What's new

The West Wing 04/03/02 (1 Viewer)

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
For a few episodes, it seemed like Sorkinwas wandering offf a bit.. as well as getting a bit preachy.

BUT, I thought las tnight's episode was great.

Those four words the president wrote on the paper were wonderful.

The storyline with Donna ended spectacularly as well.

Can't wait for the DVDs for this series.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I thought it was the best episode in awhile. I am always impressd by the quality of the writing on that show. The bits with the President and Leo trying to take Charlie's tax money from him were hilarious :)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I also liked the bit when Charlie inititally thought he was going to get money back and buying a DVD player with the refund.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This episode was cowritten with someone else. Usually Sorkin does it all by himself. Dunno who did which parts, though.
I like the thing with Donna's teacher, but Bartlett seemed just a bit too jokey -- not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was different.
Also, the four words didn't really explain why he wants to stick with Hoynes, except as a statement of trust. I was expecting something more specific.
In other news :) Link Removed; it seems to me that having the President, in this case a complex and extremely well-educated man, also be deeply religious, even as he wrestles with it from time to time, is a good thing for the portrayal of religion.
//Ken

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
This is a series that I will own on DVD when it comes out. I have not been disappointed with a single episode. I just hope they start releasing it sooner than later.

Parker

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Agreed, Parker. And last night's episode was a high point of the series, although the show with the escalation of practical jokes was also good. :)
- Steve

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Unfortunately for me I didn't start watching this show till this season... DVD sounds awesome but hell I would settle for syndication... any word on tnt or someone buying up the rights to run the re runs?

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Unfortunately for me I didn't start watching this show till this season... DVD sounds awesome but hell I would settle for syndication
Damn, then you missed that first season's Christmas episode that is one of the finest single hours of TV I've seen. Always leaves me with a lump in my throat. Liked it so much that I recorded it and transferred it to DVD so I wouldn't have to worry about generational loss from repeated viewings. :D
Wonder if Mary Louise-Parker is scheduled to make a few more appearances. I like the witty repartee between her character and Josh.
Count this as a first day purchase for me when this makes its way to DVD.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Indeed, another great episode.

About the four words -- the staff was worried about the political angles of who to put on the ticket, but Bartlett reminded them what the VP is there for (not just votes). Because Bartlett respects him deeply, Hoynes is the person he'd want to be President in the event of his death (MS-related or otherwise). What else needs to be said? After the nice buildup, I agree, it was wonderful.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Interesting column in today's Slate.com http://slate.msn.com//?id=2063235:
...And indeed, the online fan base does occasionally have a direct effect on the show, in the convention known as the "shout-out": a character named after an online poster, a playful reference to an Internet joke, or occasionally, a direct satire of the online herd. ("Worst! Episode! Ever!") The most startling such shout-out occurred just last week, when Aaron Sorkin, The West Wing creator who sparred with posters on Television Without Pity (back when it was called "mighty big tv"), struck back at his tormentors by enlisting them in a subplot on his show. When White House Deputy Chief of Staff Josh Lyman discovers a critical Web site devoted to him, he becomes tangled in its byzantine internal politics, then (like Sorkin) sees one of his posts end up in the newspapers. Lyman's special tormentor, the moderator of the site, is portrayed as a muumuu-clad, chain-smoking dictator - a nasty slap at Sorkin's own nemesis at Television Without Pity. The majority of the site's posters were amused, but a few took umbrage. "Glark" (the technical director of TWP) responded online: "If 'we' at TWOP are the TV critic terrorists and we've gotten under his skin enough that he's changing the way he writes and shoe-horning these plots into the show, then--ladies and gentlemen--the terrorists have already won."

Tim Travis

Agent
How long till they start showing them in sindication. I am in the same boat as josh. This is the first season I have seen. I never miss an episode now, and it has become one of my favorite shows (along with the sopranos).

Tim

David Dennison

Second Unit
Another great episode indeed! I think this is consistently the best show on (network) tv. I don't think I have missed an episode since the series began.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This my favorite show on network TV, now. I even watch the reruns. This is the only show I do that for. I agree with Michael, that the first season's Christmas episode is one of the best shows ever written.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Doesn't a show have to have 100 episodes before it can go on syndication? This being the third season of "The West Wing" I'd say they're up to sixty-something. If the premise is correct, then it should be two more years before Bravo can start airing reruns.

I started watching at the start of season two, right after the shooting cliffhanger. I missed all of season one, so I wish the reruns would start sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks