What's new

The Weird Al Show (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Will this show ever see the light of day? Does anyone even remember it? I do and I would enjoy seeing a few episodes from it again, if not the whole thing.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Weird Al show only had a 13 episode run, and I remember them all because Al rulez the world and stuff. I'd keep an eye out on Weird Al.com for word of any possible DVD release although nothing is currently in the works that I know of.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Al is one of my favorite musicians of all time. He's right after the Beatles for me. I watched this show every single week and really wish I had thought to tape it.

I would definitely buy a DVD set. Even if they just released a handful of episodes, I'd buy that (though I'd love a series set with commentary--I was upset that The Ultimate Video Collection didn't have any).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It sucked that CBS decided to cancel its entire Saturday morning lineup. This show rocked, and I don't think its ratings were so bad.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Seeing this show the first time it aired, I knew to tape copy because I liked it, but doubted it would last. It is fun to go back and watch some of the shows over again. It came off as a replacement to Pee Wees Playhouse, but thought it appealed to a wider audience.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
It's strange how Weird Al has such a huge and devoted following, and yet ratings never seem to reflect it.

I listened to the commentary on the DVD release of UHF, and he took a REAL beating from the critics over that movie. It did not do well at the box office, and yet, for years, before the DVD release, it was practically the Holy Grail of something to have on VHS. It has a cult following close to that of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I regularly see his tours described as "money pits", and yet, when he came to the Puyallup fair in September 2004, it was practically standing room only, and everyone there was in the palm of his hand, even through some of his less popular songs.

Now the news that he had a TV show, and it was canceled after 13 episodes.

What's wrong with this picture?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I love it when he reads quotes from reviews of his movie.

I've never heard his tours described as money pits, but in general his albums sell pretty well considering the type of genre he's working in. I think he probably does alright considering his at least to my knowledge lack of radio play. You don't here a lot of Al on the radio at least around here.

As for his show getting canceled as mentioned earlier in the thread, it wasn't just his show that got the axe, CBS took it to the entire Saturday morning lineup. Good ratings, bad ratings they up and canceled the whole thing.

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator
Weird Al is a favorite of mine, and my whole family! I'm definitely rooting for a DVD release of his shows and bits. (Especially the ones he played for this latest tour!)

I own all of Al's albums and videos and saw the Poodle Hat tour twice in my town (almost 3 times, he was here 3x within one year!). Not to mention, I saw him wayyyyyyyy back in 1989 as a wee lassie when he opened for The Monkees comeback tour ;).He really is very talented and the incredible array of fans at his concerts shows his wide appeal.

Yay! Weird Al!!!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I think the problem with most Al stuff is most people are ashamed to say they like him. People know his music, but right it off as stupid and childish. But he has devoted fans and gets good album sales. I personally think he is hilarious and a genius(which he is certifiably a genius I believe) and have no shame in saying publicly that I own most of his albums.

"Since Youve Been Gone" is just comedic genius. The ultimate break up song in my opinion.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
aww... I will never forget it.

Taco Bell had just came up with this brand new thing called a "Gor-di-ta..." mmm... say it with me "Gor-di-ta..." anyways, there were three different kinds, and I tried each of them while watching Weird Al... It was a beautiful time in my life. Also, the toned-down Ninja Turtles Season 10 was right before Al, so it was definately a fun time for me. I would pick up the DVD in a heart-beat.

Ryan

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I also have never fully understood how magazines and media say he is a flop when he has such a HUGE following. I adore him. I don't own all his albums, but I would gladly purchase the tv show if it ever came on dvd. He is definitely a genius and one that I hope remains around for a long time.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
He is also a genius in france apparently:)

He is getting more and more famous by the hour. He is stuffed with pastries and drunk with power.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
At the time CBS put the Weird Al Show on the air, Al was more popular than he'd ever been. If I recall correctly, the CD that came out the year before, "Bad Hair Day" sold more than any of his previous albums, even in the "Eat It" heyday.

I'd be happy to see a DVD release of the show, and the way things are in this marketplace, it should be seriously considered. It would appeal to kids and adults.

Greg Method

Auditioning
I came upon this thread a bit late, but I just wanted to add that you can write to Dick Clark Productions to tell them you want to see "The Weird Al Show" on DVD:

Dick Clark Productions Inc.
Corporate Headquarters
3003 W. Olive Ave.
Burbank, CA 91505

Don't forget, it was because of letters that MGM gave us an awesome edition of "UHF."

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Hope someone at MTV someday decides to release The Best Of ALTV. Many of the bits on the show were CLASSIC, including his faked interviews with rock stars like Vince Neil and George Harrison, and his "redoings" of famous music videos long before Beavis And Butthead deserve an audience today thru DVD.:emoji_thumbsup:

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
In addition to the Weird Al Show, I'd also love to have his more recent "AlTV" that aired on VH1. Those interviews were absolutely hilarious! The one with Eminem was classic. (I have a video clip of it, but I'd love to have the whole show on disc!)

Eminem: I don't owe nobody in my family nothin'.

Al: You don't owe nobody in your family nothing? Wow, that's a TRIPLE NEGATIVE!

:laugh:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
According to weirdal.com The Weird Al Show will be released by Shout! Factory this year, with "commentaries and junk"! Can't wait for this! :D

RyanAn

Screenwriter
In honor of this release, I shall eat a Gordita! (see my last post about my first expierence with Gorditas and Weird Al Show)

Oh, this is a story 'bout a guy named Al
And he lived in a sewer with his hamster pal
But the sanitation workers really didn't approve
So he packed up his accordion and had to move
To a city in Ohio where he lived in a tree
And he worked in a nasal decongestant factory
And he played on the company bowling team
And every single night he had a strange recurring dream
Where he was wearing lederhose in a vat of sour cream
But that's really not important to the story

Well, the very next year he met a dental hygienist
With a spatula tatooed on her arm (on her arm)
But he didn't keep in touch
And he lost her number
Then he got himself a job on a tator tot farm
And he spent his life-savings on a split-level cave
Twenty miles below the surface of the Earth (of the Earth)
And he really makes a might fine jelly bean and pickle sandwich
For what it's worth

Then one day Al was in the forest trying to get a tan
When he heard the tortured screaming of a funny little man
He was caught in a beart trap and Al set him free
And the guy that he rescued was grateful as could be
And it turns out he's a big-shot producer on TV
So he gives Al a contract and whaddya know
Now he's got his very own Weird Al show

yah!

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks