What's new

The Wheel Of Time (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Great series, I just started it and am on book 2. Love the Tolkien type stuff. Anyone else a fan of this series?
-Tom

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
They only get better, the last one so far was a bit of a shocker. (no spoilers here ). You'll love the rest of them. Have you read any of Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series? Also an excellent read. As good, (but in a different way) as WOT.
------------------
Objective C, the OTHER object oriented language...

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Wow, what a coincidence! I also just finished the first book and am about 100 pages into the second book, The Great Hunt. This series is absolutely fantastic. Jordan's narrative skills are just about the best I've seen in quite some time.
They only get better
That's what I've heard from just about everyone who's read all the books released so far. It's kind of hard to believe after how amazing Eye of the World was.
------------------
Digital Hoard

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
I would say the first five or so books are truly excellent. However, with the last two or three books, the series has really gotten derailed. I have actually _stopped_ reading the series because there is just no end in sight for it. I mean I really cared about those characters but I can't bring myself to keep reading the books. It seems that Jordan now writes 1000 pages and doesn't say a thing.
Actually he usually says a WHOLE LOT about women readjusting their shawls, sniffing in disdain, and giving cold glares to one another. :)
My friend who introduced me to WoT feels the same way. Luckily, he also introduced me to the George RR Martin books (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords) which are most EXCELLENT.
------------------
----------
Tony Paris
[Edited last by Tony_P on August 14, 2001 at 10:06 PM]

Joe D

Supporting Actor
George. R. Martin is a hell of an author, I recommend his books.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I just wish Jordan would just finally end the series... or at leasy have something actually happen for once! As for Goodkind's SoT series, the 1rst 2 books were pretty good. Then it just got ugly in a hurry... few too many similarities between his series and Jordan's. And you can pretty much tell what the plot will be for each book... Richard and Kahlan get seperated...both wonder if the other loves them etc etc... then they beat the bad guy with some new power or ability... boooooring !
For SF and Fantasy fans, check out this forum :
http://www.sffworld.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I liked the first few WOT books. Around the 5th or 6th book I got tired of Rand's whining and denial and never finished it.
I like Goodkind, but I agree that the kahlan/richard separation is getting old.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Julie K

Screenwriter
I too read and loved the series up to about book 5. I read a couple after that, closed the book, and never read another. I don't know whether it was because the pace slowed to a glacial flow, or whether a sudden introduction of new characters felt far too much like padding. Or maybe I read "she crossed her arms under her breast and sniffed" one too many times and just cracked.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
Tom
Great series of books. Perhaps they were slowing a bit, but the last one got things back on track. Aside from the Lord of the Rings and Dune, this is the only fantasy series I've been able to get into. I certainly put Jordan up there with Tolkien and Herbert. In fact, I read the last couple of the Dune series more out of completion's sake than interest, as they got serioulsy boring. And I don't mind that Jordan's books are around 1000 pages and he still has a few more to go...it gives me something to look forward to every year and a half or so. Enjoy.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Joe_C: hehe I'm only about 100 pages ahead of you, let's race!
Anyways, I'm liking this series though the first book was a little tainted for me because I've already got most of the books after it and I accidentally glanced at the back of book 3 and it said Spoiler:Rand Al'Thor is The Dragon Reborn (I get free books from the place I work). This ticked me off, but that secret is pretty much out of the bag by the end of book one anyways.
-Tom

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Foundation said:
How far are you now?
smile.gif
I hate it when major events in great books are spoiled like that. Not knowing that particular spoiler made the first book that much better IMO.
------------------
www.DigitalHoard.com
Petition: get Family Guy released on DVD!

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
I am a huge fan of WOT. Book 10 is expected out sometime in 2002. Its so depressing having to wait two years at a time for the next installment of the series. A great website for the series is www.wotmania.com. But don't check out the site until you finish Winter's Heart, because there are LOTS of spoilers, mostly by people discussing the book, making theories, etc.
In the meantime I have been reading the George RR Martin books (about midway through A Clash of Kings) and The Lord of the Rings. Martin's books are VERY different than Jordan's, but are a nice change.
------------------
My DVD's

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Shouldn't this be posted in the Book forum?
wink.gif

------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I would also strongly recommend Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen". Tale number one is "Garden of the Moon" and tale number two is "Deadhouse Gates". Part three has not been released yet. He is a Canadian, now residing in England. I think his writing is as good as George R.R. Martin (and he does not kill off major characters just as you are starting to like them!).
Chris

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I too started and eventually became frustrated with the WOT. George R. Martin's books are the best fantasy I've read in a long time. If you haven't picked up Game of Thrones, you are missing out!
Also, there is a young adults series His Dark Materials which is fantastic. The first book is called The Golden Compass. It's quite amazing.
-Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks