What's new

Pre-Order The Whales of August (1987) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
141470_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Ordered; I have not had the opportunity to revisit this fine film for many years and I look forward to its release.
Lindsay Anderson was, in my opinion, and I found all of his films of interest.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I watched it about a year ago for the first time since seeing it in the theater, and having so much more appreciation now for those on the screen, I was blown away by it.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I've tried to watch weak quality TV showings of this film, so I'm excited about this release.
Will really be watching the full film for the first time.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
From all accounts, Ms. Davis went out of her way to be unpleasant to Ms. Gish. Fortunately, the unhappiness on
the set didn't creep into the movie itself. Very much looking forward to seeing this again, and on Blu-Ray!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Terrific and endearing film that I've watched several times over the years. Waiting anxiously on reviews of this to see if this is a high quality transfer and if SDH are included.

Kino is hit and miss with their releases and hopefully this will be a hit. If so, I will add it to my library.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I am really eager to see this again! I was a 23 year old movie buff when I first saw it opening weekend in Manhattan; I could hardly wait to see it at the time. I even remember seeing the Coming Attractions for this film at a theater on the Upper East Side before it opened.

As I said I knew all about it but the older audience I guess was not so aware. When the trailer ended and the narrator identified the woman in the scenes with Davis and Gish as "and starring "Ann Sothern" , the entire Upper East Side audience gasped and shrieked simultaneously.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Kino Lorber Studio Classics Releases
The Whales of August, A Film by Lindsay Anderson
Starring Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Vincent Price and Ann Sothern

Available on Blu-ray and DVD December 19th
Packed with Special Features Including Audio Commentary, Interviews, and More

ffa20915-4d68-47e9-ac45-5b386addfd67.jpg

"...one of the most magnificent cinema experiences set to celluloid. ...Very Highly Recommended" -- Robert Harris, Home Theater Forum

New York, NY - December 7, 2017 - Kino Lorber Studio Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray and DVD release of Lindsay Anderson's film The Whales of August (1987), starring screen legends Bette Davis and Lillian Gish, in their only film together, as aging sisters coming to terms with life, love, and death while vacationing at their seaside cottage in Maine. The film also stars Vincent Price and Ann Sothern, with Harry Carey Jr., Mary Steenburgen, Margaret Ladd and Tisha Sterling.

The Whales of August is set to street on Blu-ray and DVD December 19, with a SRP of $29.95 for the Blu-ray and $19.95 for the DVD. Special features include audio commentary by producer Mike Kaplan, moderated by film critic Stephen Farber, Peer Talk: The Raw September 1986 Interviews with stars Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Vincent Price, Ann Sothern and Harry Carey Jr., Behind the Camera: Raw September 1986 Interviews with director Lindsay Anderson, cinematographer Mike Fash, and production designer Jocelyn Herbert, interview with actress Mary Steenburgen, interview with actress Margaret Ladd, interview with actress Tisha Sterling, Interview with executive producer Shep Gordon, Three Vignettes -- Mike Kaplan on: Bette Davis, The Cab, Cliff Island, Never Apologize -- Malcolm McDowell on Lindsay Anderson, "You Can Never Tell," performed by Tisha Sterling and written by Mike Kaplan, and "Five Whales Tales", a booklet of informative essays by Mike Kaplan.

Screen legends Bette Davis (All About Eve), Lillian Gish (The Night of the Hunter), and Vincent Price (The Pit and the Pendulum) unite their iconic talents in this beautifully photographed, intensely emotional drama that offers unexpected and quite marvelous rewards. Libby (Davis) and Sarah (Gish) are widowed siblings who have vacationed for half a century at a seaside cottage in Maine. Now in their eighties, the sisters have unexpectedly arrived at an impasse: while Sarah embraces change and the possibility of romance with a courtly Russian suitor (Price), the stubbornly bitter Libby rages at the inevitability of death. As the summer months wane, can Libby and Sarah rediscover the powerful bonds of memory, family and love?

The stellar cast includes Ann Sothern (A Letter to Three Wives) in her Oscar®-nominated performance, Harry Carey Jr. (Three Godfathers), Mary Steenburgen (Melvin and Howard), Margaret Ladd (TV's Falcon Crest), and Tisha Sterling (Coogan's Bluff). The Whales of August features a wonderful screenplay by Obie award-winning playwright David Berry (G.R. Point) based on his play, and top-notch direction by the great Lindsay Anderson (This Sporting Life, O Lucky Man!, If...).

The Whales of August received three Independent Spirit Award nominations including Best Actress (Lillian Gish), Best Supporting Actor (Vincent Price), and Best Supporting Actress (Ann Sothern). Gish won the Best Actress award from the National Board of Review. The film had a royal world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in the presence of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

The Whales of August (1987)
Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: December 19, 2017
Blu-ray SRP: $29.95
DVD SRP: $19.95

Director: Lindsay Anderson
Produced by Carolyn Pfeiffer and Mike Kaplan
Screenplay by David Berry, based on his play

Starring: Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Vincent Price and Ann Sothern

Technical Specs:
1987 | Color | 90 minutes | 1.85:1 | 1920x1080p | Not Rated | English subtitles

Special Features:
Audio Commentary by producer Mike Kaplan, moderated by film critic Stephen Farber
Peer Talk: The Raw September 1986 Interviews with stars Bette Davis, Lillian Gish,
Vincent Price, Ann Sothern and Harry Carey Jr.
Behind the Camera: Raw September 1986 Interviews with director Lindsay Anderson, cinematographer Mike Fash, and production designer Jocelyn Herbert
Interview with actress Mary Steenburgen
Interview with actress Margaret Ladd
Interview with actress Tisha Sterling
Interview with executive producer Shep Gordon
Three Vignettes -- Mike Kaplan on: Bette Davis, The Cab, Cliff Island
Never Apologize -- Malcolm McDowell on Lindsay Anderson
"You Can Never Tell," performed by Tisha Sterling and written by Mike Kaplan
"Five Whales Tales", a booklet of informative essays by Mike Kaplan

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Congrats to Mr. Harris for getting his comments in the press release.

I am going to order this blindly. Sounds like a winner.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this Blu-ray this afternoon. What a beautiful transfer! The transition from sepia at the beginning to full color is AMAZING, and Maine has never looked so storybook perfect in a film. I hadn't seen the movie since its theatrical release, but I did not remember the color being so vibrant.

I really liked the movie when I saw it in the theater, but thirty years later has given it even greater depth of meaning for me as a much older person now, and it's a real marvel in its meditation on old age.

And the disc is blessed with a wealth of bonus material which adds greatly to the entertainment value of the disc.

A complete winner, Kino! Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks