The West Wing Special Episode on Tragedy Being Rushed to Production

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Word today that series creator Aaron Sorkin is writing and rushing to production an epsiode that responds to the tragedies on 9/11. Though the dates listed in the report don't seem to gel (the season premiere is 9/26, not 10/3) I'm sure it will be airing sometime in the next two weeks. Here's a link to the story.
    ------------------
    --Mike
    Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Just so long as he doesn't try to concoct his own "neat" solution for the situation.
    CW

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Sorkin has done a wonderful job writing for his show so I don't see him even trying to attempt to give us a boxed answer in the special episode.
    It appears that NBC is showing a re-run this week instead of the season premiere as it was originally scheduled.
    Therefore this special episode will air 10/3 and the original season premiere will air 10/10.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

4. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

It seems to me unless they're donating profits to charity, all they are doing is profiting off of the tragedy. Not exactly commendable.
    But before I criticize, I don't know if they are doing that or not [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------------------

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Yes, I think they are pushing the premiere out further so they can get this episode in before it.
    ------------------
    Michael Alletto
    Mike's DVD List
    Alletto.com

6. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

How can they squeeze a new episode in front of the resolution to a cliff-hanger? Are they afraid we'll have forgotten about 9/11 by 10/10? Won't it screw up the continuity of every episode they've already shot?
    ------------------
    Brad Grenz
    intelligenTV
    the Widgets
    [Edited last by Brad Grenz on September 24, 2001 at 04:27 PM]

7. clemente

clemente Agent

Nope, it'll be a stand alone episode.

8. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Indeed it will be, clemente. I just hope they give a time frame of when it happened in the show time line

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I don't know. My only complaint about this is basically last seasons WW. WW's first season was well acted, interesting and fairly well researched. Very few "serious" research fallacies occurred.
    Last year, however, the WW had more research fallacies then most shows, and they weren't complex answers, they were just poorly researched ones. Sorkin has, since this happened, acknowledged this, and as we all know, went through rehab, which may help correct this and may explain why these errors occurred last year.
    I can hope that that is the case. I think the WW is a well acted, interesting program that at moments is amongst the best TV on the air. However, if the WW still has some of the research flaws it had last year, I'm going to be nervous. This show, which seems (and is) rushed to get out of the gate in being written, shot, and edited is going to be a real "proving ground" for the what's going to happen and how well they can hold up their summer offer to "do better fact checking". Because here they are going to have lots of potential outlets for "facts" and "arguments" and a lot of it will need to be diligently factchecked in a short period of time between the final script and shooting. Because they have to realize this year, it won't just be news outlets poking fun when they make bonehead errors about statistics, etc... if the same kind of errors occur in this program, a huge number of people will notice and complain.
    I'm very interested to see how it comes out. I'm really rooting for the WW to return to a program I can disagree with - but at least know that the research is fairly accurate [​IMG]
    CW

10. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

I don't think the season premiere was really going to be a direct follower to the previous finale. I know there was a lot of discussion of it back in May, but I think the big "cliffhanger" question was answered without words, and we won't need to go back to the press conference to pick up exactly where we left off.
    The episode that was originally planned as the season premiere (originally set to air 9/19, then 9/26 as the season got bumped) is entitled "Manchester," which leads me to believe that it is actually set several months after the press conference at the end of last season's "Two Cathedrals," with the Bartlet 2002 campaign in full swing and warming up the New Hampshire voters. If that's the case (and it's just conjecture on my part), then they should be able to put "Isaac and Ishmael" (reportedly the title of the new episode) in between with minimal trouble. Then maybe a couple of scene reshoots in the three or four episodes they've already filmed, and, voila! Continuity.
    Personally, I think it's a good idea to address the terrorism issues that have been brought to the front of the national attention lately. I imagine a lot of people would have a hard time maintaining the same enthusiasm for the show as in previous seasons if the show's President and staff weren't living in pretty much the same America that we are. While the show is set in an alternate universe (one in which presidents are elected in Winter Olympic years), it has always presented a general climate of modern-day Washington (with the exception, since the last real-life election, of the party affiliation of the President), with many of the same issues (campaign finance reform, gun control, Big Tobacco lawsuits) that have faced our real government. To watch these machinations go on as if the country--and the world--haven't changed would possibly make the show less, I don't know, engrossing, I guess.
    Of course, I could be completely wrong, and we could see a terrorist-themed episode next week, and then return to a dripping-wet Jed at the podium two weeks from now. I guess we'll have to wait and see.