What's new

The Well-Recorded Piano (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Based on the recommendation of a friend, I bought Hiromi's Brain (Decca) CD (also available as an SACD). She's a young, inventive, dextrous pianist who plays an interesting combination of jazz (good) and new age (not my thing), mostly acoustic but with electronic flourishes (also not particularly my thing).

Only the more traditional numbers really grabbed me. But, the recording of her piano is masterful, perhaps the finest example of recorded acoustic piano I've heard in a long while.

I've been playing the piano for 30 years, and I'd like to think I can recognize a special piano recording, although I'm not an engineer. I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I love the piano sound on Mapleshade Records. It is warm and natural, very woody. Perhaps a better-qualified person than me can explain how they achieve that sound, but when I'm in the mood for a piano 'in my home,' I play something by Larry Willis or the Gerard D'Angelo Trio. Tremendous stuff if you're into 3-piece acoustic jazz.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have the SA-CD of Brain and I can't get it out of my head. I like this album. I'm not so high on the electronics myself. I think she's trying for the Return To Forever sound on the 2 cuts with prominent electronics. I think it's one of the better new jazz albums of the year myself.:emoji_thumbsup:

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I have a cd by a artist whose name is Michael Kaeshammer "No Strings Attached" put out by Alma Records, everything from Boogie Woogie to Rags to Jazz and Pop, a fantastic recording by a very unknown paino player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks