The West Wing Season 5!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ElijahS, Aug 30, 2005.

1. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

2. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

Yeah, I'm really excited. Spring/Summer hasn't been a great time for dvd releases that I wanted, but the fall and early winter is going to be damn good.

3. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

My sentiments exactly!

While this is the weakest season of the show, it's still a hell of a lot better than almost anything else on television.

4. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

It also gives me a reason to watch the last two episodes of season 4. I don't like waiting for cliffhangers and didn't watch on TV so when it arrives I'll start watching season 5 by watching the season 4 cliffhanger.

5. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I was just wondering this morning when this was going to be released (as I just found out today that it's leaving syndication next month), then tonight TVShowsonDVD posted the story. Good timing, Gord. [​IMG]

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Glad to hear it! I figured with all the annoucements Warner was making last week, it wouldn't be long til the WW announcement. The cliffhanger to S4 has me antsy for this release, but I guess I have to wait another three months. Thanks to Gord for the news!

7. MichaelColvin

MichaelColvin Stunt Coordinator

I'm probably one of the biggest WW fans around, and I'll be first in line to get this. While I agree that S5 is the weakest of the seasons, it has the wonderful Deborah Cahn written episode "The Supremes" with Glenn Close guest starring. That alone makes the season worth getting. Trust me.

The season took a good half year to recover from not having Sorkin/Schalamme around, and the stories were "bigger" than they needed to be to overcompensate. They got their rhythm back, luckily, and I thought that S6 was very strong. (it's not season 2, but still very good!)

I am hoping for a commentary on Supremes, Access and on Gaza/Memorial Day

cheers, Michael

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Really looking forward to this one. Even though I can probably guess how the cliffhanger turns out (after all, it's not Oz), I'm still really interested in anything that fills the West Wing fix. Only problem with rediscovering this show on DVD is that it's really not condusive to catching up with the current season on TV. After all-watching season 6 (or the upcoming 7) would probably spoil what I've missed in 5, right?

But, keep bringing on the DVDs, and I'll keep buying em!

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I am also a huge WW fan, but have only purchased Seasons 1 and 2 so far. Since it is shown on Bravo, I haven't felt an urgency to buy all the seasons yet.

10. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

December 6th, rats. I wanted to buy this for my girlfriend's birthday in November. But I'm glad its coming anyways.

11. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

12. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
  13. MichaelColvin

I can't hardly believe it. John Spencer was phenomenal in this role and he will be missed. It's heart-breaking.

I will spin a disc of "Bartlet for America" tonight in his honor.

- Michael

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I doubt I'll ever be able to watch the episode where Leo suffers a heart attack again. It'll be too tough to see John's excellent and realistic portrayal of that moment.

Just four days shy of his 59th birthday....how truly sad. He was a heck of an actor (as all those Emmy wins and nominations suggest).

John will be sorely missed. God bless him.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. MichaelColvin

While giving my favorite Leo moments a spin, I came upon the following moment that I just love from Leo. Thought that I would share:

"This guy's walking down a street, when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep. He can't get out. A doctor passes by, and the guy shouts up 'Hey you! Can you help me out?' The doctor writes him a prescription, throws it down the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up 'Father, I'm down in this hole, can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by. 'Hey Joe, it's me, can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole! Our guy says 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here!' and the friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before, and I know the way out.' As long as I got a job, you got a job, you understand?"

- From The West Wing, "Noël"

16. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Excellent example Michael (among many great "Leo McGarry moments").

One of my all-time faves is when he confronts a military, stuffed-shirt bigwig in the White House Situation Room (can't recall who exactly it was), and Leo blows his stack at the guy. Absolutely fantastic scene, and superb acting (I have to replay it at least three times whenever watching it)......

Leo's quote (not verbatim; but close enough):

"I don't give a DAMN what you want!! The President wants to know if he takes action, how many are gonna die! And by the time he gets an answer from you, DAYS have gone by!!"

At the end of this confrontation, the military bigshot tells Leo to "Go to hell" ... followed immediately by a curt, sharp, sarcastic "Okay!!!" by Leo. Then Leo angrily throws some books down hard on the table, spilling a glass of water. It's one of THE greatest scenes in West Wing history (IMO), and (no surprise) it involved Mr. Spencer. Man, he was good.

17. MichaelColvin

Another fab Leo line, in the middle of the epic season 2 final arc, that just gets me every time:

"We're not gonna stop, soften, detour, postpone, circumvent, obfuscate, or trade a single one of our goals to allow for whatever extracurricular nonsense is coming our way in the next few days, weeks, and months."

- From The West Wing, "18th and Potomac"

And of course, the entire episode of "Bartlet For America" from Season 3. That emmy award was never more deserved.

- Michael

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

19. Ben King

Ben King Stunt Coordinator

Season 7 has been announced for release in the UK (Region 2) on 11th September.