What's new

The "What Are You Reading" Thread! (1 Viewer)

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I'm currently re-reading "Shark Trouble" by Peter Benchley, the author of Jaws . A very readable and conversational set of stories and information about sharks.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am just finishing up If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell.... it was a VERY interestings look into the people that you never hear about in movie-making, the people who aren't making $20 million per picture. It was about the people who are just barely making it because they love what they do.
I have just started Lullaby by Chuck Palahiuk.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Ooh! I'm first to post:
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Just finished it, and it's amazing. This could be a really good movie. If you like any of Gibson's stuff, you'll like this.

I'm rereading Heinlein's To Sail Beyond the Sunset. If you know Heinlein, you know it's good. It's semi-autobiographical, while revisiting much of the future history universe. Interesting, since it was his last book before he passed away, you get the sense that he might have know it was his last. Really good.

I want to read the Silmarillon soon, but I might wait on it for a while...

Suze Orman's 9 steps to financial freedom and
Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad I feel are must-reads given that we weren't taught anything about money in our schools... These books help tremendously in increasing your financial IQ. I'm just starting to get this stuff now. I very highly recommend them to all of you. Same goes for all their other books, esp. The Courage to Be Rich and The Rich Dad's guide to investing.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Since I had some time to kill over the holidays, I finally got to catch up on some reading over the last two weeks.

"Cruel Shoes" by Steve Martin. An easy read, and one of my favorite books ever. I try to read it once a year.
"Neuromancer" by William Gibson. Actually the first time I've ever read it. Pretty good science-fiction fantasy, for which I'm a sucker. Speaking of that...
"Dragons of a Fallen Sun" and "Dragons of a Lost Star", the first two parts of the War of Souls trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Not nearly as good as the original Dragonlance trilogy, but better than the substitute Dragonlance writers.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Right now I'm reading 'Domain' by Steve Alten. It's a fictional novel about the Mayan calendar and it's prediction of humanity's doom on December 21, 2012.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Postwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card (for the 3rd time or so)

Legacy by R.A. Salvatore for the umpteenth gazillion time or so.

Haven't read a new book since I finished Sharon Shin's Angel-Sci Fi books a few days ago..

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I have to get in line with the Snow Crash supporters. It's one of the books that got me back into reading again after a long hiatus.

This week, I finished Tom Clancy's Without Remorse and started on Stupid White Men by Michael Moore. Weird mix, I know. :p)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
For the best few days I've been busily devouring Tony Kornheiser's I'm Back For More Cash . What a great writer!!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Currently reading the following (which of these four is not like the others?)

*Black Coffee Blues, Henry Rollins
*The Fermata, Nicholson Baker
*Tropic of Cancer, Henry Miller
*Beavis and Butthead Ensucklopedia, Mike Judge et al.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I am currently reading Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Just like the movie, I think it is overrrated. It is very boring in spots. :b I hope I don't get flamed. ;)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Snow Crash is great.

I've been re-reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time in over ten years. I've read it many times before and have a nice hard cover edition that I bought new in 1978...

I've also been reading a short story collection calledWorlds vast and various by Gregory Benford, good hard sci-fi stuff, I hadn't read anything before now.

I've also recently been reading the Hornblower books as a O'Brian substitute. I've read O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series maybe 4 times and early indications have the upcoming Far Side of the World movie being a substantially less than Fellowship of the Ring-quality adaptation of the book, so rather than spoil any hope of liking the movie I'm resisting re-re-re-re-reading those wonderful books!

Scott W.

Second Unit
I just started reading the Godfather. I also am in the middle of reading a Bio 20/ 30 text book from school (I love Bio).

Scott

Halfway through The Hobbit, just read The Book of Lies by Aliester Crowley. I plan on reading all the the LOTR books, just got the book set for christmas.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Too many too list right now.. but here are a few:
First of all, I got more than halfway through Dhalgren by Samuel Delany and at certain points was almost breathlessly transfixed by the book (stayed up really late reading it, especially in the book's first two large sections). But eventually I lost all patience with it. It's very episodic (without really strong plot or character arcs) and after a while all the language began to become conspicuously "tactile" and repetitive ("he did this.. then he did this. then he hooked his thumb under his belt.. then he walked left..").. I admire its craft and the fact of being lost in the novel reflects the characters being lost in the city (etc.etc. and so on), but I just couldn't do the palindromic kaleidiscope thing any more.
The Professor and the Madman (Simon Winchester), about the creation of the OED (fantastic).. captivating true story of the relationship between the first editor of the OED and the insane murderer who was one of its greatest contributors...
The complete Ripley novels (Patricia Highsmith) .. still think the first is the best, with the third book, Ripley's Game, coming in second..
Carter Beats the Devil (Glen David Gold) - inventive and well-written novel based on real characters, set in early twentieth-century America and featuring magicians, presidents, and government agents... I can't recommend this book more highly. it's really fun.
Fermat's Enigma: The Epic Quest to Solve the World's Greatest Mathematical Problem (Simon Singh): this is a great little book exploring the world of mathematics, written for those who aren't even particularly talented with numbers (me me).. really compelling story.
An Anthropologist on Mars (Oliver Sacks): my favorite Sacks book. sad, illuminating, inspiring (in the literal sense of the word, not the movie blurb sense) stories about people with really bizarre brain conditions (a painter losing the ability to see color).. it's in the vein of The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (which I also recommend).
too late for any others!!
steve

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
Several Books from the "Star Wars: The New Jedi Order" family of books

Just finished:
Dark Journey
Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream

Reading:
Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm reading several books now, but I have to mention the one with the best title ever:
The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore.
Steve the Sea Beast comes ashore in an eccentric little California coastal town looking for a little love and food. Much weirdness and hilarity follow. This is one of those rare books that you can't read in public because you find yourself laughing all the way through it.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Reading a Lovecraft compilation (on Lurking Fear right now) and recently finished Run by Douglas Winter. He has an excellent writing style, and it had an exception first 2/3rds, but fell to pieces at the end.
Also count me in as a Snow Crash and general Stephenson fan. Gave Cryptonomicon as a gift this Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks