The Weight Loss Challenge..

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Apr 25, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I visited a link someone showed, wich is supposed to be for fun, but got me kind of depressed. It supposedly uses certain factors to estimate your death, and according to the clock, I have only 28 years left [​IMG].

So, what I'm going to try and do, is take a month to try and loose at least 10 pounds. I'm 240 now, I want to see if I can get down to 230 or 225.

The plan...

Where I'm going, in this case, the Jersey Shore, is all flatlands. So unlike up here in the land of hills, I can walk and ride the bike for miles without getting tired. So the plan is get up at 7AM for a month, and ride for about 10 miles a day. Easy enough for me, because I just go from Ortley Beach to Seaside Heights. Then, after lunch, take an hour or so walk along the same route back and forth...

Avoid eating McDonalds for one month(Wich is tough since I usually try to have it once every three days) and avoid stuff like Rye Bread. Cut back on the Coke as well, and only have one soda a day....wich is also kind of tough.

After that, at around 8 PM, go for a final hour long bike r ide and call it a day at 9.

It'll be interesting to see if these help the weight problem any, combined with some Trim Spa pills. I'll be the real test to see if those things work [​IMG].

Anyone think it's possible to lose at least ten pounds with that forumla?

2. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Neil, congrats on trying to shed those pounds. I just lost twenty-one pounds in about two months so if you stick with it you should do ten in a month. I went from 236 to 215 and I'm aiming to go to 205 although I imagine that those pounds will be harder to lose then the other ones.

Here's what I did. First, I gave up all junk food. No more McDonald's etc. Next, I stopped hitting the vending machines at work. Just three candy bars a day can add 1000 calories. Think about it that's 5000 a week. This was really tough for me the first week or so. I even locked my wallet in my car a few times so I wouldn't have the money to buy anything. I now eat fruit and veggies instead. As for meals, I eat a light lunch, maybe soup or a salad and have pretty much whatever I like for dinner (within certain limitations), but in smaller portions. As for beverages, I now only drink diet sodas or flavored water with no calories.

The other thing I do is use a treadmill. I'm up to five miles a day and I'm going for more.

If you do all the things you said, you should do pretty good. Just remember that you have to make yourself to do it EVERY day. There were days in the beginning when I really had to force myself but it's worth it now.

One other thing, ease into it. Don't try and ride 10 miles the first few days, work up to it. Give your body a chance to get use to it. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do well.

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Go, baby!

I'm down to 202 from original 213; my goal is 170. For most people a realistic goal is 5-8 pounds per month; 10 can be done, but you might lose some muscle along with the fat.

I'm doing pretty good on the dieting part; I just can't stay motivated on the exercise regime.

4. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I am down to 202 as well but from 226 back in January. I have all but cut soda out of my diet just water and iced tea now I have also cut portions. I now eat breakfast everyday which makes me eat less at lunch. The first week is the hardest but it gets easier every day.

I walk when I can but dont have a daily routine.d

Try to only weigh yourself once a week. You might want to keep a log as well. I would also not recomend the pills.... change your eating habbits and the weight will come off.

Good Luck and good for you![​IMG]

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

As for beverages, I now only drink diet sodas or flavored water with no calories.
    >>>

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Diet Soda was supposed to be worse for you then regular soda?

As far as keeping up with the routine goes, I don't mind walking so long as I have someplace to go. If it's walking just for the esake of walking, I won't do it.

So, the plan is to walk 5 miles or so to the Seaside Heights boardwalk and play video games for a while in the year round arcades [​IMG]..

6. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I am personally not into the 'how much you way determines your state of health and awareness.'

I weighed 230 when I graduated about 5 years ago. Over the next few years I lost 20 pounds staying away from beer, beer, beer, and more beer. So, at 210, I still had a decent sized spare tire around the middle. I have been now going to the gym for 8 months and have change my body copmpletely. I now have significant improvement is chest size, shoulder, lats, traps, bi's, tri's, and forearms. In fact, my weight is around 200 so it has only changed 10 pounds which is less than 5%. However, my body fat has dropped tremendously.

The goal to losing weight is diet, diet, diet. But if you are bustin your *ss every day lifting and being around health conscious people/environment it is bound to have positive effects on you. Also, everyone there is there for the same reason so socially it becomes a resource how to be much healthier.

Also, believe in balance. I still have my weekly beers and rum & cokes but balance them out with ingested caloric intake of food, meaning a pasta dinner with bread would not be followed by any booze whereas boneless chicken, rice, and fresh vegatables leave the window open for compromise.

Anyway good luck, my weight itself is really insignicant to me...I have the top two of my six pack showing and summer is just around the bend.....

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Not a good idea. True rye bread is high in fiber and good for you. Avoid white bread and other products not rich in fiber (whole rice instead of white rice, whole pasta instead of white pasta).

Also, a better indication of how you're doing is measuring your body fat percentage. Measuring weight can be deceiving as most of your weight loss might have been from losing muscle instead of fat.

Mark, pasta is actually a little better than rice if you're talking about enriched products. I would still recommend replacing them with whole rice/pasta.

8. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

10 pounds should't be a problem at all, a simple change in diet will do that, especially ditching soda and candy. Just make sure you lose it in the right place, from fat and not from muscle.

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

You've clearly identified problem elements of your current diet, but instead of cutting back on things like McDonalds and soda, why not just eliminate them all together?

10. Patrick Nevin

Patrick Nevin Stunt Coordinator

I lost 20 pounds just by eating less and mostly doing really good ab excersises, and working my legs and chest. I also use the elptical machine. I can notice it in my pants and some of my shirts. It feels great to loose that weight