocked, plus they really disproportioned with the powered subwoofer version (I don't have the powered woofer). They really sharpened up when I went from my HK to my MF gear, base became much tighter.

In any case my point being in the end they get a ton of negative publicity but without a doubt they sounded better than the similarly priced $1450 bose. don't buy too much into the hype positive or negative.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Here's one for you. I found a jerk selling those White Van speakers at a "discount" on a non-HT forum. I really want to say something, but I'm not sure. He hasn't made any claims about the speaker, except that the "MSRP" is $1499, and he wants $700 a pair.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard of that brand, either, but those sure look a lot nicer than the white van speakers that my roommate in college got stuck with a few years back. His speakers were huge square carpeted boxes, looked like DJ speakers with big 15" woofers in them. I have to admit, the speakers in your link look kinda nice. :)
Aaron

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Good job on calling this guy out John. I'm glad you weren't going to sit by and watch someone get hosed. I hope you posted enough various threads to ward off anyone who was even thinking about buying these things. I do agree with Aaron on their apperance though. For white van they look fairly decent. But now that I think about a little more, I don't buy speakers to look good :D.
Chris S.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I admit I have never heard of the "world renowned" Dogg Digital speakers. Weird that a White Van speaker has such an elaborate website. I am lost.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
"dogg digital" actualy has a web page: http://www.doggdigitalaudio.com
. but there are some strange things about the specs. 2 8" woofers and only 50hz extension? , only 107 max dB with a large array of drivers. and look at the disclaimer at the bottom :/ i would never consider these thats for sure.
i just saw this on their page.
"buy now and save 50% off retail price." and the fine print says *$300 handling fee.
hah.
$1.449.00 each
Front Woofer Driver: 4 x 5" Aluminized cones
Side Woofer Driver: 8" Aluminized cone
Tweeter Driver: 1 Silk eye fiber cone
Frequency Response: 50-20 kHz (+3 db)
Biwirable: Yes
Sensitivity: 88 db, 1w, 1m
Impedance: 8 ohms
Power Handling: 20-250 watts program each
MAX- SPL: 107 db
Cabinet Design: Bass Reflex
Dimension: 42.5" x 7" x 15"
Weight Each: 40 lbs.
Finish (Imported MDF wood): Silver wood, Natural Oak, Walnut and Black Oak
Digital:Custom Crossover Circuitry
Specifications are subject to change without notice. Model number and manufacturer's suggested prices do not represent a bonafide selling price in the metro trading area.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
[sarcasm]Yea it really ticks me off when I go to Best Buy and the specs on their speakers change all the time. [/sarcasm] Heck, with that disclaimer they should be posting much better specs. What a load...

Chris S.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Can a White Van salesman be arrested for selling speakers out of a van?
Since the speakers are not stolen (the seller just acts like these speakers fell off a truck), is it a crime or just Buyer Beware?

If you want to sell me a car thats worth $1000 for $5K and I pay it, am I just a fool or a crime victim?

Kan Kana

Auditioning
Wow, I was approached by one of those “white van guys” a few days ago while leaving a blockbuster. I actually took a look at what he was selling. I never heard of the brand so he showed my some BS ad. Right away I knew the ad was fake because of the quality of print. I work as a system admin for a copy & Communications Company and we run thousands of prints. The ad print he showed me was made on some low quality ink jet printer. No company that sells speakers worth over $1000 would print their ads on a home ink jet printer. Anyways, the box he showed me was much too small for the size of the speakers on the ad.

Good thing I didn't fall for this scam.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
With a website, can they be tracked down? I smell a sting. What a load of crap though. Those speakers look finished too. They look manufactered. How could you afford to do that, and make em crappy? If you go through the trouble to make em look good, thats weird. Crooks I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks